Nestle creates chocolate with a lot less sugar!

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • CHOCOLATE bars are getting healthier — thanks to a breakthrough that cuts sugar content by 40 per cent.

Nestlé has found a way to make treats without refined sugar.

Yum! But at what price? The article says that the chocolate is made from the pulp of the coca bean which up to now has been a waste product, but it then talks about this will cost a lot more than sugar. How can a waste product cost more?

For us chocoholics and I'm a major one, this is very interesting, not least as diabetes has had such a devastating effect on my family and this may be a way to have our cake and eat it still.

• This latest anti-sugar campaign is so stupid and so unnecessary that I can't believe it's happening. It follows on the whole anti-brigade's attempts to ruin our food that started in the seventies when they decided to attack meat. They moved on to salt and gluten and now they are campaigning against sugar. They are also trying to turn dogs into vegetarians. They are mad and it's important to consider this.

Diabetics are different from those without this problem. Sugar, like bread and salt and meat, is a food. Humans will eventually start suffering from all sorts of health problems on account of the mad contemporary "health" fanatics. They are part of clown world and they can stick their sugarless chocolates up their posteriors as far as I am concerned . They are ruining most of the things we all once enjoyed.

• A lot of Nestle products are Halal certified, so I don't buy their products, ever!

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• they are also trying to turn dogs into vegetarians.

That's just straight forward animal abuse :evil: and those owners should be made to live in a cage while looked after by their dogs. It's like the nutters that want to dress their dogs like a human. As you say...clown world.

I'm a terrible chocoholic.....got the T-Shirt. There was once a time that I would eat nothing but chocolate. I could go through 6 king size bars a day easily and for my vitamins and minerals I would have a Chocolate Dunns River Nourishment drink. Oh I miss them king size Mars bars when they first came out. I was healthy back then more than I am now. Saying that I also done a lot more exercise so burnt quite a lot off. I can still easily wake up in the middle of the night with the munchies and go and scoff half a large jar of Nutella in one session. I eat it by the spoonful straight out of the jar. Only recently I have discovered a new one called Jim Jams which is a more healthy option, and it is. My initial complaint about Nutella was the amount of Palm Oil in it and then I found out how much sugar is in it. I wondered why I was getting fat. Anyway I don't touch Nutella any more and eat the Jim Jams more sensibly. I don't get the cravings like I used to with that because it's sugar free and aimed at children. The way I would compare it is the difference between eating a bar of Dairy Milk versus a 70% cocoa Lindt bar. The Dairy milk I would scoff the lot; family size bar that is ;) and the Lindt I would savour and eat a couple chunks at a time.

Ohhhh Green & Blacks Mayan Gold Yum Yum. Dammit you've got me thinking about Chocolate now :D I also drink a pint of Nesquik chocolate milk pretty much every day. It's good for my bones and osteoarthritis. That's my night cap or maybe a pint of hot drinking chocolate (Cadbury) or hot cocoa which I also add about 3 teaspoons of sugar too. I drink a hell of a lot of Coffee and I don't put any sugar in that.

What I don't want is some bureaucrat and the media telling me what I can and can't eat and then putting a higher tax on things or changing recipes to suit their own agenda. Making items smaller and not reducing the cost pisses me off. They know people will buy twice as many which doubles up on packaging and wastage to either be recycled or not. On one of those 'what's in you food programmes' not so long ago they where talking about sugar. Since the sugar tax supermarkets have come up with other sweetener type products that don't fall into that category and are marketing them inside what they market as health products. Not cheap and aimed at yuppie snobs / made in Chelsea types and health freaks a bit like funky superfoods. It turns out that these new sweeteners are more unhealthy for us than traditional granulated sugar. One of them is based on some kind of honey product but it's not honey as you would think it to be.

Nestle got taken over by a US company some years back and has never been the same since. Have you ever tasted a Hershey bar sick-zpsfjvulgaw.gif

A lot of Nestle products are Halal certified

WTF so does that mean that someone says a prayer for every chocolate bar. It's not like someone can slit it's neck and drain blood.

• WTF so does that mean that someone says a prayer for every chocolate bar. It's not like someone can slit it's neck and drain blood.

It means they pay hundreds of thousands of £ for Halal certification, and all rennet (if used) has to be vegetarian or come from Halal slaughtered calves.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• There was a vet on a recent Saturday morning cookery show on TV who had significantly altered dogs diets to consist of nearly all veg and little meat

All the dogs on the diet lost weight and were much healthier, they also produced much smaller stools

• Dogs can be fed a vegan diet which if properly balanced does them no harm. The same cannot be said about cats that actually need meat in their diets.

I wonder if doge ate veg when living in the wild and before Pedigree Chum arrived

I thought they would kill their prey, and eat that

• Their natural diet indeed is killed animals. After all a dog understands that any animal smaller than a dog needs to be chased and killed.

I just post the advice from veterinarians.

• Dogs can be fed a vegan diet which if properly balanced does them no harm. The same cannot be said about cats that actually need meat in their diets.

Dogs are 100% carnivore and cats are 75 percent so they can and do eat about 25% vegetable matter. You often see them munching certain plants, like fescue. I had one who loved Mexican orchid leaves.

Dogs are wolves, wolves are 100% carnivore. Humans are omnivores. I agree with Norra that anyone who interferes with a dog's diet because they have become broccoli munchers themselves deserves to be prevented from owning dogs.

• Apparently, you can feed cats some non-meat food, such as eggs and cheese, must it must not comprise the whole of their diet. Our cats (when we had them) and our dogs like cheese, but it is given as a treat rather than a meal.

When I was really 'into' dog training I used to make 'liver cake', made the same as a normal cake but with a lot of liquidised liver. They would do anything for liver cake.

• I agree with Norra that anyone who interferes with a dog's diet because they have become broccoli munchers themselves deserves to be prevented from owning dogs.

I agree. They'd be better off with bunnies, or a goat if they want something larger.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!