Will a UK/US trade deal get done?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • The UK is the worlds 6th largest economy. This is despite EU membership and not because of it. The UK has been cherry picked by a number of global organisations over the years who have purchased some of our leading brands and then asset stripped them to re-establish them in one of the less affluent EU nations on the Eastern side. We have also been powerless to defend some of our strategically important industries when they have come under attack such as cheaply dumped Chinese Steel imports designed to kill off competition. If we had the power to do so, we would have dealt with this attack through the tariff system as Trump did, but as an EU member we have to toe the EU line.

We have had a recent history of weak, nation hating, globalist politicians in charge of the UK and this has not helped one little bit. We now have some fresh thinking in charge so I'm confident that after Brexit our 6th place in the economics rankings won't change. Don't express your concern about the UK's future we'll be just fine.

You may want to focus more on whats happening in Iran. Let me give you a bit of good advice....never, ever, ever mix religion and politics. Iran is one of the few nations of the world that could step forward 500 years by going backwards by 50.

I voted to leave the EU, thanks for calling me a delusional zombie, normally it's racist, xenophobe, homophobe, little englander and bigot so its nice to have a new label to wear. I'll add that to the collection.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• So you really think this is old vs young? While it is true that there were more young people than older people voting to remain, this is largely explained by lack of life experience in the young, and this is reflected in many different subject areas - not just Brexit.

Brexiteers, be they young or old, want a better, not a worse life for UK citizens. The EU is not performing well compared with the rest of the world and is pulling us back and saddling us with unwanted bureaucracy.

There are great opportunities ahead of us with the freedom we will gain at the end of this month, and this will become apparent. People will soon be asking awkward questions of those ardent remainers who have been predicting everything short of armeggedon in their desperate attempts to stop Britain leaving the EU.

The world is much bigger than the EU, and our trading potential is huge. It doesn't all come down to whether we can get a trade deal with the US. The EU doesn't have one now, despite 10 years of negotiations, but we still trade with them.

What, exactly, has Britain got to sell that other countries can't get from anywhere else..?

My reading of history is that before joining the EU, Britain was "The Sick Man of Europe." All we produced was overpriced, shoddy goods that were never delivered on time ..... and that was when we had an industrial base (that we no longer have), when the country was still built on coal (and we had a mining industry that Mrs Thatcher was yet to close down), and North Sea oil was yet to be exploited to near exhaustion.

As Roger Waters said so eloquently, "If it wasn't for the nips, being so good at building ships, the yards would still be open on the Clyde."

Our farming and fishing industries won't even feed ourselves let alone leave much for export... provided we have customers to sell to because we're really annoying the people who we might want to trade with. If those bolshy Frenchies refuse to handle British fish on the dockside, where will our fishermen sell...?

We have built some technological expertise but so has the rest of the world. There's nothing special about British technology that sets us above the rest.

I could go on. Really, I could. But I hope you're getting my drift.

You speak of golden times ahead, but give no specifics. It's all pie in the sky and jam tomorrow, but you don't say where it's going to come from.

Optimism is cheap. But it butters no parsnips.

I repeat my question: What has Britain got that the rest of the world needs, and can't get from anywhere else...?

PS..... Oh, and looking down at young people and sneering at "lack of life expertise" is so patronising. I could reply that at least we're not obsessed with former glories, still living in World War II and thinking that Britannia rules the waves.

We may be young, but we know bullshit when we hear it, and Boris Johnson is full of it.

• My reading of history is that before joining the EU, Britain was "The Sick Man of Europe." All we produced was overpriced, shoddy goods that were never delivered on time ..... and that was when we had an industrial base (that we no longer have), when the country was still built on coal (and we had a mining industry that Mrs Thatcher was yet to close down), and North Sea oil was yet to be exploited to near exhaustion.

You musn't say that, that is heresy to the Brexit believers. They think that there is some sort of lost Shangrila that they are returning to. Surprising really as they are the ones who lived through it

• You ignore the fact that Britain is the sixth biggest economy. That should tell you on its own that we have plenty to sell, both goods and services.

Those 'sick man of Europe' days were when we were saddled with paying back the US for their help in the second world war and when we were under a Labour Government, which was not prepared to do anything about the enormous power of the unions and inefficient old industries. I lived through that and remember it well. It took a Conservative Government to tackle the problem head on and transform the economy.

In no way am I belittling young people when I say they lack life experience. It is true, and you know it. I was young once too, and I remember taking an idealistic view of things. Life experience shows that it is not that easy, and things are not as clear cut as they seem.

You live and learn, Jenny. That explains the opinion shift as people get towards their 40s.

• It took a Conservative Government to tackle the problem head on and transform the economy.

Yes, Thatcherism

Close everything down, sky high interest rates, bankruptcies and business failures, and rocketing unemployment

Great days indeed, unless you suffered as a result

• Your kidding me right. 6th world economy mostly owned by foreign infiltrators where we have sold off everything including property. Our biggest trade is arms dealing, the financial sector still has a foot in the door which is mostly based on corruption and tax evasion, and everything else is big corporations that puts nothing into the country and only takes. The only other big business we have is the illegal drug trade, people smuggling and prostitution and that's mostly run by foreign infiltrators and ties in with the financial sector. This country has nothing to trade unless you include buying a cup of coffee down at Starbucks.

We don't even own our hospital porters and they work for French companies like Sodexo where workers earn min wage. We're about to kill off the farming industry The high streets are dying off and people are being made redundant all over the place and as consequence of that many are getting into debt and then end up homeless. Supermarkets are getting replaced with home delivery and staff are getting laid off as they get replaced by machines. The driving industry will go next as electric robotic vehicles and drones take over. Banks and building society's are closing down and moving towards digital, we have lost our post offices, journalism is dead and mostly bot generated content now...shall I go on. And people think that technology is helping LOL

The only business we have left for the majority is all online, youtube and places like that where the money goes to the big corporation from the US. Acting and the celebrity world we have but that's only for the lucky few. Then there's sport which has sold out to foreigners. Yet again only for the lucky few and they are all professional tax evaders. This country was better off just after the world war where it starting regenerating things. People had jobs and there was sense of community, the NHS was created, there was British steel, ship building, Mining, farming, a pub trade and high st shops, a motor trade etc etc and once the 70's came we started the downward spiral and going downhill fast and we are still falling. We will be selling the Crown Jewels next.

We need to start listening to the kids because it's their future. Kick the grave diggers, all of them out of parliament and lets fill it up with youngsters. Finland have got the right idea. As things stand we are just going around in circles and the rich and poor divide is getting bigger all the time. The morons in parliament haven't even got the intelligence to legalise cannabis, yet most will be having toot in the parliament bogs or drinking gin from a hip flask. Have us open up Amsterdam style coffee shops all over and generate masses of tax to replace some employment lost and at the same time take most of it out of criminal hands. It would also take some pressure of the NHS from those hooked on opioid painkillers and those suffering from depression and other problems caused by society. It would also take pressure off the prison service. So many cures from one simple action.

• Yes, Thatcherism

Close everything down, sky high interest rates, bankruptcies and business failures, and rocketing unemployment

Great days indeed, unless you suffered as a result

It had to be done, Bryanluc. Industry was a drag on the economy - it was inefficient and strike-ridden. We couldn't have carried on like that.

I know that the mass closures took its toll on the employees, but what was the alternative? Sooner or later, the country would have run out of money to support them anyway (we were nearly there having turned to the IMF for a loan with no means of paying it back, the way we were going).

Yes. Margaret Thatcher got the blame, but it would have happened eventually anyway, and the whole country would have gone down as well with those failing industries.

• Your kidding me right. 6th world economy mostly owned by foreign infiltrators where we have sold off everything including property. Our biggest trade is arms dealing, the financial sector still has a foot in the door which is mostly based on corruption and tax evasion, and everything else is big corporations that puts nothing into the country and only takes. The only other big business we have is the illegal drug trade, people smuggling and prostitution and that's mostly run by foreign infiltrators and ties in with the financial sector. This country has nothing to trade unless you include buying a cup of coffee down at Starbucks.

We don't even own our hospital porters and they work for French companies like Sodexo where workers earn min wage. We're about to kill off the farming industry The high streets are dying off and people are being made redundant all over the place and as consequence of that many are getting into debt and then end up homeless. Supermarkets are getting replaced with home delivery and staff are getting laid off as they get replaced by machines. The driving industry will go next as electric robotic vehicles and drones take over. Banks and building society's are closing down and moving towards digital, we have lost our post offices, journalism is dead and mostly bot generated content now...shall I go on. And people think that technology is helping LOL

The only business we have left for the majority is all online, youtube and places like that where the money goes to the big corporation from the US. Acting and the celebrity world we have but that's only for the lucky few. Then there's sport which has sold out to foreigners. Yet again only for the lucky few and they are all professional tax evaders. This country was better off just after the world war where it starting regenerating things. People had jobs and there was sense of community, the NHS was created, there was British steel, ship building, Mining, farming, a pub trade and high st shops, a motor trade etc etc and once the 70's came we started the downward spiral and going downhill fast and we are still falling. We will be selling the Crown Jewels next.

We need to start listening to the kids because it's their future. Kick the grave diggers, all of them out of parliament and lets fill it up with youngsters. Finland have got the right idea. As things stand we are just going around in circles and the rich and poor divide is getting bigger all the time. The morons in parliament haven't even got the intelligence to legalise cannabis, yet most will be having toot in the parliament bogs or drinking gin from a hip flask. Have us open up Amsterdam style coffee shops all over and generate masses of tax to replace some employment lost and at the same time take most of it out of criminal hands. It would also take some pressure of the NHS from those hooked on opioid painkillers and those suffering from depression and other problems caused by society. It would also take pressure off the prison service. So many cures from one simple action.

Utterly clueless bollocks.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• If the cap fits.................

This from someone who had just posted "Utterly clueless bollocks."

So what you are saying is I am a bigot for disagreeing with Nora Batty. Is that a bigot bigot or racist bigot or both?

• So you really think this is old vs young? While it is true that there were more young people than older people voting to remain, this is largely explained by lack of life experience in the young, and this is reflected in many different subject areas - not just Brexit.

Brexiteers, be they young or old, want a better, not a worse life for UK citizens. The EU is not performing well compared with the rest of the world and is pulling us back and saddling us with unwanted bureaucracy.

There are great opportunities ahead of us with the freedom we will gain at the end of this month, and this will become apparent. People will soon be asking awkward questions of those ardent remainers who have been predicting everything short of armeggedon in their desperate attempts to stop Britain leaving the EU.

The world is much bigger than the EU, and our trading potential is huge. It doesn't all come down to whether we can get a trade deal with the US. The EU doesn't have one now, despite 10 years of negotiations, but we still trade with them.

The EU is one of the richest entities in the world with highest global living standards. Thats a simple fact.

You know wjats not doing well? 90% of your former colonies.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!