New Virgin Media carriage dispute- 30 channels due to be removed from midnight tomorrow.

Please treat other members in a friendly and respectful manner: Our Community Guidelines.

• Brand recognition for CBS brand in UK isn't anywhere like as high as Channel 5. I can't see any point, it's just a set of letters that will be meaningless and cost money to implement.

Similarly Sky is much more valuable a brand than NBC for Comcast in UK and other places outside US.

• I agree that the CBS brand is unknown here, but is Channel 5 really a strong brand??

I think this amount of channels and with all different branding ranging from the Ch5 channels, to the CBS branded ones and the viacom brands, is just too much of a mess now.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I agree that the CBS brand is unknown here, but is Channel 5 really a strong brand??

I think this amount of channels and with all different branding ranging from the Ch5 channels, to the CBS branded ones and the viacom brands, is just too much of a mess now.

Well, they tried to change it to five, but everyone still called it Channel 5, so Viacom ended up changing it back again when they bought it!

As it's the fifth of the five PSB channels, I don't think that renaming it would benefit them in any way. As for the offshoots, That's a different thing altogether.

• I doubt that the UK channel management teams will change significantly. There isn't much to merge in the UK. As you say, the "CBS" branded channels here are managed by AMC. They seem worse than Viacom when it comes to spreading content thinly.

• Well, they tried to change it to five, but everyone still called it Channel 5, so Viacom ended up changing it back again when they bought it!

As it's the fifth of the five PSB channels, I don't think that renaming it would benefit them in any way. As for the offshoots, That's a different thing altogether.

It was Richard Desmond, wasn't it, who switched it back to Channel 5 if my memory serves me correctly?:/

I doubt that the UK channel management teams will change significantly. There isn't much to merge in the UK. As you say, the "CBS" branded channels here are managed by AMC. They seem worse than Viacom when it comes to spreading content thinly.

This is what I don't understand. Viacom currently own the Paramount studios, so you'd think their channels would be filled with Paramount films (obviously not the new stuff currently licensed to Sky) and when CBS come onboard, then they'll control all the Star Trek, CSI franchises, so there's oodles of content, or should be.

• I was thinking that too Horizon, as far as I recall it was Desmond. And typical of his stuff it came with tacky styling too, the word "channel" in a not particularly nice typeface above 5. Viacom brought in the current logo I think and dumped the "channel" again.

• "Five" was RTL branding and was dumped under Desmond's management.

Channel Five and Five Star have dabbled with movie content. Five Star still does to a lesser extent with much of the "TV movie" genre being moved onto Paramount. Expect to see some changes within the Channel Five stable as Ben Frow shifts the focus. Although I'm not sure this indicates a significant departure from the status quo: https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk…-spin-off/5142563.article

Channel 5 orders Neighbours spin-off

The following link should make more sense to anyone not able to read behind the Broadcast Now paywall:

https://www.tvwise.co.uk/2019/…in-off-erinsborough-high/

• It was Richard Desmond, wasn't it, who switched it back to Channel 5 if my memory serves me correctly?:/

This is what I don't understand. Viacom currently own the Paramount studios, so you'd think their channels would be filled with Paramount films (obviously not the new stuff currently licensed to Sky) and when CBS come onboard, then they'll control all the Star Trek, CSI franchises, so there's oodles of content, or should be.

Thinking about it, I think you're right.

• I was thinking that too Horizon, as far as I recall it was Desmond. And typical of his stuff it came with tacky styling too, the word "channel" in a not particularly nice typeface above 5. Viacom brought in the current logo I think and dumped the "channel" again.

I didn't like the typeface of the logo either.

I have spent many a happy time on forums talking about such things (being completely sad!^^) have a ganders at these threads if you get a chance:

ITV unveils new look for 2019

Latest BBC idents. Does anyone like them?

DOGs (Digital Onscreen Guides) aka channel logos. Why do we need them?

• I definitely like the original Ch5 branding when it launched, but I don't like how the current "5" is cut into pieces and looks like they're trying to copy the original Ch4 logo with that one.

Ah! You're interested in branding too! :)

I've been talking about this stuff for 30+ years, so yes, just a little.:)

• Although we don't always find out how these situations are resolved, this time we have.

https://www.virginmedia.com/co…p-in-multi-year-agreement

So, more catch up and on demand content and the addition of the My5, Pluto TV & MTV Play apps.

No mention of channel lineup changes (most of the missing are +1s, so probably none), so it'll be a case of wait and see for EPG number changes, HD swap-outs, if they are coming.

• It does seem odd that VM in the UK doesn't carry MTV Classics (I think VM Ireland does). As viewers for music channels fall, you'd think that Viacom would have thrown it in for nothing just to attract more viewers to it.

As Viacom said that they weren't asking more more money, I imagine that VM wanted to actually pay less in carriage fees as the music channels in the Viacom portfolio fall out of favour with the public. I bet that Viacom and VM eventually agreed on the same fees, in return for VM being given extra for their money.

I'm really surprised that the missing linear channels don't appear to be being added.

• VM have said with previous broadcaster negotiations (e.g. UKTV) they wanted more on-demand content. They certainly seem to have got that in the Viacom deal.

Some of the MTV music channels moving down packages should get them more eyeballs.

The press release was very light on detail, except for the mention of the 3 apps and on-demand content, so I wouldn't say Classic is not in any deal, they were very vague when it came to channels. Many of the Sky deal happenings didn't happen for quite some time after they announced a deal had been agreed.

• The press release was very light on detail,

Wasn't it just. I would love to have MTV Classic, but its not looking hopeful.

Mediaboy is saying on CF, that a 5USA HD channel might appear at some point soon, so perhaps there is new stuff on the way.

• Wasn't it just. I would love to have MTV Classic, but its not looking hopeful.

Mediaboy is saying on CF, that a 5USA HD channel might appear at some point soon, so perhaps there is new stuff on the way.

He's added more about MTV Classic...and not in a particularly good way.

• Yes, here it is:

Media Boy Sources has now given us new info on what Viacom offer to Virgin Media:

-Viacom did offer new channels with Nick Jr HD being known.

-Base on information we seen Viacom maybe about to AXE MTV Cassic or becoming an demand service (MTV Play) only.

Perhaps VM want to standardise channels across their UK and Irish networks.