South Africa on the March!

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Thanks LW.

I think as long as this remains an internal ANC issue, I don't see there being any immediate problems for SA. But if the MDC are of a different tribe and feel, as they have been, that they are being dominated by another tribe with no chance to decide their own destinies, that is when problems will occur.

Some of the pundits in the West, in reference to the bloodshed in Syria and the Middle East, say that when borders are redrawn, it tends to be in blood. One continent where the borders are as the Europeans drew them, is Africa. If the Africans start to "correct" the mistakes of the past and rejoin broken tribes split between two or more different countries, then the problems will start.

From my distant vantage point, I don't see this on the horizon for SA yet. Lets see what happens.

• No, it isn't likely in SA. SA is a very modern country. People are all much aware of who they are and so on, but no one cares to make this a political thing any more. Our problem is corruption.

• Mayor Herman Mashaba, Democratic Alliance mayor of the city of Johannesburg. Constantly criticised by the ANC, yet doing so much to improve the degraded status of the business hub of South Africa.

Have a look at what he is and what he's doing and see that Africa isn't all about failure, it's actually steadily all about fighting failure to achieve success.

Mayor Mashaba

• If the MDC or somebody else is allowed to govern SA without the shackles of being in a coalition with the ANC, there would be a sign of enormous progress for SA.

SA is Africa's most powerful and advanced country, so SA needs to show the way first before other change and I'm sure it will happen.

• The MDC is from Zimbabwe, the DA is from South Africa. The MDC and the DA would make an excellent alliance if they could get into power in their respective countries.

The DA is the local government in four major South African cities at the moment and governs the whole Western Cape province. They are keen to try and take the province of Gauteng (where I live.) They already have the big cities, Pretoria and Johannesburg here. Up to the electorate to do the smart thing and give them a chance.

• On the ANC front it looks increasingly likely that deputy Ramaphosa may be able to unseat Zuma:

The latest estimations based on 74% of branch general meeting nominations place Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa in the lead for the ANC presidency. Yet, the race is still too close to call, says the IRR's Frans Cronje.
  • My only excuse is, I am trying to do setup things, looking at Wotlab's as well as Google's own help forum, as well as other places and half watching complex Brexit debate on tv too.

That's my excuse anyone and I'm sticking to it!^^

I also thinking of dinner now too, so my brain is getting overloaded!:S:D

Back to the topic of South Africa!

• I think you might be getting some interesting news from me on that front in the future as Mugabe's removal has fired up the anti-Zupta brigade here. They are thinking, "One down, one to go."

• Looks like Cyril Ramaphosa is going to be nominated for replacement Prez in December.

Ramaphosa set for presidential nod from ANC

I haven't really followed the politics in SA. Is he any different to Zuma? Seeing as they both come from the same party will there be any change to policy?

• He's very different. Different tribe and he's a businessman. Ramaphosa should have been made Prez after Mandela retired, but the job was given to old guard comrades instead and Zuma finally got rid of MBeki and is now doing a Robert Mugabe on SA.

If Ramaphosa gets the hot seat, and it looks likely, we can hope for a less racist, less corrupt admin. That is, if Ramaphosa can control the badasses in the government right now. Time will tell. The State Capture issue is still looming large and things are kinda hanging by a thread in SA.

The best solution, of course, is to vote in the opposition Democratic Alliance in 2019, but that can be made difficult by zillions of voters who simply vote in the people they have voted in by tradition (as you know from Britain).

Things in South Africa are not what some say they are on the internet. They give the impression on one hand that it's all nasty white folks still in control (utter rubbish). Or they say that it's a primitive sh*thole going nowhere (also utter rubbish).

What will happen if someone doesn't reverse the damage is that we shall go down the pan on account of corruption and unwise voting.

So Ramaphosa is the hoped for bandage on the ANC in the same way that the deputy in Zim is the hoped for bandage on ZANU-PF.

Have to wait and see. It's nerve racking because things could be very good but can be made to go to pieces by bad government (as you already know in Britain 8) )

• South Africa's African National Congress (ANC) is set to vote on who will succeed President Jacob Zuma as its leader.

The main contenders are the country's deputy president, Cyril Ramaphosa, and former cabinet minister Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, President Zuma's ex-wife.

Decision day for ANC supporters, result should come this evening. Go with the ex wife or the ex-aide. Not really much of a choice is there?

As LW said, the 2019 elections will be interesting and lets see if the Democratic Alliance can win then. From my point of view, whatever the outcome is of this contest, it will still be business as usual for SA until the stranglehold of power that the ANC has enjoyed since the collapse of apartheid is taken from them.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!