Will Boris get Brexit done?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • I suppose it depends on what you classify as details. Do you mean the basic requirements, or the fine details? People start with the basics and then flesh it out, but once you are fairly certain that the basics will produce the required end result, and then you start spending time on details. That's what civil servants are for, isn't it, to flesh out the details and make them as watertight as possible?

I'm not in politics, but that's basically what happens with business ideas.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Maybe he hasn't had the opportunity to work it out yet, due to the hustings and his other commitments. If he does become PM then maybe he will take his time looking at different options before deciding which is best for the UK. It cannot be implemented across the board unless we leave the EU anyway, so he would be wise to concentrate on Brexit, for now.

If so, I think that approach is preferable to making snap decisions.

I get the impression that whatever Boris did, it would meet with your disapproval. I hope I am wrong.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Making speeches about policies you intend to bring in and not even bothering to spend a few minutes researching a few details, is sheer laziness, especially coming from someone who wants and is likely to become PM.

If he delivers Brexit or gets minions to do the work, then fine with me, but he's not someone I will ever warm to.

When did it it become the norm that tossers like Trump and Boris deserve so much hero worship? I find it bizarre.

• I suppose it depends on what you classify as details. Do you mean the basic requirements, or the fine details? People start with the basics and then flesh it out, but once you are fairly certain that the basics will produce the required end result, and then you start spending time on details. That's what civil servants are for, isn't it, to flesh out the details and make them as watertight as possible?

I'm not in politics, but that's basically what happens with business ideas.

Thank you Fidget, you've saved me saying much the same.

• Trump is great and has done his best to keep his promises, despite all the hindrances and obstacles put in his way. You need to look past his brashness and look at his achievements.

Hopefully, Boris will keep his promises too.

Here is the view of an American (I copied his post):

You could usefully comment on Donald Trump’s accomplishments against his campaign promises e.g.

Economy and Jobs

President Trump jump-started America’s economy into record growth, which created jobs and increased take-home pay for working Americans.

Immigration

President Trump protected the American homeland by enforcing immigration laws, so that every American can feel safe in their community.

Foreign Policy

By promoting fair and reciprocal trade, President Trump put America first. This includes exiting TPP, renegotiating NAFTA, and securing major new bilateral deals with major trading partners.

National Security and Defense

President Trump rebuilt our military, crushed ISIS, and confronted rogue nations to protect America and our allies.

Regulation

President Trump removed red tape and ended unnecessary regulations that stifle economic growth and prosperity.

Land and Agriculture

President Trump created a task force on agriculture and rural prosperity that included actions to improve the lives of rural Americans.

Law and Justice

President Trump partnered with local communities and worked with local law enforcement to protect American communities.

Energy and Environment

President Trump reversed years of policies that locked up American energy and restricted our ability to sell to other countries.

Government Accountability

One of President Trump’s biggest campaign promises was to make a government by and for the people. Throughout his first year in office, the President worked to drain the swamp and created more transparency.

Health Care

President Trump repealed the Obamacare individual mandate, expanded plan choices and increased competition to bring down costs for consumers.

Infrastructure and Technology

President Trump built stronger rural communities by ensuring Americans have access to the quality infrastructure they deserve.

Social Programs

President Trump and his Administration protected life by fighting back against illegal drug shipments, opioid abuse, and abortion service providers.

Education

President Trump and his Administration supported the expansion of school choice across the country so every parent has a voice

Veterans

President Trump made sure the government fulfilled its commitment to our country’s veterans by reforming the V.A., including firing the 500 worst managers in the agency, and providing education and health benefits.

• Thank you Fidget, you've saved me saying much the same.

We have the Boris fan club here.:P I feel I'm going to get ganged up against over the coming years during Boris' tenure in Downing St.

Did I ever say I actually quite liked Amber Rudd and would've quite like her to have taken over from May. No, I probably didn't, pretend I never said it.;)

• 1) He's not someone I will ever warm to.

2) When did it it become the norm that tossers like Trump and Boris deserve so much hero worship? I find it bizarre.

1) Are you looking for a friend or a Prime Minister?

2) I don't know how you define a tosser. Most dictionaries refer to masturbation. When Boris isn't politicking I'm pretty sure his gratification in that arena reaches greater heights

2 continued/.... One of the reasons some people such as you call him a tosser is because they can't be bothered to find out anything about him. That's not his fault but the media's, who are looking to malign him, create a titbit that can be built into a front page scandal or, failing that, at least prevent him justifying himself. You could learn about him by reading one of his books (Have I Got Opinions For You). If you don't choose to do that and can't describe what it is about him that you so steadfastly dislike then the question has to be asked: who's the tosser?

• Note to self, don't insult these blonde haired, womanizing, egotist idiots.

At your peril. :D

I'd rather have an out in the open, loud mouthed egoist than the smarmy, slimy gits we get these days who say one thing and then do the complete opposite or just fail to deliver.

• I'd rather have an out in the open, loud mouthed egoist than the smarmy, slimy gits we get these days who say one thing and then do the complete opposite or just fail to deliver.

Being positive on Boris for a second (as I feel I'm in the minority here who aren't keen on him) he will certainly provide more entertainment value that May ever could.

1) Are you looking for a friend or a Prime Minister?

2) I don't know how you define a tosser. Most dictionaries refer to masturbation. When Boris isn't politicking I'm pretty sure his gratification in that arena reaches greater heights

2 continued/.... One of the reasons some people such as you call him a tosser is because they can't be bothered to find out anything about him. That's not his fault but the media's, who are looking to malign him, create a titbit that can be built into a front page scandal or, failing that, at least prevent him justifying himself. You could learn about him by reading one of his books (Have I Got Opinions For You). If you don't choose to do that and can't describe what it is about him that you so steadfastly dislike then the question has to be asked: who's the tosser?

1. A PM. But whether the clown will fill that role, remains to be seen.

2. I'm in Essex, innit... its how we speak.:)

2 continued/.... I would hazard a bet that I know more about him and what goes on behind the scenes than you do.

Let me put it this way, if he was so popular during the original leader's contest a few years ago, why didn't he get more support from the very people who know him the best, that's the other MPs? There would've been no May and all what followed.

Any more other itemised, pithy questions for me? And I will read the book when/if I get the time.

• We have the Boris fan club here. :P I feel I'm going to get ganged up against over the coming years during Boris' tenure in Downing St.

If you think we are 'ganging up against you' then just shout out. So far, we have just given our views, the same as you have. Nobody has called you names or tried to belittle you.

I wouldn't say I am a fan of Boris. I think Boris could be a bit of a loose cannon, but maybe that is exactly what we need when dealing with the EU. We NEED someone who is a little unpredictable, so that the EU are kept guessing and cannot 'steer' him so easily, as they did with May.

• I agree with you on that Fidget, he will riffle feathers and that's exactly what is needed and luckily for him, the timing couldn't be better with far more anti-EU MEPs taking their seats in the European Parliament for the first time yesterday. That will get Merkel and co thinking.

And relax on the other stuff, I'm in tease mode.:saint: Blame it on the sun.^^

• Thanks for a useful list

Thinking about why, in spite of that list, so many people don't like him, the list is:

1 He says what he thinks

2 He can change his mind

3 He doesn't act in a presidential way

4 He is giving a really bad time rather than a welcome mat to people trying to get into his country illegally

5 He asks for too many mulligans in golf

6 He once in a while talked crudely about women when wanting to appear "one of the boys"

For me the first three are positives.

The 4th is necessary and no one has any better suggestion

The 5th is a bit sad but he knows he is only kidding himself. The rise in age and golf handicaps are strongly correlated

The 6th is a long time ago and embarrassing. But he's one of at least 3 revered US Presidents to disrespect or betray women

For the last 3 years we in Britain should have been so lucky

• I think Trump and Boris are a sign that times are changing and if this is true then thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster that they are able to stand up when everyone else has fallen down (mostly on their knees to some politically correct icon). Nigel Farage is also a sign of the times. He is the danger boy that possibly gave Boris a big shove into pole position as most trembling acolytes of the multiculti are genuinely scared of Farage. Maybe some see Boris as the lesser of two evils. (I think they are versions of the same evil and hope their kind can amalgamate in future and rebuild what Britain has lost.)

• 1 I think Trump and Boris are a sign that times are changing and if this is true then thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster that they are able to stand up when everyone else has fallen down (mostly on their knees to some politically correct icon).

2 Nigel Farage is also a sign of the times. He is the danger boy that possibly gave Boris a big shove into pole position as most trembling acolytes of the multiculti are genuinely scared of Farage. Maybe some see Boris as the lesser of two evils. I think they are versions of the same evil and hope their kind can amalgamate in future and rebuild what Britain has lost.)

Provided I have interpreted you correctly, I couldn't agree with you more.

1 Trump and Boris, each in their own thoroughly un-pc-way are the antidote to "politics". Because, let's face it, politics is a dirty word. Every time a client said to me "this research project is political" what he was invariably saying was "here is the result we expect, now go out and do the research" . More often than not this "bottom line briefing" was from a Nationalised corporation.

2 Are you suggesting here that Nigel Farage is so scary that he makes Boris look safe by comparison? That might be true. Also if not more likely - and this might be what you are suggesting - Nigel's natural tendency to tell it the way it is and win so many supporters has paved the way for Boris by legitimising outspokenness. I predict that once Boris has been endorsed as leader by semi-twitchy Conservative Party constituency members who recognise Boris is their Last Chance Saloon, he will be far less circumspect. I think he is entirely right to stay schtum until then. The Conservative Party constituency members don't want to hear Boris echoing their own thoughts, they want to hear Boris demonstrating in advance that come a General Election, he has the smarts not to scare the horses, aka that dumb or timid electorate tempted to vote for a politician in their own image - God help Britain from yet another "safe pair of hands". The best way Boris can win approval by being outspoken is to first of all bring home the bacon, not just Brexit but the months that immediately follow as Britain rediscovers how to succeed.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!