Iceland Goodbye

• An article by Rajan P. Parrikar on the evils of runaway tourism to a once beautiful place. My brother sent me this article and, as our grandmother was Icelandic, both he and I are pretty devastated at what is happening to the old country. This is a phenomenon occurring round the world as tourism takes its toll.

I am against using tourism to the extent that the environment and established, or ancient, places and cultures are shattered and their people made to endure what can only be the invasion of careless selfie takers and thrill seeking junkies. :(

http://icelandreview.com/stuff…7/04/04/too-many-tourists

• That's a shame. We went there a few years ago in October. There was hardly anyone there which I thought as it seemed the best time - nights long enough to see the northern lights but short enough to be able to see the place.

• Tourism can be a great source of revenue and enlightenment but countries need to manage it. Look what has append to Uluru rock in Australia and to the Himalayas. Being trampled to death and the Himalayas are just climbing junk left behind. It's so disrespectful. You get decent tourists who take only photographs and leave only footprints, and you get the rampaging hordes.

• Rubbish is a big issue for me. I'll go out into my street everyday and pick other people's litter up, magnify that by hordes of tourists ruining beautiful places and it is heart breaking.

I've have seen this happen many times in Britain. Go around our "beautiful" coastline, only to be met with piles of plastic bottles, cigarette butts, crisp packets and of course used condoms, which tend to be the main things left on beaches and swimming in our seas. Totally disgusting.

I once went to one of our national heritage parks here specifically to see a butterfly meadow only to be met with a trampled mess walked over by hordes of people.

The top of Mount Snowden is no different, you get rubbish, and that's just the kind that walk on two legs...

Even around more remote spots in the Lake District or the Yorkshire Dales, you find our once beautiful countryside being destroyed with rubbish thrown on the ground, or rubbish shoved into the crevices of ancient stone walls etc.

It all comes down to one thing, upbringing. If manners are not taught, they will not be shown. I still can't get over how it's become the norm to stuff mouths with burgers and chips, while walking along and allowing everyone to see the contents of the mouths too, then the obligatory throwing the rubbish on the ground afterwards. It used to be the case that if you visited somewhere, you would find a pick nick bench, or lay out some towels in a park and eat there, or go to a restaurant etc. But everyone seems to eat while moving now and the rubbish moves too rather than being placed in bins...

My sympathies go to Iceland.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Our river reserve group (neighbourhoods have these in varying degrees of success) do a rubbish pickup regularly and it's becoming difficult to cope. Litter gets thrown onto the street, washes down the stormwater drains, gets into the river system, ends up in the grassy bits and blocks the stormwater pipes. Some African countries have recently banned plastic bags. That's going to help a lot, I think. Plastic bottles are the next big horror.

I have never been able to comprehend this modern trend that urges people to "rehydrate" themselves all day by carrying little plastic water bottles around with them which they suck on for no particular reason all the time. You really don't need to flush out your kidneys like that. It's insane. Plus, the water is from so-called underground "pure" sources, so apart from this being nonsense as this kind of water is often loaded with bacteria and other things that seep down, it is also draining out groundwater sources, which in turn creates problems of a different kind.

All because the media presents an idea of "health" that is basically refutable by its illogical claims.

This is a very good subject for a topic, actually, H. The whole mess has become a big issue. And it is underpinned by bad science, stupid beliefs, gullibility and lots of dosh for the purveyors.

• In my area, I never understood why the council street sweepers never collect the fallen Autumn leaves as they build up and build up and are left. Would be a good source for garden mulch. When the council does eventually collect them, they are thrown in with the normal rubbish. One day, I asked my local council why the street leaves are not collected for mulch and the answer is cigarette butts. They can't have bits of plastic, which is what cigarette butts are, in with the leaves, so the whole lot gets chucked....

I go onto my street everyday and pick cigarette butts up, but it's a war I will never win, and as you say, many get flushed down the street drains and straight out into our rivers and seas.

• We have a local garden waste depot and when you take your garden stuff there they have a hammer mill that turns all the twiggy and branchy bits into compost which they put in bags, and I think sell.

I never have cigarette butts in the street where I am. A lot of people have stopped smoking. Apparently the next big curse worldwide, next to plastic, is chewing gum all over the place.

• We have a local garden waste depot and when you take your garden stuff there they have a hammer mill that turns all the twiggy and branchy bits into compost which they put in bags, and I think sell.

I never have cigarette butts in the street where I am. A lot of people have stopped smoking. Apparently the next big curse worldwide, next to plastic, is chewing gum all over the place.

I worked at a biomass power plant in Scotland which took wood from local recycling centres. I think only 20% of fuel was recycled wood though and I believe the place runs at a loss anyway. It was built to supply electricity and steam to a paper mill next door but the mill shut down about 6 months before the power station was finished...

• That sounds like a very depressing episode. :(

Green endeavours don't tend to be lucrative. That's why so much of our basically capitalist economies go for quick fixes and brute fuel guzzling.

Being green in a more workable way means this has to be done with a will and empathy for the earth from those who live on it and off it. Everything cannot be a profitable enterprise, although this does help.

The whole green cause has not connected with the average human yet. It's a greatly faddie sort of ideology that comes and goes through the decades but isn't able to stick around in a powerful and viable enough way to last.

Much of the green thing is somewhat loony and always has been, extremist, irrational and ultimately just too much of a fag to be bothered with.

It needs someone to shape it into a workable modus operandi.

Unless it's making a comeback, chewing gum was a 70s/80s thing, so not a issue here, yet...

We have a local council recycle depot too which can recycle all garden waste, metals, plastics etc. But in additional to that, every two weeks the council does pick up domestic garden waste. Other recycled material such as paper and plastic are collected weekly.

Although smoking overall is decreasing in the UK, in my immediate area, it's on the rise and things like throwing rubbish on the ground, spitting, swearing etc is all becoming the norm and I won't go on about it, but my "new" (been here 12+ years now) neighbours are of that "type."

• I worked at a biomass power plant in Scotland which took wood from local recycling centres. I think only 20% of fuel was recycled wood though and I believe the place runs at a loss anyway. It was built to supply electricity and steam to a paper mill next door but the mill shut down about 6 months before the power station was finished...

I really should get one of my family members to comment on this as they used to work for a paper mill in Kent, but I am surprised no one was able to work out that paper usage is decreasing and perhaps the power plant should have been built elsewhere. Very bad planning there.

• Unless it's making a comeback, chewing gum was a 70s/80s thing, so not a issue here, yet...

We have a local council recycle depot too which can recycle all garden waste, metals, plastics etc. But in additional to that, every two weeks the council does pick up domestic garden waste. Other recycled material such as paper and plastic are collected weekly.

Although smoking overall is decreasing in the UK, in my immediate area, it's on the rise and things like throwing rubbish on the ground, spitting, swearing etc is all becoming the norm and I won't go on about it, but my "new" (been here 12+ years now) neighbours are of that "type."

Oh, God, how awful for you. :(

• Indeed! My area used to be pretty decent, it's just on the periphery of a very wealthy area and compared to many parts of London, it is still pretty decent. But although we may not be rich like this nearby neighbourhood, people used to be clean, well mannered etc and were generally decent. All that has been changing over the last 20 years or so as the old folks dies off and new people arrive and its accelerating.

I've think I've said before, that I'm about the only person down my road with a front garden now and people in my immediate area now a have a aversion to trees, or anything else green for that matter. Obviously, you can join the dots and its those same type of people who do the smoking, including littering the streets with their cigarette butts, fowl the streets with their dog mess etc. And bringing it back on topic (;)) if you get these same kinds of people who then travel around, they do the same thing as tourists when they visit other places.

• I really, really want to, But personal circumstances don't allow, at least not for the time being.

It is quite odd, a family member was just remarking to me last week that they paid a visit to Greenwich in South/Central London and how very posh it is now. People speak properly, pick up their dog litter, joggers around (always a good sign) and the whole place had a good vibe to it he said, but it used to be a terrible area.

Unfortunately, unless you are super rich, central London is unavailable to most people and eventually all of London will become unaffordable too, at least to the natives.

• One of my uncles lives In Norfolk and he gets depressed every time he comes to London. Quite funny really, we could be sitting in my living room and he jumps out of the chair because he has seen someone out of the front window walk past the house... He's not used to people walking down streets, rather more remote where he lives! :)

I've probably missed the boat in terms of affordability for places like Devon or Cornwall. All the bankers, lawyers etc from London have bought up most of the homes in those counties as second homes and made those areas too expensive for most people, thus pricing all the locals out of the market.

I loved California when I went there once. Perfect weather, scenery etc, just one problem, its full of Americans!

• I loved California when I went there once. Perfect weather, scenery etc, just one problem, its full of Americans!

Same problem with France: It's full of Frenchies. Don't they remember who won Agincourt? :D

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

Red = Mod. Abide by it.

• I really should get one of my family members to comment on this as they used to work for a paper mill in Kent, but I am surprised no one was able to work out that paper usage is decreasing and perhaps the power plant should have been built elsewhere. Very bad planning there.

Forgot to mention there was a grant up for grabs from the Scottish government...

• ...that explains it!

The SNP are great at spending people's money! Why do the Scots put up with them?