Will Boris get Brexit done?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Quite frankly all this palaver over Brexit is nothing more than I expected right from the very beginning, parliament got the result from the referendum they didn't expect or want and so have done everything they can to prevent the UK leaving the EU, even the so called Brexiteer MPs like Boris, Reese Mugg and whoever have failed to convince me they ever meant it and were only ever trying to appease the voters who chose to leave the EU, I see us ending up having another referendum and they will have convinced enough voters that is just not worth the effort and the result this time will be to remain.

• The signs are the opposite Ron. 35% of Remain voters now want to leave. They respect democracy and don't want to lose it. No doubt many of those will be some who voted Remain in response to the pre-referendum Project Fear. I personally know some people who succumbed to that threat, but the pre-ref Project Fear was thoroughly discredited and they won't be fooled a second time.

All the Remainers need to do is p!ss people off so much that they don't bother voting. If that happens, then democracy will die a death at the hands of the electorate.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• .... parliament got the result from the referendum they didn't expect or want ....

You're right. Doesn't that fact alone display their error of judgement? They got Project Fear totally wrong, didn't they? The UK, despite all the uncertainty, is doing better than ever.

They are NOT blessed with precognition at all, are they? Who says they are right about anything when they have proved themselves to be wrong so often?

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• The signs are the opposite Ron. 35% of Remain voters now want to leave. They respect democracy and don't want to lose it. No doubt many of those will be some who voted Remain in response to the pre-referendum Project Fear. I personally know some people who succumbed to that threat, but the pre-ref Project Fear was thoroughly discredited and they won't be fooled a second time.

All the Remainers need to do is p!ss people off so much that they don't bother voting. If that happens, then democracy will die a death at the hands of the electorate.

I don't know which poll you looked at but this poll of polls shows a completely different story

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/s…the-referendum/

• An interesting video on Raheem Kassams facebook page. Please watch.

Broken promises

How many times did the MPs say we respect the decision of the British people/the referendum? That Dominic Grieve bit...:cursing::cursing:

Classic. Someone should get one of those articulated lorries with a giant video screen on the back of it, park it outside parliament and play that.

Although it's funny, it's not. It illustrates how deceptive they are.

• The choice of a Scottish court rather than an English court is very telling, don't you think?

I was trying not to make that inference.... but I don't think the English judges think any differently, but we'll see.

Proroguing parliament is not illegal, that was the original decision of the lower court and the Supreme Court should uphold it. As the original judge said, it wasn't for the court to get involved in politics.

• As the original judge said, it wasn't for the court to get involved in politics.

Quite right. To do so would set a dangerous precident in that any parliamentary decision could be challenged in the courts just by an individual or organisation with sufficeint funds to push it through. Sooner or later a judge will overturn a parliamentary decision and then chaos ensues.

• I don't know which poll you looked at but this poll of polls shows a completely different story

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/s…the-referendum/

No idea on the accuracy of the polls, but the news channels visited various Labour towns yesterday, I saw a report from Grimsby. From that report, there were many voters who will vote for Farage and some of them said they would even vote for Boris and that's coming from life long labour supporters.

If Labour have seen those same reports, I fear they may never agree to a GE, because it wouldn't be in their interests to do so. They might as well cling on to what power they have for as long as they can.

• Quite right. To do so would set a dangerous precident in that any parliamentary decision could be challenged in the courts just by an individual or organisation with sufficeint funds to push it through. Sooner or later a judge will overturn a parliamentary decision and then chaos ensues.

For Labour, Lib Dems, Gina Miller, John Major et ell to say there is a democracy defect is ridiculous when Boris has been blocked in having a GE. I hope the law lords/justices see sense here.

• Quite frankly all this palaver over Brexit is nothing more than I expected right from the very beginning, parliament got the result from the referendum they didn't expect or want and so have done everything they can to prevent the UK leaving the EU, even the so called Brexiteer MPs like Boris, Reese Mugg and whoever have failed to convince me they ever meant it and were only ever trying to appease the voters who chose to leave the EU, I see us ending up having another referendum and they will have convinced enough voters that is just not worth the effort and the result this time will be to remain.

Or, the vote to leave will be stronger than ever. We're not the Irish who changed their vote.

As I keep saying this is a pivot point in our history and once done, if done, the country will go in a different direction and so the elites are resisting this with every breath in their bodies.

• I was trying not to make that inference.... but I don't think the English judges think any differently, but we'll see.

Proroguing parliament is not illegal, that was the original decision of the lower court and the Supreme Court should uphold it. As the original judge said, it wasn't for the court to get involved in politics.

The English judges have already basically said "nothing to do with us", and I imagine the Supreme court will take the same view

• Can you imagine the future if Remainers manage to overturn the biggest democratic vote in UK history? It is too scary. We would be completely at the mercy of the politicians, and the EU!

• I think there would be a riot of they are stupid enough to thwart the will of the people in that way.

We keep hearing about democracy and the result of the referendum being sacrosanct

That was three years ago and is already out of date, all the indications are that today would be a totally different result. Even recent elections have confirmed that

So lets have some more democracy and another referendum. Leavers don't want that of course because they know what the result would be

Mrs T had a word for them "Frit, frit, frit"

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!