Will Boris get Brexit done?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Why not a election?

The Remainers no longer want a GE. They want a referendum because their seats are not at risk with a referendum, and they can't ignore or override the result of a GE. Self interest, as usual. I expect the Remainers will lie during any election campaign, as they did last time around. The electorate won't be deceived again.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I think Boris is lining up several options here, here's a story from Boomberg in the week that I've just come across, but unfortunately it's a behind a paywall and I don't subscrive to the service, but the headline gives us a big clue. Rather interesting, I think.:):

EU Fears Boris Johnson Will Persuade Hungary to Veto Brexit Delay

• I suppose the UK could replace Hungary's receipts from the EU for a couple of years, and still be quids in!

PS. It would be a much better use of our 'foreign aid', if it was used to buy our sovereignty and freedom from the EU.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I suppose the UK could replace Hungary's receipts from the EU for a couple of years, and still be quids in!

PS. It would be a much better use of our 'foreign aid', if it was used to buy our sovereignty and freedom from the EU.

"Freedom"?

If we leave the EU we will become another US state

Just imagine life under Trump ;(

• "Freedom"?

If we leave the EU we will become another US state

Just imagine life under Trump ;(

IF Trump demands a large annual payment, supremacy of US law over UK law, free movement, control of our worldwide trade ... then I'll agree with you, but not before!

• To be honest, if would put the matter to rest, I'd be okay with another referendum, but what guarantee would there be that the result would be accepted the second time around? None, me thinks.

Yes, that the whole damn point. The next referendum will suffer from the same handicap as the previous referendum, which is that it will be "subject to consideration" by the dead hand of Parliament. I have yet to find any tv or press journalist or interviewer raising this point with any politician. Which is really weird. As far as I've noticed, only Nigel Farage has dismissed a second referendum on the very point. So when dumb members of the electorate shout "we just want to have our say", it's a futile and mindless request.

BTW: I just noticed Bibbles posting on thread last Thursday afternoon and my response and our subsequent conversation have all been deleted. Is that a computer glitch or just your of settling a debate you realise you can't win? Are you going to remove this posting too?! Will I wake up one day and wonder if I'm in Beijing?

• Yes, that the whole damn point. The next referendum will suffer from the same handicap as the previous referendum, which is that it will be "subject to consideration" by the dead hand of Parliament. I have yet to find any tv or press journalist or interviewer raising this point with any politician. Which is really weird. As far as I've noticed, only Nigel Farage has dismissed a second referendum on the very point. So when dumb members of the electorate shout "we just want to have our say", it's a futile and mindless request.

Agreed. Also, nobody ever questions how they expect to get anything close to a 'good' deal from the EU, which is what they 'claim' to want. I note Jo Swinson has admitted the truth now, and says she wants to revoke A50 without a referendum. I do hope she realises she isn't the PM, and is never likely to be PM unless she graciously allows us plebs to have a GE.

• Agreed. Also, nobody ever questions how they expect to get anything close to a 'good' deal from the EU, which is what they 'claim' to want. I note Jo Swinson has admitted the truth now, and says she wants to revoke A50 without a referendum. I do hope she realises she isn't the PM, and is never likely to be PM unless she graciously allows us plebs to have a GE.

Swinson is incapable of a straight answer. Every time she was asked a question about specific issues she deflected and gave a soapbox response. I would have loved it if the interview (not a hope it being Marr) would say to her: I've asked you about three issues which affect British citizens and you deflect and talk in generalities about what the Liberal Party stands for. If you intend carrying on in that way when there is a general election, good luck with that. Thanks for coming on today and helping viewers to get to know you better

• Boris could shut down Parliament AGAIN if Remainers launch another desperate bid to block No Deal

The PM has been reportedly plotting with Dominic Cummings and other close advisers over an emergency Brexit plan if he is defeated at the Supreme Court or loses another battle against MPs.

This is one of the other things that Boris and Cummings have been plotting.

Boris meets The Drunk (Juncker) later today, so lets see how that goes.

• I've just watched on BBC a public announcement by Xavier Bettel, Luxembourg's PM, usually a mild amiable fellow, making his position - and that of the EU - brutally clear, that they think the UK have been behaving for the last few years - and are still behaving - like a bunch of time-wasting wankers.

It's probably too early to capture an unedited video recording of that speech but the weblink is at least quoting verbatim some of the key points of what Mr Bettel said

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/…ews-latest-news

I would not be at all surprised if one of these four things happen:

1) the EU will breathe a huge sigh of relief when Britain leaves without a deal - anything just to get rid of a bunch of nutcases

2) the EU will be more relieved if (1) happens than if Britain rescinds Article 50 - having us in the EU is a horror version of Groundhog Day

3) the EU will give us a better deal (and get away with charging us for it) just to make sure we leave rather than rescind article 50

4) the EU won't grant an extension. What for? A 2nd referendum that says "Remain"? EU response: "aaargggh! Thanks but no thanks"

Fairly soon the whole world will see us the same way the EU does

• Boris said before he became PM that 70% of May's withdrawal agreement was fine, so if the backstop was removed, there wouldn't be much work to reword the rest of the agreement. Lock the negotiators up in a room for a week and it could be done.

The EU has to make a decision, do we leave the EU without a deal and the chaos that will cause them harm too or drop the backstop, accept they will not be able to control us anymore and do a deal.

If if wasn't for our MPs, the EU would've finally accepted that we are leaving the EU and they would talk, at the moment they're still not sure whether we're leaving or not because we're not sure whether we're leaving or not.

• Boris Johnson to 'see what judges say' on recalling Parliament

Boris Johnson has said he will "wait and see what the judges say" before deciding whether to recall Parliament.

The Supreme Court will hear two appeals that will determine whether the prime minister acted lawfully in suspending Parliament for five weeks.

Edinburgh's Court of Session said the shutdown was unlawful and London's High Court said it was not a court matter.

On Monday the PM visited Luxembourg for Brexit talks, but the EU said it was yet to see concrete proposals.

So Gina Miller returns to the Supreme Court with her circus entourage in tow including Labour's Shami Chakrabarti, the Scottish nationalists and John Major. What a combination!

As with the original Miller case, her lawyer is again Lord Pannick who unfortunately is superb and although the players in the actual government has changed, the lawyer hasn't. James Eadie will represent Boris and the government.

Here's a BBC note on the timetable of the case:

The case is starting now on the news channels or on the court's website:

https://www.supremecourt.uk/live/court-01.html

Let the circus begin!:thumbdown:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!