Will a UK/US trade deal get done?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • All our partners in the Five Eyes Security arrangements.

Make that 14 eyes. As a member of 5 eyes we are privy to information from all 14 but more sensitive information we do not share with either 9 or 14. It's a tier system with 5 eyes privy to everything, 9 eyes get slightly less and 14 even less.

Oh dear, Nora. You're not a fan, are you? ?

No I am not a fan. Tech is not the way to repair what's broken with humanity. It will just break it even more. Why not be content watching SD movies on your phone instead of 4K or 5K as it rolls out. The storyline is what is important. It's a commercial product to make us spend more money. The faster the networking the more it will fill up with data as packets get bigger. So in reality it will end up the same as now. It's like adding extra digits to a phone number when it gets full, add more and it allows you to fill it up with more. Just wait until we get the brain implants. We will all be assimilated and living in a world like Black Mirror. We need to get back to being human rather that trying to turn humans into humanoids. It's all about support for companies and profit and not about public services. But there is a huge problem. As more of this tech takes jobs away how are people gong to able to afford to pay companies and make them profit. Do we really need a load of drones doing deliveries when people can do that job.

iPhones Will Get Bigger And More Expensive This Year Thanks To 5G

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20200…nks-to-5g.shtml

And if you really want to know where we are heading eventually then read E. M. Forster's 'The machine stops' 1909. It's only a short book so won't take long.

https://www.ele.uri.edu/faculty/vetter…chine-Stops.pdf

• You have no clue how crazy we can become.

Couldn't disagree more!

The day Darioush can address rather than deflect or ignore incidents like the one below is the day will believe he isn't complete mad or mad or both

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51103686

• Mike Pence, Trumps VP, has said that the UK Huawei deal will affect any UK USA trade deal. The Yanks don't like it because it contradicts their own China trade embargo

So that's one of the so called great new trade deals going down the pan but that's no surprise, Trump only accedes if there's something it for him

Ant to thin we are throwing away very successful EU trade deals for this nonsense, the lunatics have truly taken over the asylum :(

I imagine many people are keeping a watchful eye on this and are using this as a gauge of how the UK will conduct itself in future trade negotiations. Or indeed, how successful the UK will be in its trade negotiations with both the US and the EU.

• I imagine many people are keeping a watchful eye on this and are using this as a gauge of how the UK will conduct itself in future trade negotiations. Or indeed, how successful the UK will be in its trade negotiations with both the US and the EU.

Pre-negotiation rhetoric should not be taken too seriously. You only have to remember the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement negotiations to realise that.

Remember that backstop which would never be up for negotiation?

Faint-hearts always lose out in negotiations!

• Pre-negotiation rhetoric should not be taken too seriously. You only have to remember the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement negotiations to realise that.

Remember that backstop which would never be up for negotiation?

Faint-hearts always lose out in negotiations!

Yes; the Brexit Withdrawal negotiations and backstop issue should be also used to gauge Britain's ability to negotiate.

• Yes; the Brexit Withdrawal negotiations and backstop issue should be also used to gauge Britain's ability to negotiate.

Not sure what point you are making here but I know it's not supportive. Let's get some things straight.

Hostile remainers said we could never get the first stage of a deal done when Theresa May was in power. It was done and in time.

Then they said we would never get our proposals through the EU. They got through.

Then the hostile remainer parliament stepped in and caused huge difficulties for the government and tried to prevent the withdrawal agreement from being endorsed while at the same time seditiously conniving with the EU behind the government's back.

Then in came Boris Johnson, who said he would negotiate away the backstop, which was eroding support for the agreement. Hostile remainers said it couldn't be done, as did the EU. It got through.

Eventually, agreement was achieved for the second reading of the agreement, but then the delaying tactics started. The PM had enough of all this and went for an election. Hostile remainers campaigned against it and thought their stance would get rid of the Conservatives and let them in. Much to their surprise, the Conservatives, with their strong pledge to get us out of the EU, were returned to power with a comfortable majority. The withdrawal agreement was signed off by parliament and the EU.

Throughout this process, the hostile remainers have got everything wrong, not helped by an establishment that was determined to stop the will of the electorate from being realised.

Now they are off again - we won't get a no tariff deal with the EU, we won't get a deal with the US, we are just a small country and will be trodden over by the rest of the world, our trade with the EU will diminish substantially....

Hostile remainers will never learn from their mistakes of the past. Positive Brexiteers soldier on regardless and will prove them all wrong, again and again.

Incidentally, by 'hostile remainers', I am referring to those who have refused to accept the democratic will of the people. Most decent remainers have accepted it, despite any reservations they may have had.

• Hostile remainers said we could never get the first stage of a deal done when Theresa May was in power. It was done and in time.

Then they said we would never get our proposals through the EU. They got through.

Err, we haven't got a deal and all the indications are that we ain't gonna get one

• Err, we haven't got a deal and all the indications are that we ain't gonna get one

As you know, I was talking in tne past tense and I was clearly referring to the withdrawal agreement which you and other remainers said would not be agreed.

As for the trade deal, it is the same persistent negativity all over again. Remainers are the only ones convinced by all this nonsense, and the voters have seen through them.

• Yeah, that's what I thought as well. I mean, weren't we supposed to discuss trade deal during transition period?

That's what this thread is all about. However, when you guys keep pushing your negativity on here, it is salutory to remember that you had exactly the same attitude towards the withdrawal agreement.

No-one has come up with a decent argument as to why we will be worse off when we leave the EU than we were in it. The EU agreed with us very clearly in the political statement that the aim was to get a no-tariffs trade deal, and yet you and your like-minded friends keep saying it's impossible, without giving a satisfactory reason for that view.

Our trade with the EU will be much the same after the withdrawal agreement comes to an end + we will have more trade with the rest of the world. How do you arrive at a negative figure?

We will either get trade deals or we won't, but you don't need a trade deal to trade. If the EU applies tariffs, for example, we will apply them back, and that will make their goods less competitive than goods from other parts of the world. They export more to us than we do to them, so we are net beneficieries of that arrangement.

Of course we will get deals, but that is only part of the equation.

• That's what this thread is all about. However, when you guys keep pushing your negativity on here, it is salutory to remember that you had exactly the same attitude towards the withdrawal agreement.

No-one has come up with a decent argument as to why we will be worse off when we leave the EU than we were in it. The EU agreed with us very clearly in the political statement that the aim was to get a no-tariffs trade deal, and yet you and your like-minded friends keep saying it's impossible, without giving a satisfactory reason for that view.

Our trade with the EU will be much the same after the withdrawal agreement comes to an end + we will have more trade with the rest of the world. How do you arrive at a negative figure?

We will either get trade deals or we won't, but you don't need a trade deal to trade. If the EU applies tariffs, for example, we will apply them back, and that will make their goods less competitive than goods from other parts of the world. They export more to us than we do to them, so we are net beneficieries of that arrangement.

Of course we will get deals, but that is only part of the equation.

Your post is so not fair. It is not negative to correct your errors. It is not negative to fact-check your unsubstantiated claims. It comes across as though you want us all to defer to your opinions.

I have given substantiations why I think the UK will not get a no-tariffs deal -- Johnson insisting that we will not follow EU regulations and abide by the "level playing field"; Johnson working towards a trade deal with the US at the expense of the EU which will probably turn out to be a huge negotiations problem on account of convergence of standards. But you have not refuted any of it, have you? And neither have you put any substance to your belief that we will get the trade deal as and when and how we want it.

All you're doing is moan about this supposed negativity of the "remainers." I mean, just read this claim of yours: "Our trade with the EU will be much the same after the withdrawal agreement comes to an end + we will have more trade with the rest of the world."

Where and how did you get that from? Where is the substance in your claim? I read it and all I see is you talking; making a grand claim. And then when people question it and when people fact-check your claims; you go wobbly and wail "so negative, so negative, it's not fair!"

• Your post is so not fair. It is not negative to correct your errors. It is not negative to fact-check your unsubstantiated claims. It comes across as though you want us all to defer to your opinions.

I have given substantiations why I think the UK will not get a no-tariffs deal -- Johnson insisting that we will not follow EU regulations and abide by the "level playing field"; Johnson working towards a trade deal with the US at the expense of the EU which will probably turn out to be a huge negotiations problem on account of convergence of standards. But you have not refuted any of it, have you? And neither have you put any substance to your belief that we will get the trade deal as and when and how we want it.

All you're doing is moan about this supposed negativity of the "remainers." I mean, just read this claim of yours: "Our trade with the EU will be much the same after the withdrawal agreement comes to an end + we will have more trade with the rest of the world."

Where and how did you get that from? Where is the substance in your claim? I read it and all I see is you talking; making a grand claim. And then when people question it and when people fact-check your claims; you go wobbly and wail "so negative, so negative, it's not fair!"

Why do you think my post is 'so unfair'? I agree it is not negative to correct errors, but I have not made errors here. You just have a different opinion. The fact that my opinion differs from yours doesn't make me wrong. I have pointed out past inaccurate forecasts and you don't even address that because you cannot comprehend that these views have already been proved wrong.

The EU has been well aware all along that we are not prepared to accept a level playing field, and yet it still signed up to the political declaration. That's what makes your scepticism or downright disbelief that we will get a trade deal done all the more extraordinary. I would say you are in denial.

The whole financial basis of the Brexiteer justification for pulling out of the EU is that we will gain financially by increasing trade with the rest of the world. You have not explained why that is impossible, and yet that seems to be what you are claiming.

• No-one has come up with a decent argument as to why we will be worse off when we leave the EU than we were in it.

Perhaps you missed the warnings from business, the BofE, former Chancellors, and others during the Brexit campaign

Just because you chose to ignore them you cannot argue that you were not warned

• Why do you think my post is 'so unfair'? I agree it is not negative to correct errors, but I have not made errors here. You just have a different opinion. The fact that my opinion differs from yours doesn't make me wrong. I have pointed out past inaccurate forecasts and you don't even address that because you cannot comprehend that these views have already been proved wrong.

The EU has been well aware all along that we are not prepared to accept a level playing field, and yet it still signed up to the political declaration. That's what makes your scepticism or downright disbelief that we will get a trade deal done all the more extraordinary. I would say you are in denial.

The whole financial basis of the Brexiteer justification for pulling out of the EU is that we will gain financially by increasing trade with the rest of the world. You have not explained why that is impossible, and yet that seems to be what you are claiming.

You are so blissfully unaware.

We already have trade deals with the rest of the world. The rest of the world being the major players in global trading. The only problem you have with it is because they were not arranged by Britain.

You actually believe that Japan will increase its trade with the UK because we have withdrawn from the EU when they just signed a deal with the EU? You really think our trade with China will get bigger while we cosy up with the US? And haven't you heard what Canada said about post-Brexit trade negotiations with Britain?? And how do you think we can increase trade with the rest of the world when the government themselves proposed at one point to just "cut and paste" our tariff schedules and trade arrangements -- deals that were finalised by the EU for us.

Edited once, last by schmaltz (March 11, 2020 at 9:46 AM).

• No, I didn't miss them. I noted, however, that they were all wrong last time. Then I applied a little common sense.

I think you need to take off your Eurosceptic tinted glasses

• Maybe a US trade deal can help redress the imbalance while providing advantages to both sides.

Meanwhile, the first real signs of progress in getting the trade deals that bring more to benefit us than happened while we were in the EU. The BBC is reporting today that new trade and investment deals agreed with India worth £1bn will create 6,000 jobs in the UK. This is ahead of an UK-India Free Trade Agreement that the government expects to be able to negotiate in the coming months.

India has tremendous potential and our relationship with that country are becoming much closer after a tetchy relationship following independence.

This just just the tip of the iceberg, and having achieved continuity deals with most countries where EU deals existed previously, the game-changing deals are now in sharp focus.

A new deal with Australia shouldn’t be too far away either.

If, as the government expects, we achieve membership of the alliance of Asian countries (ASEAN) which we formally applied to join on 1 February 2021, this will also help to boost existing trading levels significantly.

The show is just beginning.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!