New Virgin Media carriage dispute- 30 channels due to be removed from midnight tomorrow.

Please treat other members in a friendly and respectful manner: Our Community Guidelines.

• Thanks for posting that. We don't watch any of those channels so it won't affect us but some will be.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Easily solved for most people using existing tuners and My5 app. Half their channels are FTA on Freeview and/or Freesat. Not much leverage, and brands I suspect most of UK public aren't as attached to as UKTV ones.

• Their most recent spin offs seem to just show the same content so as to acquire more advertising minutage and the music channels appear to be in terminal decline.

Channel 5 SD is a bit of an oddity. In theory they aren't allowed to withdraw this as it's covered by the cable franchise 'must carry' rules. However, as was the case with the ITV dispute, the Government muddied the waters by allowing retransmission fees.

If Channel 5 attempt to withdraw Channel 5 SD, I expect VM will source an unauthorised feed from satellite to pipe through their system. There defence would be that they are obliged to carry this particular channel.

Who knows, retransmission fees could well be the sticking point in their negotiations.

• The link now redirects to the Viacom corporate web page. Maybe VM are not happy that this web page was discovered and that the situation is now in the public domain or a deal has been reached??

• Bloody hell!8|

That said, if Channel 5 gets removed, no harm there!^^

Easily solved for most people using existing tuners and My5 app. Half their channels are FTA on Freeview and/or Freesat. Not much leverage, and brands I suspect most of UK public aren't as attached to as UKTV ones.

Indeed. When was MTV last music television? Ages ago. As for the others, rubbish.

I wonder if the CBS joint venture channels are affected?

The link now redirects to the Viacom corporate web page. Maybe VM are not happy that this web page was discovered and that the situation is now in the public domain or a deal has been reached??

Or, it's just gone tits up!^^

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Gosh, what would we do if we didn't have access to delights like Catfish and Love Squad. Shoot me now, life is unbearable without those.8o

• Hmmm! déjà vu.

The links seem to be dropping like flies, so maybe things are going well.

https://www.seenit.co.uk/viaco…vanish-from-virgin-media/

The keepmyviacom.co.uk site also warns that on-demand and catch-up access to shows such as Geordie OGs, Cribs,Teen Mom OG, Love Squad, VMAs, Are You The One?, Ex On The Beach USA, Catfish on MTV, Russell Howard & Mum: Globetrotters, Your Face or Mine, Blockbusters, Impractical Jokers and South Park is also on the line.

Gosh! such a loss!

Seriously though, Viacom needs to recognise that declining audience figures for such, erm, quality content will lead to less cash being offered by the pay-tv companies. Also, VM needs to recognise that annually inflicting, above inflation, price rises on their customers gives broadcasters a perfect opportunity to point this fact out whenever contract renegotiations stall.

A bit more about VM's latest dispute here:

https://www.rxtvlog.com/2019/0…eat-for-virgin-media.html

• Gosh, what would we do if we didn't have access to delights like Catfish and Love Squad. Shoot me now, life is unbearable without those.8o

Lol, maybe I should have refreshed the thread before making my previous post. :)

I'm sure I read recently that Channel 5 are no longer focussing on the youth audience. In which case, Viacom should be well aware that this time of content isn't attracting the audience figures it once did.

• Channel 5 are no longer focusing on the youth audience.

Is there such a thing? Most of the youths I see are glued to their iphones and don't even know what broadcast TV is.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Is there such a thing? Most of the youths I see are glued to their iphones and don't even know what broadcast TV is.

It depends if you believe any of this: https://www.thinkbox.tv/Resear…ences/Young-people-and-TV

The Controller of Channel 5, Ben Frow doesn't seem convinced. From the Broadcast article linked above:

“We are no longer obsessed with young people,” said Frow. “Trying to snare a young person these days is goddamn hard and I don’t have that money.”

Well, I guess Viacom will have even less money if they don't reach an agreement with VM. Loss of funds from VM and a loss of advertising revenue.

Of course, if you ask the marketing guys, they'll just redefine the meaning of "youth".

https://www.marketingcharts.co…nces/youth-and-gen-x-6530

• It's been said that My5 isn't actually available on the TiVo (just selected shows available to catch up on).

I can't check at the moment but, if this is correct, perhaps this forms part of the negotiations??

• Yes, I think Channel 5 content is only available as a limited catch up.

Channel 5's on demand apps have never been made as widely available as those of the other PSBs. Maybe Viacom are starting to regret that move as other broadcasters gain ground.

• My5 is an odd one. Even on the My5 app, much of the content is on 30 day catch up, just as it is on VM. It also includes some programmes not included in the VM version, but not many. VM doesn't seem to get the box sets or any of the My5 content from other broadcasters. Some of that may be down to the other broadcasters, in which case VM won't be able to carry that on the legacy on-demand service.

As for MTV Classic, probably one of MTV's better channels. The loss of MTV Live would be a blow, I think it's still a VM exclusive in the UK.

• If only they concentrated on making decent shows rather than all the pissing around.

I wonder if the addition of My5 and MTV Classics to the VM platform are the stumbling blocks? Maybe VM want them thrown in at no extra cost and Viacom don't accept this?

Could be Richard and the current CBS and Viacom remerger maybe a factor too. VM has always said it wants full access to on demand stuff in carriage negotiations with content companies, but would that include all the streamers that ViacomCBS plan to launch?

I miss MTV Classics. The only decent MTV channel that still exists.

• Perhaps. That wouldn't surprise me as, much like broadcast radio, music video channels are in decline. After difficult negotiations, both parties try to paint themselves as having got the deal they always wanted giving the viewers more of what they want for less. So fairly typical comments.

• Perhaps. That wouldn't surprise me as, much like broadcast radio, music video channels are in decline. After difficult negotiations, both parties try to paint themselves as having got the deal they always wanted giving the viewers more of what they want for less. So fairly typical comments.

Well, after the UKTV dispute, VM don't seem to be afraid of asking for reduced carriage fees to the point of removing the relevant channels temporarily (or permanently if needs be).

It would be very interesting to know what was agreed upon to make the ITV retransmission fee dispute go away. I suspect that VM either agreed to pay them in return for additional content, or that they agreed to buy extra services in exchange for dropping the request for retransmission fees (enabling ITV to get extra money, whilst allowing VM to save face after saying that they would always refuse to pay them).

• As I've said before, they should stop offering bundled deals to the broadcasters, blurring the lines between pay-tv and advertiser supported channels. As viewing patterns change over the years and audiences desert some of the formerly popular channels, VM needs to use the audience stats to reduce any fees paid for any channels haemorrhaging viewers. It seems they still don't quite seem to have perfected the art and tend to end up throwing the baby out with the bathwater...

AFAIK Carolyn McCall has significantly different views to the previous CEO at ITV, preferring to increase funds from the pay-tv elements of ITV.

• Which types of viewing data are they collecting JJ20X? I can imagine requests for on-demand content, I've always assumed that. I know they have series link backups and the thumbs data because that carried over upgrading to from Tivo to V6. Given we lose Favourites when channels move multiplex on the network, and that I redid those upon getting a new box, I'll guess not those.

Given you can set recordings remotely, they probably collect at least some of that.

Do they actually monitor what channel numbers are typed in, or channels picked to view from the EPG? How long we are on them?

I'm assuming since implementing Adsmart more is being collected than before.

• As far as recordings go, they are visible to customers remotely so will also visible to VM. The boxes have a return path, so VM will also be able to monitor things such as channels viewed live and for how long. They won't know if the channel is actually being viewed by a person or playing to an empty room, so it's not entirely accurate.

• Well, the channels are still on VM, but I do hope that Viacom (and VM) see sense here and take this opportunity for a "refresh" of the channel portfolio, considering the "quality" is currently spread like thin gruel. Also, now that we're in the streaming age and with content companies staring to withhold content for their own services, I wonder if this may impact any deal between VM and Viacom.

Once CBS and Viacom remerge again and if you include the CBS joint venture channels with AMC, this is what ViacomCBS will control on VM:

105: Channel 5

132: Comedy Central

133: Comedy Central +1

134: MTV

148: CBS Reality

149: horror channel

150: CH5 HD

151: 5 STAR

152: 5 SELECT

153: 5 USA

154: 5 Spike

155: Ch5 +1

181: Comedy Central HD

182: Comedy Central Extra

183: MTV HD

184: BET

185: 5 USA+1

186: 5 STAR +1

187: Paramount Network HD

188: Paramount Network

192: CBS Justice

197: CBS Drama

201: CBS Reality +1

202: Horror channel +1

310: MTV Music

311: MTV Music Live HD

312: MTV Hits

313: MTV Base

314: Club MTV

315: MTV Rocks

316: VH-1

318: MTV OMG

712: Nickelodeon

713: Nick +1

714: Nick HD

715: Nick jnr

716: Nick jnr too

717: Nick toons

Too many bloody channels!

But even with that lot, we're still missing a few which are on Sky:

Comedy Central Extra +1

5Spike +1

MTV Classic

MTV Music +1

Yanga (like BET)

So, what should happen to all these channels? Personally, although brands like MTV are well known and I think Spike is a good brand, I reckon Channel 5 should be renamed CBS and then have a selected collection of CBS offshoot channels, pretty much like there is now. I would have HD versions of all channels and lose the SD variants now and as I like the +1s, I would still keep them.

CBS makes good shows and perhaps its high time they start putting all their own shows on their own channels.