Will a UK/US trade deal get done?

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Donald Trump: UK is losing the 'anchor round its ankle'

President Trump has promised a "very big trade deal" with the UK, saying its departure from the EU will be like losing "an anchor round the ankle".

Mr Trump was speaking after a breakfast meeting with Mr Johnson at the G7 summit in Biarritz in France.

But Mr Johnson said the US must compromise if a post-Brexit trade deal is to be agreed.

Positive noises come from Trump and Boris at today's G7 meeting, but will that positivity turn into reality?

We've spoken about chlorinated chicken before and I suppose as long as it's properly labelled, then I guess I see no reason why British shops shouldn't stock the stuff, but what about letting American drugs companies unfettered access to the NHS? There's a rumbling war ongoing in America itself over the prices that the drugs companies charge for drugs, so if the Americans insist we have to allow them access to the NHS, how will that play out?

Hawaii and the ongoing issues.. Will Trump insist that our telecoms networks drop the use of the Chinese equipment as a prerequisite for getting a deal signed, even though Trump himself blows hot and cold on the subject depending on which day it is?

Boris is hoping a trade deal with America can be done in the next year and if it merely includes just agricultural products, I'm sure that's possible, but many American markets are closed off to British firms for one reason or another and so what is the likelihood that a deal will get done this quickly, especially with Trump's "America First" mantra?

• I hope so, and I seriously doubt we will be expected to pay a large annual fee, give USA law precedence over UK law, or give the USA control of our fishing grounds, borders and world wide trade. In other words, it is more likely to be a fair deal and should be good for the UK.

EDIT: so long as our negotiator isn't called Theresa May!

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• so if the Americans insist we have to allow them access to the NHS, how will that play out?

If the NHS continues to pay the lowest price it can for drugs then if the American companies overprice their products then the NHS simply won't buy them. AFAIK the NHS can buy US products now IF they're price competitive.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• 2b If the NHS continues to pay the lowest price it can for drugs then if the American companies overprice their products then the NHS simply won't buy them. AFAIK the NHS can buy US products now IF they're price competitive.

1 Why the fuss about US chlorinated chicken compared with the near-uneatable, unhealthy if not dangerous muck produced in our own country or bought in from some other (non-EU?) country? It's up to the supermarkets whether to buy in US chlorinated chicken, and then it's up to the consumer to buy ...... and then buy again.

2a Of course we should allow the US access to the NHS, just as we will allow the US access to Sainsbury's, Tesco's et al. Otherwise we' be a bunch of nutcases. Whether these companies or organisations - including the NHS - buy the products is their decision, along with what they bargain with the US seller to be the buying price. It's not our government's decision (apart from health & safety, product safety regulations and tariffs which hopefully will be amicable and reciprocating rather than aggressive and hostile - always takes two to tango)

2b Heero Yuy sums it up well. The only tricky point is NHS's N.I.C.E but that's a hurdle even when buying from within the EU. The US will have to come to terms with the fact that the NHS is offering a basic health service paid for by the government from the taxpayer (who has no choice even if they additionally pay for private non-NHS treatment. That will be the limited market in the UK for the US to try and flog unacceptably expensive or non-cost-effective drugs and if they want to buy a few private hospitals and set up their own private medical insurance to grease that path, well, why not?

3 Haewei is a tricky one. I think what's happening in HK will come to a head quite soon and affect those decisions

4 Both the UK and US have closed-off markets to protect. It's a consideration for both sides to accept. Think positive! If Britain doesn't put Britain first, that's it's own look-out. America means business. So should we. Otherwise WTF are we leaving the EU?

• The BBC is full on Project Fear again today, with Corbyn claiming a no-deal Brexit will leave us at the mercy of the US.

If the time ever comes that the US demand a huge annual fee, dominance of US law over UK law, control of our fishing grounds, borders and worldwide trade, then, and only then, will I agree with him!

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• If the NHS continues to pay the lowest price it can for drugs then if the American companies overprice their products then the NHS simply won't buy them. AFAIK the NHS can buy US products now IF they're price competitive.

I hope that's the case Heero, but I know now that in the current NHS' dealings with American drugs/medical equipment supplies, there's all sorts of restrictive covenants in the contracts.

• there's all sorts of restrictive covenants in the contracts.

So don't sign the contract. It aint rocket science. Nothing is being "forced" on the NHS.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• So don't sign the contract. It aint rocket science. Nothing is being "forced" on the NHS.

The Brits look for problems that don't exist, won't believe a problem doesn't exist and, if necessary, will ensure the problem does exist. Negative self-fulfilment! The terrible implication is that we're perfect for the EU! Federalised negativism! A nanny state in search of a nanny multi-state to look after it! It's not that Boris is wrong for Britain. It's that Britain is wrong for Boris. Of course he lies! If you tell the truth to Brits, with the help of the media and partisan politics, it will become a doomsday scenario

• I hope so, and I seriously doubt we will be expected to pay a large annual fee, give USA law precedence over UK law, or give the USA control of our fishing grounds, borders and world wide trade. In other words, it is more likely to be a fair deal and should be good for the UK.

EDIT: so long as our negotiator isn't called Theresa May!

^^

I don't we'll see the Americans wanting to fish our little waters, when they've got the choice of two oceans, so I think we're safe there.

• 1 Why the fuss about US chlorinated chicken compared with the near-uneatable, unhealthy if not dangerous muck produced in our own country or bought in from some other (non-EU?) country? It's up to the supermarkets whether to buy in US chlorinated chicken, and then it's up to the consumer to buy ...... and then buy again.

This is a point made before and although I don't like the thought of bleached chicken, as long as the stuff is properly labelled, then its up to the consumer what they buy, so I'm a bit more relaxed on this now. Just.

2a Of course we should allow the US access to the NHS, just as we will allow the US access to Sainsbury's, Tesco's et al. Otherwise we' be a bunch of nutcases. Whether these companies or organisations - including the NHS - buy the products is their decision, along with what they bargain with the US seller to be the buying price. It's not our government's decision (apart from health & safety, product safety regulations and tariffs which hopefully will be amicable and reciprocating rather than aggressive and hostile - always takes two to tango)

And as Heero just said, the NHS doesn't need to sign contracts with the America drugs companies if it doesn't want to.

2b Heero Yuy sums it up well. The only tricky point is NHS's N.I.C.E but that's a hurdle even when buying from within the EU. The US will have to come to terms with the fact that the NHS is offering a basic health service paid for by the government from the taxpayer (who has no choice even if they additionally pay for private non-NHS treatment. That will be the limited market in the UK for the US to try and flog unacceptably expensive or non-cost-effective drugs and if they want to buy a few private hospitals and set up their own private medical insurance to grease that path, well, why not?

Yep. There's always money to be made in hip operations and other non-emergency stuff and there's always cosmetic too.

• This is a point made before and although I don't like the thought of bleached chicken, as long as the stuff is properly labelled, then its up to the consumer what they buy, so I'm a bit more relaxed on this now. Just.

It's no more "bleached" than the packets of salad in the supermarkets that are also chlorinated. It's an anti-bacteria treatment and very dilute. Chlorine is cheap and affective but there are many other products that could be used. (They maybe for all I know)

I agree that all products should be correctly labelled and it is down to the consumer to which one they'll buy. Some will always buy the cheapest no matter how it is produced or treated. Just in the same way that I wouldn't buy GM products or derived product such as rapeseed oil.

4312-gwban-gif

• I avoid those packets of salad, Heero. Lots of articles about them and they're bad news. No good news in them at all.

Likewise, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. Too many cases of food poisoning even though they are treated. Same goes for any pre-prepared vegetables, I like to start with the whole untouched item, peel and slice it myself. Then all the goodness is still there.

4312-gwban-gif

• It's no more "bleached" than the packets of salad in the supermarkets that are also chlorinated. It's an anti-bacteria treatment and very dilute. Chlorine is cheap and affective but there are many other products that could be used. (They maybe for all I know)

That's a good point about supermarket chlorinated salad packs, which I first discovered in the South of France supermarkets - they were quite delicious

• What USA hates is the EU power in market. The EU has nogotiation power that blocks Trump to dictate his orders. The UK alone has zero negotiation power and will have to take what is give to it.

Funny how the british dont see this divide et impera tactics.

• Another example of the USA's trade negotiating tactics. It's all do as I want or else

And we are hoping to trade with them

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51206425

I look forward to hearing Brexiters comments when we are asked for our credit cards when seeking medical help. at the moment they will claim this is "project fear"

• Another example of the USA's trade negotiating tactics. It's all do as I want or else

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51206425

I look forward to hearing Brexiters comments when we are asked for our credit cards when seeking medical help. at the moment they will claim this is "project fear"

You haven't fallen for that Corbyn porkie, have you, bryanluc?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

But Trump has done this with everyone, so nothing of surprise here.

Not following you. The story is about cars, but I assume you are talking about British tourists seeking medical help in the US. If you are, the situation will be the same as now, you need insurance.

• Not following you. The story is about cars, but I assume you are talking about British tourists seeking medical help in the US. If you are, the situation will be the same as now, you need insurance.

I quoted this as an example, the start of how it will be here

Trump demands that any of his trading partners obey his commands, we have seen it over Iran and now out tax laws

NHS takeover has been denied, I don;t believe them. If Trump want it he will get it

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!