Boris pledges 20,000 new police officers

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • The recruitment of 20,000 new police officers in England and Wales will begin within weeks, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said.

Home Office figures show that forces in England and Wales lost 20,564 officers between March 2010 and March 2019.

Mr Johnson said he wanted the recruitment - which will be overseen by a new national policing board - to be completed over the next three years.

I happen to know that the police were "prepped" about this six months ago, so although this is now a Boris policy, it was something that the previous government had intended to do too.

Will it make a difference to the high crime rates? It can't make things any worse!

• Will it make a difference to the high crime rates? It can't make things any worse!

Unless the clown prosecution service actually gets a grip and the courts start dishing out some real punishments it is just pissing in the wind.

The parole board needs a complete overhaul: I would make the members who let the lags out to do more crimes actually suffer the same sentence as the ones they let out when they re-offend.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• I fully agree with that Heero and hopefully that's something Boris will get onto as well (I've got a update to a thread on this matter too later, cough "Ant") but we still need to crack a whip at all this crime to begin with.

• It's a joke. I sometimes watch the police programs, and they hardly ever prosecute, even with some quite serious crimes and thefts. A slap on the hand and the criminals are back to their criminal ways and gloating about it.

Worse still, call an MP a Nazi, or try to interview a groomer/rapist and you'll be banged up before you can blink.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I love how the lefties and our media are now attacking something they have been attacking the Tories over for years !

I do hope that this will not be a box ticking exercise but I fear it will and non ology degree, white , straight candidates will be wasting their time applying.

• Maybe not. Very telling if it is. If not, then a corner may have been turned. Holding thumbs for you.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• In my world the entire legal system needs an overhaul. The CPS costs the tax payer an absolute fortune, and I wonder how many other countries have such a thing. Secondly, the quantity of police required should depend on the type of police we need. I have witnessed 20 traffic police at one speed trap set up, meanwhile somebody is having their house broke into. We should also take into account that crime changes. Few people now have their TV stolen, because criminals make more money by sitting in front of their computer screens. The world has changed, so policing has to change with it. We also need to look at the recruitment policies. It's now become more important to employ black people, Asian people, women, and gays etc etc, rather than employing the most suitable applicant. Finally, our insistence to ignore the will of the people and not to bring back capital punishment. I for one don't actually believe it is the ultimate punishment, as most people would rather a quick painless death than spend the rest of their lives locked up. Capital punishment makes financial sense, and the argument that innocent people will get executed is complete rubbish. I would also execute repeat offenders. We all know the people I mean. Criminals that continue to be a nuisance and cost the tax payer a fortune, whilst creating problems for dozens of good citizens. We don't need them, so let's get rid of them.

• It's a joke. I sometimes watch the police programs, and they hardly ever prosecute, even with some quite serious crimes and thefts. A slap on the hand and the criminals are back to their criminal ways and gloating about it.

Worse still, call an MP a Nazi, or try to interview a groomer/rapist and you'll be banged up before you can blink.

I know and I agree with all that, but those are separate issues. We need the police first and doing their jobs, then sort out the other stuff. Although the police don't bother prosecuting because the courts don't send people to jail, so its all interlinked.

Secondly, the quantity of police required should depend on the type of police we need.

Yep. It's always numbers we hear about, isn't it? Not whether the systems are efficient or not. The police force are a incredibly wasteful body and they need some expertise to come in and clear up their act.

When I reported my ex scum neighbours once, a van load of police came along. Only one was required! The rest just played on their phones while one of them was talking to me, so like your speed trap example, the police can do a much better job of using existing resources efficiently.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!