Emmanuel Macron: I'll renegotiate Le Touquet border treaty

• Emmanuel Macron, the favourite in the race to become the next French president, has suggested that he would want to renegotiate an agreement that allows British border police to operate in Calais.

The centrist politician, who will go head to head against Marine Le Pen in the final round of the election on 7 May, said: “I want to put the Le Touquet border deal back on the table. It must be renegotiated, especially the parts that deal with the fate of isolated child migrants.”

In an interview with the French TV channel TF1, he added: “There is no easy solution to the migrant crisis. If there was one, it would have been found.”

The politician previously raised the issue when he was economy minister, suggesting that his country could tear up the treaty if the UK left the EU.

His comments, which then raised the possibility of migrant camps springing up in the UK, were dismissed by other French government ministers.

Guardian article

If this man becomes president and continues to make these threats, then we need to get tough and tell him quite firmly that the immigrants France lets into their country are their responsibility and not ours.

It's not our duty to take in every immigrant who enters Europe and heads for Calais. They should police their own borders and once we leave the EU we should adopt a firm policy of deporting failed asylum seekers and other undesirables straight back to the shores of France along with the tens of thousands of illegals already here who came via there.

• If this man becomes president and continues to make these threats, then we need to get tough and tell him quite firmly that the immigrants France lets into their country are their responsibility and not ours.

But why aren't we doing this now Morgan, regardless of the French elections or Brexit?

And for those of us who are going to vote for Theresa May in June, she was the overseas of this agreement while she was in charge of the Home Office.

Why is it meant to be our responsibility who the French let into their own country, it is totally bizarre and it goes to the heart of the Brexit issue too.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• He called them migrants and not refugees. Good to hear, although most of us know they are not refugees if they get called that then suddenly we have an obligation to take our "fair share". There's no obligation to take any economic migrants though, they should go back to their home nations and help those that are rebuilding already. This brave lot for example:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ph…-damaged-qaraqosh/524601/

Yes and no on the issue of what to call them. If they're feeling Syria, or other terrible places, they're refugees. Problem is there are multiples places where there are wars, famines, disease, dictatorship. If I was in those countries, I'd want to get out too.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• My view is that we and other countries in a position to do so should take a fair share of refugees ( on a temporary basis as far as possible ) until it's safe for them to return, but from countries and areas adjacent to danger zones only. We should also give financial assistance to those adjacent countries. What we shouldn't be doing is taking 'refugees ' who have managed to travel half way round the world or through Europe under their own steam looking for the best opportunities for themselves.

I don't blame them for doing so but as Hoxton says, we should not be expected to take them.

• He called them migrants and not refugees. Good to hear, although most of us know they are not refugees if they get called that then suddenly we have an obligation to take our "fair share". There's no obligation to take any economic migrants though, they should go back to their home nations and help those that are rebuilding already. This brave lot for example:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ph…-damaged-qaraqosh/524601/

Terrific photos, Hox. What incredibly barbarous damage from IS. It's amazing that one cult, so certain it has the ultimate religious creed, is so utterly devoid of any sense of compassion for fellow travellers.

The only way to make up for the looting and destruction is, of course, to return and rebuild.