When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • I'm surprised that with this mob things haven't turned ugly, really ugly. Joe public only has so much patience

• Is that genuinely Extinction Rebellion or some other group using the name I wonder. It could be someone trying to give Extinction Rebellion a bad name. Quite a nice way to disrupt their activities and put a black mark against their name.

• BBC News - Cambridge's Trinity College lawn dug up by Extinction Rebellion
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-51534446

Has Extinction Rebellion lost the plot? Did they even understand it in the first place? How is digging up the carbon sucking grass and running generators on protest stunts helping to save the planet?

I hope Boris insists on a prosecution and a big fine for the damage they've done. So far, the police seem to have done almost nothing to bring the perpetrators to book.

To be fair, though, I expect they've issued a crime number...:rolleyes:

The police are too busy monitoring tweets

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• What are we going to do about all these floods This is getting serious now as there are places one would next expect to flood like Leatherhead. I bet the Thames barrier has been working hard and the only thing that has saved London. I think we need to start building houses on stilts.

• That really is the crux of the problem. We have either filled in or built on all the flood planes. Think how much tarmac and concrete is about too. The roads alone would have been dirt tracks years ago so they would have effectively been flood planes with drainage.

I watched a documentary film earlier about the impact that humans have had and still having on the planet which made me think of this thread.

Anthropocene: The Human Epoch (2018)

Lithium and electric vehicles and other products we use lithium in is exchanging one environmental disaster for another

The devastating environmental impact of technological progress

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lithiu…-atacama-desert

• When did the EU stop us dredging rivers?

The Water Framework Directive 2000/60/EC is an EU directive which commits European Union member states to achieve good qualitative and quantitative status of all water bodies (including marine waters up to one nautical mile from shore) by 2015

Maintaining the ecological diversity of a river is incompatable with dredging to maintain a good flow.

• For climate safety, we should work on tasks such as increase number of tree-lined streets, reuse everyday items, use of public transport.

• Indeed there are many things that need attention as well as clearing out the water drainage courses. The concreting over of gardens has to stop. Water meadows must be allowed to flood naturally and limit the amount of water that is trying to get down the rivers. More trees in areas prone to run off. These are short term measures as any limit to climate change is likely to take decades to reverse if ever.

• EU directives on “habitats”, “birds”, “water” and “floods” have dominated the UK’s river management strategy for nearly 20 years. The Government’s hands have been tied by a vast list of European Union directives, critics say. The Environment Agency must obey strict rules set in the EU Water Framework Directive to protect wildlife and plants when implementing its dredging strategy.

While the Government has the final decision on whether to clear water channels of silt build-ups, sources have told Express.co.uk that the process is severely hindered by EU rules protecting the “ecological health of rivers”.

The EU insists flood risk management “should work with nature, rather than against it”, according to a note released by the bloc’s environment department in 2011.

Work dredging the country’s waterways has been significantly scaled back because of the huge costs of disposing of silt under the EU Waste Framework directive.

This is just one of any number of articles citing the EU water directive as the reason why dredging has been curtailed.

• This is just one of any number of articles citing the EU water directive as the reason why dredging has been curtailed.

Yet for years the demand has been for the river Parret to e dredged has fallen on deaf ears at at waste of space aka Environment Agency

Until the inactivity resulted in the very bad floods on the Somerset levels produced Cameron and then Prince Charles doing a photo opportunity there and subsequent start to te required dredging. It's still incomplete as it's being done at a snails pace, and it will not quicken now Eustace is at Environment

No mention anywhere of EU bans, just no desire on our governments part. In fact I wouldn't mind betting that it is an urban myth put about by the likes of Farage and co

• For climate safety, we should work on tasks such as increase number of tree-lined streets, reuse everyday items, use of public transport.

I think a lot of tree lined streets will be sacrificed for 5G as the antenna need clear lines of sight, I'm still not convinced we need more than 4G - somebody persuade me otherwise. Public transport is great if it goes where you are going at the time you are going there but outside of cities public transport is very hit and miss. Once we had an expansive rail network but more than half of it was ripped up to save money by a Labour government in favour of cars and lorries, seems like madness looking back doesn't it?

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• I think a lot of tree lined streets will be sacrificed for 5G as the antenna need clear lines of sight, I'm still not convinced we need more than 4G - somebody persuade me otherwise. Public transport is great if it goes where you are going at the time you are going there but outside of cities public transport is very hit and miss. Once we had an expansive rail network but more than half of it was ripped up to save money by a Labour government in favour of cars and lorries, seems like madness looking back doesn't it?

If you want to ply the political game it was MacMillan and the Tories who commissioned the Beeching report and started to implement it

• What are we going to do about all these floods This is getting serious now as there are places one would next expect to flood like Leatherhead. I bet the Thames barrier has been working hard and the only thing that has saved London. I think we need to start building houses on stilts.

We just need to stop building houses, full stop. If we manage our population, we won't need more housing.

The intelligent are being oppressed so the stupid don't get offended

• There's plenty of land.it just needs government to start managing it properly

I suppose you are one of these people who fly over the British countryside and think there is loads of space for houses, well there isn't. If we build houses, we need to build the infrastructure to go with them, and somebody has to pay for that. The additional housing also needs to have work nearby, otherwise we are just building ghettos. The housing needs to be paid for. By that I mean people who either buy the property, or pay to rent it, not people on benefits who will have it paid for by the tax payer. It also needs to be somewhere where it isn't going to upset the water table, and with the additional rain we are likely to get, there aren't going to be many more places. We should also not forget the beautiful countryside we are likely to ruin, let alone the wild life's habitat we will be destroying. Building more houses will have a negative ecological affect, and is likely to be on the doorstep of people who will be distraught by the construction. You see, we actually have more than enough housing. Try telling the thousands of people who have had a property on Right Move for the last two years that there isn't enough houses. What we don't have is enough houses for people to live in free of charge, and to be honest, I don't care if they have to live in tents !

The intelligent are being oppressed so the stupid don't get offended

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!