Pence: US era of strategic patience with North Korea over

• US Vice-President Mike Pence has said his country's "era of strategic patience" with North Korea is over.

Mr Pence first made the remarks at the demilitarised zone (DMZ), the area dividing the two Koreas, during a visit to South Korea to reaffirm ties.

His visit comes amid escalated tensions on the peninsula, with heated rhetoric from both North Korea and the US.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-39618573

So far, the usual tactic of the North Koreans has been to ramp up the rhetoric every year then, once they'd got some sort of concessions, to ease the tensions. Pence says ' No more.' We've all been here before with the USSR and the Cold War for years but Kim Jong Ún is a lunatic with possibly WMDs at his disposal. China will have to be the main player in cooling things down this time.

I'm not getting the Vera Lynn records out of the loft just yet but I know where they are, just in case.

• They'll be no cooling down now, Trump has pretty much said that. The North Koreans are getting closer and closer to putting a nuclear warhead on a missile that can reach us. They've had their chance.

The elephant in the room here is China which has always supported North Korea up to now. But since China cut off their coal supplies to North Korea, even they are losing patience.

There is something like a million soldiers facing each other across the Korean border. That would be absolute bloodshed, if things do kick off.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Not everything is as it appears:

Source

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

Red = Mod. Abide by it.

• I agree with this opinion. They are probably full of brickdust. But there is no point in letting Babyface develop an arsenal worth worrying about if he starts getting friendly with certain angry sects who like blowing up the west.