Local Elections 4th May 2017. Are you interested?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • The large turnout in the UK's EU referendum ignited hopes for a similar boost in the local and mayoral elections. But with the surprise announcement of a general election on 8 June, will the local polls get overlooked?

More than a million additional people joined the electoral register in 2016, the year the UK came to a historic decision to break ties with the European Union.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39565288

====

With all the excitement over the surprise announcement of the general election two weeks ago, everyone seems to have forgotten that there are some local elections going on in England, Wales, Scotland.

Are you interested in these, or is all focus on the general election to come?

• Staff Notice

I went and voted an hour ago. The OH did on his way to work. It's mostly blue Tory here on the council but the LibDems are always trying. The one time they got in they signed a disasterous car park deal with NCP and almost killed the town centre with sky high charges.

There was a full range of candidates to choose from including UKIP and Green but realistically only the Tory or LibDem stand a chance.

• Staff Notice

I thought it was the Greens in power where you are Heero?

Nooooo! That's in Brighton, home of veggies, car haters and sandal wearers. LOL. Worthing is true blue (rinse) and our council ties up with neighboring Adur to economise on staffing costs.

• Staff Notice

What you need to know about Worthing is that it is very genteel: We do have night clubs and many eateries but they're very refined. We have a decent pier but it's not covered in amusement arcades. Oscar Wilde used to live in Worthing. We do have a higher than average population of pensioners hence we are part of the "Costa Geriatrica" but it's still got many young families. Voters are pretty firmly Tory as they have served us well over the years.

• I would be, but there are none where I live (Leicester) this year.

We also do have an elected mayor here already. Not really sure how it all works.

Mark

• Staff Notice

... I thought you lived in Manchester, Mark, so could give us your thoughts on Andy Burnham and the other Manchester candidates, oh well! :D

Didn't know Leicester had an elected mayor. I thought it was only London and now these six new ones. According to wikipedia, your mayor is called Peter Soulsby. He's a labour chap and he won the first mayoral election in 2011 with 55% of the vote and was reelected again for another 4 years in 2015 with 54% of the vote. So, clearly a popular fellow in your area.

• Staff Notice

What you need to know about Worthing is that it is very genteel: We do have night clubs and many eateries but they're very refined. We have a decent pier but it's not covered in amusement arcades. Oscar Wilde used to live in Worthing. We do have a higher than average population of pensioners hence we are part of the "Costa Geriatrica" but it's still got many young families. Voters are pretty firmly Tory as they have served us well over the years.

Sounds very nice. The closest I've been to your area is probably Brighton or Arundel Castle.

• ... I thought you lived in Manchester, Mark, so could give us your thoughts on Andy Burnham and the other Manchester candidates, oh well! :D

Didn't know Leicester had an elected mayor. I thought it was only London and now these six new ones. According to wikipedia, your mayor is called Peter Soulsby. He's a labour chap and he won the first mayoral election in 2011 with 55% of the vote and was reelected again for another 4 years in 2015 with 54% of the vote. So, clearly a popular fellow in your area.

I used to live in Manchester until a couple of years ago. All Manchester politicians are corrupt.

Soulsby divides opinion, I think he's generally ok and he certainly has the best interests of the city at heart, even if he occasionally makes odd decisions.

Mark

• If you ever get the time, this is the place to talk about those odd decisions.

Are your origins from Manchester Mark, did you like it there? I have a interest in media, so followed quite closely on other forums the development of Media City and the expansion of the tram system. I do like trains! Add that to my sad list.:D

• Staff Notice

Good night for the Conservatives. Up 366 seats so far in England, a change of 104 and they've gained 8 councils as a result.

UKIP wiped out, lost every seat they held including in Lincolnshire where Nuttall is standing as a MP. That's it for UKIP, if the same thing happens at the GE.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!