Different views on Downing Street Brexit dinner

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
    • Staff Notice

Welcome to the EU/UK dominated Brexit Galaxy of Spin and Counter-Spin. A crazy old place. The galactic atmosphere is such these days that the dimensions of truth are elastic; at times, distorted.

Take the arguments this weekend over whether the Downing Street dinner last Wednesday at which Theresa May hosted European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker was a complete disaster or not.

Not at all, insists Downing Street.

But according to an EU diplomat, speaking to Germany's Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung and thereafter hitting Twitter and headlines across the UK, they went "badly, really badly".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39775102
    ====

The article goes on to say that this is all spin, I'm not so sure.

One of the reasons we're leaving the EU is that we simply don't believe in "The Project" of "ever closer union." They see things differently to us on the continent and we're never been happy bed fellows with them.

Perhaps it may all work out in the end, but we've already given them a major concession by saying we're leaving the single market, that should have been up for negotiation. I hope we don't give them any more...

• Staff Notice

Theresa May says she will be a "bloody difficult woman" towards European Commission president Jean-Claude Juncker during Brexit talks.

The PM revived a line used during her Tory leadership campaign to respond to claims the two clashed over dinner.

She also declined to commit to settling the issue of expats' rights by June.

EU sources claim UK misunderstanding of the talks process, and ignorance about how Brussels works, could lead to no deal being agreed on the UK's exit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39784170
    ====

Rather than her being "bloody difficult" aka doing another Maggie, I would rather she just stood up for our rights.

We're coming up to almost a year since the Brexit decision and STILL it hasn't really started yet, Brexit that is.

• My view of the dinner fiasco is that May is right. She made the announcement about it being 'constructive' and immediately afterwards the commission had said the same thing.

https://www.ft.com/content/c3d2b1…55-23ef563ecf9a

Now Juncker or one of the EU bullies has released this propaganda. The second point is that the EU are stalling over a reciprocal deal on citizens rights. For Juncker to say he was surprised she brought the subject up is sheer hypocrisy since she said she was anxious for a deal last December and Merkel refused to discuss it.

I'm beginning to think that if other people feel as I do about these threats and blackmailing, then Juncker, Barnier and the rest of them could be the best friends May has. I don't know how anyone else feels but I don't think we British like being bullied and threatened.

I was beginning to have some doubts about May but now I hope she stands her ground and gets difficult with them. When we do finally disentangle ourselves from these unelected dictators let's be proud to sing 'We did it May way. ' ;)

GOBBY EU boss Jean-Claude Juncker has been told to put a sock in it by furious colleagues.

They have told the European Commission chief that every time he opens his mouth he strengthens Britain’s Brexit hand.
    Now they are plotting to sideline him after he gave a fictitious account of dinner with Theresa May – then scoffed the English language was losing its importance.

A source said: “The whole process would benefit from a period of silence from Mr Juncker.”

Senior EU chiefs have privately apologised to the PM for his behaviour.

One diplomatic source said: “They told her he doesn’t represent the way we want to do business.”

Source

European Dis-union more like.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!