Circular runways. Plane lunacy?

• Normally aircraft take off into the prevailing wind or with very little crosswind. In anything other than a light breeze I think this is a disaster in waiting.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in red it is moderation. Take note.

• I don't see how this can work. Aircraft, at least with current technology, need a long straight runway. It's not a F1 race course. Totally bizarre.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I do love a site where the search function actually works!:)

An update to this story:

The Dutch engineer behind the idea for circular runways at airports has revealed plans to build a test runway for unmanned delivery drones.

Henk Hesselink is collaborating with Valkenburg airport, a disused naval base near The Hague, which has ambitions to become a drone innovation centre.

What has gone from a completely nutty story, as Morgan put it last year, to something which actually is now a good idea, except it's not passenger planes that may use the circular runaways, but delivery drones.

Space is short and with Amazon very keen to using flying drones for delivery, I can actually see in ten years times loads of little circular airports all over the place.

What do you think, will the idea fly this time? (pardon the pun:))

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.