• Colony

(2016)

Overview

In the near future a family must make difficult decisions as they balance staying together with trying to survive. They live in Los Angeles, which has been occupied by a force of outside intruders. While some people have chosen to collaborate with the authorities and benefit from the new order, others have rebelled — and suffer the consequences. Read more

Genres

• Science Fiction
    • Drama
  • I have just finished watching the 2nd series of Colony, and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it.

If you are not familiar with this America sci-fi series, here is a little review:

Colony comes from super producer Carlon Cuze, the man who brought us Bates Motel and the superb Lost. Talking of Lost, the main actor is none other than "Sawyer" from Lost, aka Josh Holloway.

The first series is set after a alien invasion, the aliens won. The series is set in the colony of Los Angeles which is separated from the outside world by a massive alien built wall. The colony is run by a elite group of people who have been chosen by the aliens to administer the colony and they do using their own police/military force.

The series centres around the Bowman family who live in the colony. WIll Bowman (Josh Holloway) who is a former soldier and FBI agent, goes to work for the occupying force as a means to try and find his missing son. While, unbeknown to him, his wife joins the resistance against the very people he now works for...

I won't say too much more, but if you are familiar with the 80s series V (not the remake) this is the same sort of thing with I assume the deliberate allegory being made of what the Nazis did in World War 2 between people who collude with occupying forces and those who work against them.

The first series was okay, but without ruining it for you, the 2nd series is much better. Key characters get mixed around and we get a much more multi-layered story in the 2nd series, than the first.

6.5/10 for the 1st series or "season" as they say over there and 8/10 for the 2nd season.

Info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_(TV_series)

Trailer

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Season three has arrived on American tv and also available from all good "outlets"...;) Saw the 1st episode last night.

Without spoiling it, this episode is taking the show in a new direction but as with many scifi shows, it's all very familiar territory. More in the spoiler box:

• Saw the 2nd ep last night, me thinks it needs to pick up the pace a bit. Too early in the season to judge this, but not as good so far as the previous two seasons.

• Just seen the last few episodes of season 3 and it was pretty good, but unfortunately that will be it for this series. It hasn't been renewed for season 4, so my alien invasion fix will have to be fed by something else.