Turkey referendum: Vote expanding Erdogan powers 'valid'

• The result of the referendum that grants sweeping new powers to the president of Turkey is valid, the head of the electoral body says.

Sadi Guven was speaking after the main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP) cited irregularities, including the use of unstamped ballot papers.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's push for an executive presidency succeeded with just over 51% of the vote.

The win was met with both celebrations and protests across Turkey.

The CHP has demanded a recount of 60% of the votes.
    But Mr Guven told reporters on Monday the unstamped ballot papers had been produced by the High Electoral Board and were valid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39618614

I can't see this result being overturned without bloodshed. I hope I'm wrong but my opinion is that we are now heading for a strict Islamic dictatorship in Turkey under Erdogan. Stand by for another refugee crisis which is going to dwarf anything we've had so far.

• I hope not Morgan, I hope not. Turkey has a huge population and even if just a small percentage flees, that is bad news.

On Erdogan, he is just getting worse and worse. It's been going on for years and it was obvious where this will end, as you say, with a strict Islamic state. Which is why some of the military had that attempt at a coup.

Unfortunately and this probably the case for across the Muslim world, as many people are moderate, the same again want to go back to medieval times. But Turkey is closer than the Arab despot countries countries and it's impact on Europe could be far greater.

But hey, that's democracy. The alternative in these countries is hard men like Assad to keep the extreme element in check.

• And there they were trying their best to get Turkey into the EU 8|.

He's talking about having a referendum on restoring the death penalty. They won't want Turkey in then. In fact I think they can't.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif