Will Boris get Brexit done?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • "Brexit campaign 'had racism at its heart' says Labour leadership outsider Clive Lewis as he lashes out at Leave leaders claiming non-white Britons had 'a sense of dread' after the 2016 referendum"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7…live-Lewis.html

I wasn't aware that citizens from the EU were 'non-white' Does this guy know what he is talking about?

The reason Brixiteers want to stem the tide of immigration is simply that we cannot cope with these numbers and as part of the EU, we are powerless to address the problem.

• He's right in that the original UKIP campaign was racist in that they wanted to ban immigration of non white people. When this was publicised, especially the racism element, Farage and co hurriedly switched the campaign to include EU residents

This immigration policy gained ground and people openly said that they were against immigration as their reason for voting Leave. Even Gordon Brown got in on the act by talking about "British jobs for British people"

Of course so many of those jobs the British people refuse to do which is why we need unskilled workers

• I wish I could be more confident, but Parliament still has a majority that are outright Remainers and 'pretend' Leavers. That's why we were forced to have a WA that gives the EU some continuing control over our constitution, rather than just Leave and break all ties.

The crunch will come if the government has to choose between a bad free trade deal, or no deal. I suspect we will end up with a bad deal if that situation arises, although I understand Parliament itself won't be given a choice. It will be decided by the government, which still has plenty of Remainers within it.

Do you give the EU the same rights? Break all ties with UK, No trade, ban on financial system. A complete break of all ties and make UK the North Korea of Europe?

• He's right in that the original UKIP campaign was racist in that they wanted to ban immigration of non white people. When this was publicised, especially the racism element, Farage and co hurriedly switched the campaign to include EU residents

This immigration policy gained ground and people openly said that they were against immigration as their reason for voting Leave. Even Gordon Brown got in on the act by talking about "British jobs for British people"

Of course so many of those jobs the British people refuse to do which is why we need unskilled workers

Nige can speak for himself, but all the Brexiteers I know are of the view that the current levels of immigration are unsustainable. Our public services are creaking - particularly the NHS, and this is why we cannot afford to carry on as we are.

It's nothing to do with race. It is about controlling population levels to levels that we can cope with.

• Do you give the EU the same rights? Break all ties with UK, No trade, ban on financial system. A complete break of all ties and make UK the North Korea of Europe?

Your imagination is running away with you. No ties, means no compulsion to accept EU diktats. Voluntary trade via WTO is far preferable to a bad trade deal.

And yes, I am happy for the EU not to have to obey UK diktats too.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Nige can speak for himself, but all the Brexiteers I know are of the view that the current levels of immigration are unsustainable. Our public services are creaking - particularly the NHS, and this is why we cannot afford to carry on as we are.

It's nothing to do with race. It is about controlling population levels to levels that we can cope with.

The answer is to expand those "creaking public services"

• Your imagination is running away with you. No ties, means no compulsion to accept EU diktats. Voluntary trade via WTO is far preferable to a bad trade deal.

That's always assuming there is any world trade

Liam Fox spent two years trawling the world looking for deals, result - zilch

• That's sheer propaganda, but in any case we don't need any deals. We can manage perfectly well on WTO. Most of our trade is via WTO already.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• You can trade perfectly well without a trade deal and we do with many countries. Trade deals just make it easier by agreeing standards and tariffs.

But then you're into tariffs

At the moment the UK consumers have the benefit of cheap produce from the EU, it will be interesting to see what will happen if that ceases

• But then you're into tariffs

At the moment the UK consumers have the benefit of cheap produce from the EU, it will be interesting to see what will happen if that ceases

Actually, many of our imports will be cheaper!

The EU doesn't want tariffs either, because it will mean paying more for the goods imported from Britain. Common sense will prevail in the end.

• The EU doesn't want tariffs either, because it will mean paying more for the goods imported from Britain. Common sense will prevail in the end.

Especially as they have a massive surplus from trading with the UK. If we can buy cheaper elsewhere, they will lose that trade.

• Your imagination is running away with you. No ties, means no compulsion to accept EU diktats. Voluntary trade via WTO is far preferable to a bad trade deal.

The WTO is dead. We live in a world where the big fish eat the small ones. And the UK is a incredible small fish.

• Stop worrying about the UK, Darioush. We'll be fine. Stick to sorting out Iran's problems.

• The UK happens to be the sixth largest economy in the world. So not really incredibly small....

Im sure USA, China and EU will be very respectful with UK...

How did China Xi Jinping label UK? A small open air museum?

Tell me what negotiation power the UK can wield against Trump who is MAGA and believes in zero sum games. Which means his trade deals know only winner and loser.

The USA treat you like shit. Same counts for China. Lets hope the EU will show some mercy.

• Im sure USA, China and EU will be very respectful with UK...

How did China Xi Jinping label UK? A small open air museum?

Tell me what negotiation power the UK can wield against Trump who is MAGA and believes in zero sum games. Which means his trade deals know only winner and loser.

The USA treat you like shit. Same counts for China. Lets hope the EU will show some mercy.

Why do you and some others make the assumption that we would enter into a trade deal that would be bad for us? Your mindset on this is an example of the negativism that is so typical of remainers.

If we can't get a deal with the US that is mutually beneficial, then we don't do the deal. It's not rocket science. There is no trade deal in place between the US and the EU, so we would lose nothing if we failed to clinch a deal.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!