Is an election looming?

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • I have your threads and am now sat on the fence. He needs Brexit to get votes for an election, but he needs an election to make Brexit more straight forward. Let's sit back and wait.

White lives matter

• Interesting speculative roadmap from my redtop:

Full piece here

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• I have your threads and am now sat on the fence. He needs Brexit to get votes for an election, but he needs an election to make Brexit more straight forward. Let's sit back and wait.

Good summary of his predicament.

I believe he is stuck with his promise to deliver Brexit by end Oct - come what may - and if he delivers he will win an election, if he doesn't he will lose and if he asks for votes before he has delivered people will think, yeah, sure, like £350m per day for the NHS, ha ha

BUT if he almost delivers and his only impediment has been those evil Tory bastards like Dominque Grieve and Philip Hammond and that smirking Scottish lump (can't recall his name) I reckon he can ask - and may well get - the electorate to give him enough to prevail over the Tory Party's malignant discontents hiding behind the pretext of their own personal brand of Democracy (which is "f-ck all this stuff about me being your elected representative, it's what I think is best for you that matters"

• I agree. His stuck with his promise and he's got to deliver Brexit and any election, if it were to happen, would come afterwards. Hopefully Grieve and co will have joined the Lib Dems by then, or fallen off a roof or something.^^

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Interesting speculative roadmap from my redtop:

What if "her majesty" tells Boris to call an election sooner? That would screw things up...

• What if "her majesty" tells Boris to call an election sooner? That would screw things up...

I very much doubt that her maj would get involved in that sort of political decision. Royalty traditionally keep well clear of those shenanigans.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Hope so, then its just a case of Boris has just got to let the clock run down. But then there's other factors, like the threat from John Major to sue the government and of course the chief litigator of them all, Gina Miller.:thumbdown:

• Given that Britain is irresistibly intent on self-immolation, with every sign that our system of democratic government can hasten that downtrend, is there anyone who wonders whether there will be a run on the banks and therefore whether one's savings might be safer someplace else?

• I was meaning to update the trade war thread, but in answer to that, I think there is a possibility of a run on the banks, yes. I'm almost certain we're about to get a major Lehman style stock market crash now and there is the perfect storm of the China/US trade tensions, Brexit and other things which could make it happen.

Our banks would say its impossible now, as they're liquid, but how they'd be with all their customers queuing outside the branches, is another matter entirely.

• UK banks are in a much better position than EU banks. It is EU banks that should be worrying, especially as the EU is going to lose a lot of income, and bail ins are now a possibility.

UK bank accounts will not be liable to bail ins (once we get Brexit), and the FSCS (Financial Services Compensation Scheme) covers each individual for £85K per bank. You can use more than one bank if you are loaded with more than £85k.

It's just more Project Fear.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• You can use more than one bank if you are loaded with more than £85k.

Chance would be a fine thing.^^

Indeed.

4312-gwban-gif

• I've always like Redwood and it's a pity he didn't become PM before any of the post Thatcher wreckers.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• I've always like Redwood and it's a pity he didn't become PM before any of the post Thatcher wreckers.

I couldn't agree more. He had an uncompromising intellect yet without arrogance. But he was said to resemble a creature from outer space , a Dr Spock type of character, and this was the new world where the choice of senior ministers is more about packaging than product, image rather than substance

• UK banks are in a much better position than EU banks. It is EU banks that should be worrying, especially as the EU is going to lose a lot of income, and bail ins are now a possibility.

UK bank accounts will not be liable to bail ins (once we get Brexit), and the FSCS (Financial Services Compensation Scheme) covers each individual for £85K per bank. You can use more than one bank if you are loaded with more than £85k.

Deutsch Bank is still the ticking time-bomb here and others like Credit Suisse are just holding on.