Will Boris get Brexit done?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • I cannot understand why Leavers keep quoting the referendum result yet are opposed to another referendum. Maybe they are scared of the likely result

Nothing to do with being scared, it's simply a case of honouring the result of the referendum. Otherwise we'll become like Ireland and keep voting until the "correct" result is achieved.

PS: Love your avatar. We have a Pets thread, if that's of any interest to you.:)

• Merkel: Backstop alternative 'possible within 30 days'

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has suggested an alternative to the Irish border backstop - a key Brexit sticking point - could be found within 30 days.

Speaking at a news conference alongside Prime Minister Boris Johnson in Berlin, she stressed it would be up to the UK to offer a workable plan.

After Tusk's uncompromising remarks the other day, is this a chink in the "must have a backstop" armour of the EU? She didn't say no to a alternative, but she wants clarity on what future EU/UK trade relations would look like, except she would've had her "clarity" if the EU had allowed us to talk trade with them in parallel with the exit over these last two years.

Boris meets Macron on Thursday and we all know how that will go, so Boris has got to decide whether he'll put effort into genuily trying to get a deal done with the EU in the short time left, or not bother. He's ordered our bureaucrats in Brussels to stop all EU meetings at the beginning of September unless it's something UK critical and concentrate on leaving. About time!

• casablancea. I was expressing a personal opinion and I made it clear I was expressing a personal opinion by use of the word 'I'. That's what forums are for, isn't it? If you don't like it ... tough.

You miss my point. With or without "I", I would still assume it's your opinion (rather than your cat's) and, yes, of course, that's what forums are for, only a moron (or your cat) would think otherwise.

"So what was his point?", I hear you cry so eagerly. It is that saying "I don't want it" is a vacuous and pointless opinion. It might work for as a way of summarily dismissing a suggested offer of a scarf, scent or lipstick (especially when the sales assistant doesn't give a toss what your reason was) but it doesn't exactly make your contribution in a forum enlightening. It could even be argued that such a response is symptomatic of a God complex, eg "I'm too superior and important to waste my time explaining to leer people the reason why I have dismissed that proposal". The only risk you run is that some people might wonder if you don't know the reason. But as you would say, that's just "tough"

• I cannot understand why Leavers keep quoting the referendum result yet are opposed to another referendum. Maybe they are scared of the likely result

Indeed, you DO understand why.

It's also why Remainders favour - or least are okay about - a second referendum. Even if the result was still to Leave the EU, Remainers would be comfortable in the knowledge that the result would be, as before, "advisory" or "for the consideration of Parliament"

• Nothing to do with being scared, it's simply a case of honouring the result of the referendum. Otherwise we'll become like Ireland and keep voting until the "correct" result is achieved.

PS: Love your avatar. We have a Pets thread, if that's of any interest to you.:)

"Honouring the result of the referendum"

That was the result of the peoples vote, not all of whom registered actually voted

In a similar way we have general election results over the past years, should we just accept the result of any one of them and stick with that result?

No, it is the vote of the people that matters and that changes as quickly as the wind changes

• After Tusk's uncompromising remarks the other day, is this a chink in the "must have a backstop" armour of the EU? She didn't say no to a alternative, but she wants clarity on what future EU/UK trade relations would look like, except she would've had her "clarity" if the EU had allowed us to talk trade with them in parallel with the exit over these last two years.

Boris meets Macron on Thursday and we all know how that will go, so Boris has got to decide whether he'll put effort into genuily trying to get a deal done with the EU in the short time left, or not bother. He's ordered our bureaucrats in Brussels to stop all EU meetings at the beginning of September unless it's something UK critical and concentrate on leaving. About time!

Merkel has played a political blinder, tossing the ball firmly back into Johnson's court. Preparing the ground for the eventual blame game

I think we will leave at the end of October removing the need for Farage and his party so all their support will revert to the Tories. They already have a significant lead in the opinion polls, and as we are clearly being prepared for a general election it will quickly follow

Tory win with a working majority

• "Honouring the result of the referendum"

That was the result of the peoples vote, not all of whom registered actually voted

In a similar way we have general election results over the past years, should we just accept the result of any one of them and stick with that result?

No, it is the vote of the people that matters and that changes as quickly as the wind changes

Except it doesn't, not on this issue.

If people don't vote, then they've got no reason to complain if they can't be bothered to get off their backsides.

I don't understand your comments about the general election results??:/

Merkel has played a political blinder, tossing the ball firmly back into Johnson's court. Preparing the ground for the eventual blame game

I think we will leave at the end of October removing the need for Farage and his party so all their support will revert to the Tories. They already have a significant lead in the opinion polls, and as we are clearly being prepared for a general election it will quickly follow

Tory win with a working majority

Yes, that looks like how its going, but I would prefer to leave with a good deal, rather than a no-deal.

• Brexit: Backstop indispensable, Macron tells Johnson

Boris Johnson has met Emmanuel Macron in Paris for Brexit talks, with the French president saying the UK's vote to quit the EU must be respected.

But he added that the Ireland-Northern Ireland backstop plan was "indispensable" to preserving political stability and the single market.

I hope the news channels will show the full press briefing that the both of them did, because going by what Macron was quoted as saying, it doesn't look too good although the body language in the clip between the two men looked positive, so not sure what to make of this yet.

Am I right in thinking Boris is a fluent French speaker??:/

• Am I right in thinking Boris is a fluent French speaker??

Boris speaks Latin, French and Italian fluently, with passable German and Spanish.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Victory for Boris?

Boris Johnson raised his arms high in the air in an apparent expression of triumph this evening on his return from unexpectedly encouraging talks with European counterparts.

Both Emmanuel Macron today, and Angela Merkel yesterday, gave the British PM a glimmer of hope of pulling off his plan to leave the EU with a deal which does not include the hated Irish backstop.

Looks like Boris was happy when he returned from Paris last night. Perhaps we might yet get a exit agreement after all??

• Before we get on today's news that's just appeared, lets deal with events over the past few days first:

Brexit: Job of Parliament is to 'get this thing done' - Johnson

"The job of everybody in Parliament" is to deliver Brexit, the PM has said at the end of the G7 summit in France.

Boris Johnson also said he was "marginally more optimistic" about striking a new Brexit deal with the EU.

But he refused to be drawn on whether he would suspend Parliament to stop it preventing a no-deal exit.

Of course we have the answer to that, back to that in a minute... but Boris seems optimistic he will get Brexit done. Hope he's right!

Brexit: Opposition MPs agree strategy to block no deal

Jeremy Corbyn says opposition MPs will take the first steps towards trying to pass a law blocking a no-deal Brexit when Parliament returns next week.

The Labour leader was speaking after meeting other opposition leaders to discuss ways of averting a no deal.

The move could force the PM to ask the EU for a further Brexit delay, beyond the current 31 October deadline.

So, Corbyn, Jo Swinson, the Greens, Scottish nationalists are all lined up against a no deal Brexit. The battle lines are drawn...:evil:

• Government to ask Queen to suspend Parliament

The Queen will be asked by the government to suspend Parliament just days after MPs return to work in September - and only a few weeks before the Brexit deadline.

BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg says it will make way for Boris Johnson's new administration to hold a Queen's Speech - laying out the government's plans - on 14 October.

But it means MPs are unlikely to have time to pass any laws that could stop the prime minister taking the UK out of the EU without a deal on 31 October.

There we go, the nuclear option:!:

From the remainers point of view, how can we "take back control" if we take away the ability of parliament to do its job? (playing devil's advocate here) Of course, those of us on the leave side, would say parliament is not doing its job in the first place, by in effect trying to block Brexit.

A few weeks ago, the papers were reporting that both the government and MPs would not involve the queen in Brexit, I guess that's been thrown out of the door now.

We've not had a Queen's Speech for years now, so the government is perfectly entitled to hold one, but is it entitled to hold one at this specific moment. From those of us with republican leanings, for the queen to intervene in all this is an absolute no-no. For those of us who want to leave the EU, it's brilliant timing. What a quandary!

Will the queen suspend parliament?:/ Cue the Supreme Court then getting involved aka Gina Miller et all all getting their boot in?

• Bercow weighing in now saying "it's a constitutional outrage." He said he's had no contact with the government over the matter. John Major, Phillip Hammond all weighing in too.

The MPs always have their three week conference season starting mid September, so it will be interesting to see if they go ahead with that or not. They can't complain of Boris stopping parliament doing its job, when in effect after coming back from their summer holiday's, they then go and have another holiday straight away.

Grieve on too now.:thumbdown:

• The Remainers have played dirty, and they are in breach of their own votes in Parliament, in breach of their promises to the electorate, and in breach of democracy itself. I hope they work themselves into such a frenzy they have a meltdown.

Most of all, I hope the undemocratic arrogant tosspots all find themselves unemployed after the next GE.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!