Are they stupid, or are they evil?

Please treat other members in a friendly and respectful manner: Our Community Guidelines.

• Here's a thread to post all those "nice" stories from the news of people doing ignorant and/or bad things.

Starting with this:

Brighton Pier: Arrests as child found on beach in storm

A nine-year-old is in police protection after being found under Brighton Pier during storms in the early hours.

Two adults who were with the child were arrested on suspicion of neglect and remain in custody.

Volunteers from Brighton Beach Patrol said they found them at 02:00 BST, adding: "The child is now safe, which is a great outcome for us all."

Sussex Police said officers were investigating suspected child neglect and urged the public not to speculate.

Well I will speculate, thank you Sussex police. It is a free country last time I looked!

I can only assume that the parents must have some form of disability, because what other reason would they have for being under that pier with the kid at that time in those terrible conditions?

Utterly bizarre.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• what other reason would they have for being under that pier with the kid at that time in those terrible conditions?

Maybe they've been made homeless and were seeking shelter? There could be a number of reasons. Remember the landward end under the pier is very sheltered.

It's easy to jump to false conclusions without knowing the full facts.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• But with a kid they'd be given automatic housing, so I don't buy that, unless they just got chucked out of somewhere.

I hope the police release more details on this.

• 2 am in the morning? If they were homeless, or outside for any other reason, I am sure they could have found better shelter and/or brought attention to their plight for the sake of the child. It sounds more like they were hiding away from something or someone. Hopefully, more detail will be forthcoming.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Heero was right to say not to be judgmental, but after what I've seen with my ex-scum neighbours, I know there are people who will put their "carnal needs" first, above that of the welfare of their children and that's what I suspect was going on here.