May will not raise VAT but quiet on the Triple Lock

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Theresa May says a Conservative government will not raise VAT if she wins the general election.

But the PM declined to back a 2015 Tory pledge that also ruled out rises in income tax and National Insurance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39761740
    ====

Our "beloved" PM has been on the political shows this morning and although she has guaranteed not to raise VAT she is saying to wait for the manifesto to come out regarding the triple lock. Pretty obvious which way that will go. She went on to say she wants to help the lower paid wage earners and ensure that she looks at the big picture of the overall tax burden and tax take, rather than just making minor tweaks here and there. (Gordon Brown was the king of making minor tweaks) Also a "few" mentions of "strong" and "stable" leadership....

They called the election, it's about time the Conservative Party produced their manifesto!

• Pensioners are about the only group that haven't been hit by the cuts. The sick, disabled and unemployed have all been clobbered. The DWP terminology in calling pensions and the free t.v. licence and bus passes ' handouts' shows the way they are thinking.

• Staff Notice

As you rolled out the plank there Morgan, I'll shall walk it....

If the Conservatives are serious about helping the poor and rebalancing things, then getting rid of free tv licences and bus passes would be a start. There are many wealthy pensioners who can afford these and the money would be better spent on the poorer ones.

Waiting for the brown stuff to hit me...:)

• As you rolled out the plank there Morgan, I'll shall walk it....

If the Conservatives are serious about helping the poor and rebalancing things, then getting rid of free tv licences and bus passes would be a start. There are many wealthy pensioners who can afford these and the money would be better spent on the poorer ones.

Waiting for the brown stuff to hit me...:)

In principle I agree - but does it cost more to means test than just have a simple "over x years old you get it free" policy?

I'd prefer the government followed up on their promise to tackle tax and benefit fraud. It doesn't seem, at least from my experience, that either has made much headway. Admittedly with widescale public support for the major tax dodging companies you can't blame the government for dropping that one down their list of priorities but it is still worth pursuing quietly so as to bring in some funds.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!