South Africa on the March!

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • I think all these situations, worldwide, are a matter of keeping things in the group, the same way corruption kept things in the family and the Church kept crimes well hidden and protected. The corporation and governments of today are the churches and aristocracies of the past. Eventually, something breaks the shell and out comes the avenging raptor to seek justice.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• Do you reckon he'll get impeached? If most of parliament is made up of ANC members, it doesn't seem likely to me.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• The Democratic Alliance have tried to get a vote of no confidence several times and failed simply because comrades stick together (pun intended), so who knows what will happen with an impeachment effort? Bill Clinton survived one. 8)

• Is Cyril in the parliament? As the new ANC leader, he maybe able to push through a vote, if he's minded to do so, although he probably won't risk upsetting too much of his core vote from within the ANC.

• Cyril is ANC party President. I can't see him tolerating Zuma as Prez if he can help it.

• Oh, you'll think he'll try and get rid of Zuma soon?

• Who knows what is going to happen? ?(

• Democratic Alliance launches forum and is going for the elections in 2019 with a lot of hope.

DA Forum launch

• I'm going to find some time to read up on SA this year, LW, as I'm unfamiliar with the politics (beyond what you post here) of your country. I don't know enough about the ethic, tribal make-up of the country and how that feeds, or not, into the politics. Basically I want to find out whether anyone, including the DA, has any chance of beating the ANC.

• Ethnicity actually has little to do with things these days, H. It's a question of old guard and po-faced cadres of the struggle who refuse to admit that the emperor is naked and the ANC is corrupt and the new generation who are utterly fed up with being seen as backward, underprivileged and incapable. They desperately need to break that image and the DA is the best route. All anyone needs do is give the DA a chance and Mmusi Maimane a chance as leader and vote them in. They can always vote them out if they don't perform.

• You did say just before Christmas that ethnicity has nothing to do with things now, LW, I recall that now.

If the ANC don't lose their crown in the next elections, then that all but means that SA is a one party state and we all know what that means. Lets hope enough people are tired of the old regime.

• Even if the ANC win the election, SA isn't a one party state. The DA is big and growing and we have 13 parties represented in the National Assembly.

• Do you belong to a political party LW?

• No.

I support the Democratic Alliance, though. I'm not politically oriented. I will appreciate any party that governs fairly and whose economic policies are beneficial to the people and not to any other aspect of self-aggrandizement of politicians as a separate elite class.

• Yesterday, when Mr V was in a shopping mall buying stuff for his trip to China, Julius Malema and his outfit came into the centre and entered a shop and trashed the place. Apparently they were protesting against a shop selling shirts with images of monkeys on them. The police were called and the centre went into lock down.

The blacks working there were apparently spitting mad with Julius. Mr V said you could see that they detested him. One said he is making Africans look idiotic. Good sign. Fix this by voting Democratic Alliance in 2019.

• I think that story, not that particular incident, but generally, made the news in the UK. I gather there were national protests all over SA and the protests were against racist images.

• I just know about the shop incident. There are so many of these stupid things now that no one takes any notice. Julius is struggling to get attention, as usual, and the ANC is burbling down the drain. The rest of the country is barbecuing.

• The story made it onto BBC News' website the other day. There were loads of these protests all over the country.

• Shows how insignificant they really are, I didn't even know. ^^

• South Africa's President Jacob Zuma has defied his party and refused to step down, according to media reports.

He and senior members of the African National Congress (ANC) held talks on Sunday but no details of their meeting have been released.

Looks like Zuma is about to get ousted as president of South Africa.

The ANC are holding a meeting right now to decide whether to get rid of him.

• I don't know all the background but surely if Zuma was elected by the nation, how can his party chuck him out of the presidency? I can see how they can replace him as the President of the ANC.

You can see how it can happen here as the Prime minister is just part of the party government and can be "swapped out" like Bliar and Brown.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• They can't Heero, you're right.

The ANC can "recall him" to appear before them and ask him to stand down as they did with the last president, who did resign, but he doesn't have to resign as president of the country. The only other option would be to use force against him.

Cyril Ramaphosa, the new ANC leader was on the BBC's Hardtalk programme the other day. Available on iplayer.

• South Africa's governing African National Congress (ANC) has formally asked President Jacob Zuma to resign for the sake of the country.

But despite the ANC's top leadership deciding to "recall" him "urgently", the scandal-hit Mr Zuma was still in power on Tuesday.

He is expected to respond to the request on Wednesday, an official said.

Doesn't look like Zuma will step down. The article goes on to say that the only legal way to remove him is if the SA parliament holds a no-confidence vote in him, but they don't think that is likely.

There's always the old fashioned way - a gun...

• South African police raided the family home of businessmen friends of President Jacob Zuma on Wednesday morning amid a probe into allegations that the family used their links with the president to win state contracts and influence Cabinet appointments.

The raid, which the state broadcaster said resulted in two arrests including one Gupta family member, came amid reports Zuma was preparing to tell South Africa he was stepping down after nine years in office dogged by scandal and economic stagnation.

Looks like now the Gupta's patron's power is on the wane that the police have finally grown some.

Zuma will be next unless he can do some deal with the ANC.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Ahh, do you reckon Heero, they might try the corruption route and try and oust him that way, by raiding his home and basically making his life totally miserable??

• Ahh, do you reckon Heero, they might try the corruption route and try and oust him that way, by raiding his home and basically making his life totally miserable??

Could be. It's less contraversial than a bullet to the back of the neck and probably quicker than getting parliament to impeach him. If the once invulnerable Gupta's are banged up then the writing is on the wall for Zuma.

I suspect that the "solution" will be to spirit him away one night to edge up in another African country as a "guest" where the SA police can't get to him. I'm sure there are many others, like the Gupta's, that would be willing to pay for that silence with a luxury retirement compound in a foreign land.

4312-gwban-gif

• Zuma just made a statement, it was carried live on BBC news. Basically, it doesn't sound like he is going to stand down. So, if he won't go, they'll be a no confidence vote in the parliament next.

• Now we see if he can deal his way out of a police investigation or just high-tails it to a foreign land.

4312-gwban-gif

• I must say I did not expect him to stand down.

When he was making a speech earlier in the day, he was defiant, so assumed he was going to be some sort of Putin character, but clearly he doesn't have the stomach for that.

I think your option B is probably the correct one, Heero. He's got a lot of dosh and not going to want to spend the rest of his life in a prison cell when he can live the high life somewhere else.

Now we get the new guy as president soon, someone with a history of fraud and corruption who's main aim is to fight fraud and corruption when he takes office.X/:rolleyes:

• I think your option B is probably the correct one, Heero. He's got a lot of dosh and not going to want to spend the rest of his life in a prison cell when he can live the high life somewhere else.

If I was filthy rich I'd make for the hills PDQ befor the cops felt my collar.

Now we get the new guy as president soon, someone with a history of fraud and corruption who's main aim is to fight fraud and corruption when he takes office. X/

New Boss, same as the old Boss? We'll have to see.

4312-gwban-gif