The Great British Weather Moan thread

Please treat other members in a friendly and respectful manner: Our Community Guidelines.

• Just had another sharp shower but now brilliant sunshine and a very nice rainbow.:)

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Sharp frost this morning, only just over one degree and white everywhere. Clear sky but rain is forecast.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Very nice in London earlier, but getting gloomy now. Never quite got a frost overnight, but it was close.

Hope jj20x is okay with all the floods in his area.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Forecast is rain. Yippee clouds have turned up. Whether any wet stuff will result is still a matter of conjecture.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• Wet and cold here all afternoon. Put the gas fire on in the lounge. First time this Autumn but only a single burner to take the chill off.

4312-gwban-gif

• Very nice in London earlier, but getting gloomy now. Never quite got a frost overnight, but it was close.

Hope jj20x is okay with all the floods in his area.

All I can say is don't believe the flood report maps. With much of Doncaster still flooded, and the route into Rotherham very much under water, I thought the best way to get to a supermarket would be to head out towards Barnsley. The flood reports showed one route as flooded with the road closed and another route as open and unaffected. So, I set off in that direction, driving until the road turned into a lake full of abandoned vehicles.. Hmm!

I did manage to find a route that wasn't flooded eventually, by driving through residential areas on higher ground. The main routes are in the River Don and River Dearne valleys so are all flooded/closed at various points. I guess they will stay flooded until the river levels drop.

• Glad you're okay jj and hopefully you've stocked up on some goods so you can avoid the floods until they've gone. At least you're at the top of a hill, which is the best place to be in those conditions.

Stay safe.:thumbup::)

• Wet and cold here all afternoon. Put the gas fire on in the lounge. First time this Autumn but only a single burner to take the chill off.

My gas fire in the living room has been on since August... Heating bills will be fun.

• Well with double glazing and secondary glazing, 8-12" of loft insulation and the neighbours having their heating on high we don't really need that much heat on unless it gets really arctic.

4312-gwban-gif

• Well with double glazing and secondary glazing, 8-12" of loft insulation and the neighbours having their heating on high we don't really need that much heat on unless it gets really arctic.

We've had our heating on and off for sometime, and we're cavity wall filed, double glazed, and knee deep in insulation in the loft

But then once you get older you do feel the cold

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• Storm last night with enough rain to maybe revive the Hackberry tree. Forecast is for more. Our local reservoir is below 40% and we have been warned to conserve water or they will turn the taps off. I can't believe the selfishness of some idiots. They waste water on lawns and car washing and hosing off patios, power showering, deep bathing, etc and expect the water to just keep on flowing. Might do them some good to turn on the power shower and have nothing in return. Only way to learn is often when it's too late.

That doesn't help me. I save water wherever I can. :cursing:

• Glad you've had more rain.:) How long will the wet last for?

If people are using water on their cars, then you use it on your trees. I'd be selfish, sod 'erm.

• I can't afford to be selfish as the water levels are dropping.

We need more rain. Maybe going to get some more. Will see.

• Hope you get more rain LW, and its good that you conserve water, I just wish others took the same attitude as you.:thumbup:

As for weather for me today, it's been a lovely day and sunshine a plenty. For some reason I said it was nice yesterday morning, which it most definitely was not. It was bloody misty and damp, a horrible day. Today's is dry and warm and a much better day in so many ways.:)

• Hope you get more rain LW, and its good that you conserve water, I just wish others took the same attitude as you.:thumbup:

As for weather for me today, it's been a lovely day and sunshine a plenty. For some reason I said it was nice yesterday morning, which it most definitely was not. It was bloody misty and damp, a horrible day. Today's is dry and warm and a much better day in so many ways.:)

It has been dry all day today, got the lawns cut

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• Overcast and cool so far with rain forecast. I'll believe that when I see it coming down, but the overcast weather helps the rain that fell night before last soak into the soil and hopefully rescue some of the trees.

• Same for me, but unfortunately for the first time ever, my circumstances don't allow me to do any gardening at the moment. I've not even put my summer stuff in the greenhouse or prepared anything for Spring.:(

• Same for me, but unfortunately for the first time ever, my circumstances don't allow me to do any gardening at the moment. I've not even put my summer stuff in the greenhouse or prepared anything for Spring.:(

As a fulltime carer you cannot possibly do everything, you just have to deal with the most pressing tasks to hand

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• Indeed. It's the first year my garden has been neglected, or at least the last four months or so. By the way, I could be doing it now, but instead I choose to be here. So, it is a choice in that sense.

• Mixture in London today. Early morning started sunny and crisp. Then went darker, then from lunchtime it's been a mixture of rain and sun.

• Rained all night and is still cool and overcast. Everything is turning green :).

It's amazing how nature can bounce back with a bit of rain. Unfortunately in Yorkshire they've had rather too much and there are floods everywhere. A farmer on the radio this morning was saying that his 1,000 acres was inundated to between 6 and 10 feet all over and that although he has no crops in at the moment it will be at least a year for the ground to recover enough for tillage and planting.

At least where we are it never floods as the water carries on downhill.

Sunny and cold this morning.

4312-gwban-gif

• Labour are in full cry that the government should be doing more and should have done something sooner about these flooded areas

But what could they have done, you can't just magic floods away

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out