Trump arms Kurds. Will it turn Turkey into a enemy?

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • US President Donald Trump has approved supplying weapons to Kurdish forces fighting so-called Islamic State (IS) in Syria, the Pentagon says.

Kurdish elements of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) would be equipped to help drive IS from its stronghold, Raqqa, a spokeswoman said.

The US was "keenly aware" of Turkey's concerns about such a move, she added.

Turkey views the Kurdish rebels as terrorists and wants to stop them taking more territory in Syria.

Will this move drive Turkey out of Nato and straight into Putin's arms?. Or, worse, could it make Turkey become a full blown enemy of western countries?

Personally, I think its a move that should have happened years ago and may have prevented many of the atrocities we've seen in Syria. But once ISIS are destroyed, I believe it is delusion to think that the Kurds won't then use those arms to carve out their own homeland out of bits of Syria, Iraq and Turkey. A potentially dangerous situation for the region and possibly the world, depending on who the players are.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• This does look like a dangerous development. With Turkey lurching towards an Islamic state the Kurdish problem can only get worse.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• It does sound a bit like arming the mujahideen fighting the Russians... What could possibly go wrong?

I was thinking along similar lines that Turkey, Syria become the areas where America and western countries fight the Russians via proxies.

Although the Americans have always denied arming Bin Laden to fight the Russians in Afghanistan, they did supply weapons to the mujahideen fighters, many of whom morphed into Al Qaeda.

As you say, what can possibly go wrong...?

• This does look like a dangerous development. With Turkey lurching towards an Islamic state the Kurdish problem can only get worse.

Well, you can't really blame the Kurds wanting their own country especially with Turkey lurching towards becoming an Islamic state as you say and they were guaranteed their own country it by the world powers after either WW1 or WW2, can't remember which.

With Trump arming them, it can only be a matter of time before the western countries and Turkey fall out, big time

• Turkey defies US as Russian S-400 missile defence arrives

Turkey has received the first parts of a Russian S-400 missile defence system despite opposition from the US.

The shipment arrived in an airbase in the capital Ankara on Friday, the Turkish defence ministry says.

The move will anger the US, which has warned that Turkey cannot have both the S-400 anti-aircraft defence system and US F-35 fighter jets.

Turkey and the US are Nato allies - but Turkey has also been establishing closer links with Russia.

Bit by bit we're losing Turkey as it increasingly turns away from the West into the bosom of Putin.

Should Turkey get kicked out of NATO?

• Turkey-Syria border: Kurds bitter as US troops withdraw

US troops have begun withdrawing from positions in northern Syria, paving the way for a Turkish operation against Kurdish fighters in the border area.

Kurdish-led forces have until now been a key US ally in Syria, where they helped defeat the Islamic State group, but Turkey regards them as terrorists.

The main Kurdish-led group called the surprise US move a "stab in the back".

But President Donald Trump defended the pullout, saying it was time "to get out of these ridiculous Endless Wars".

With Turkey lurching ever towards becoming a Islamist state, I think Trump has made the wrong move here, besides, the Kurds are the ones who defeated ISIS, so why stab them in the back now?

• Looks like it's heating up:

Pictures and story on link above.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Our niece n Belgium is married to a Kurd who has limited English or Flemish communication but has tried to explain the situation out there

In his simple terms the Kurds want some independence but Erdogan sees them as a threat. Trump of course needs him for support in the area

I can quite believe how bad Erdogan Is, Simon Reeve did a travel programme through Turkey and highlighted his activities

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• Erdogen is turning Turkey into a Islamist country and the Kurds have been fighting the Islamic extremists and so who does the West support...?X/ We've turned our backs on the Kurds and letting the Turks destroy them is a terrible mistake and not for the first time in history either.

I wonder what will happen to all the thousands of ISIS fighters that were being detained by the Kurds? I doubt the Kurds will ever want to help us again in dealing with ISIS.

Nice one Trump.:cursing:

• Tump couldn't have demonstrated better how ha couldn't care less about his so called allies

Firstly he abandons the Kurds who were mainly responsible for the defeat of ISIS

Then there is the case of this American diplomat's wife who fled back home after killing a 20 year old Brit in a traffic accident. Trump has virtually dismissed this as "it could happen to anyone"

Yet still the Eurosceptics believe that we can do great deals with this man, and get out of the security of the EU

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• Security of the EU? Ha bloody ha! That's the best joke ever!

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Tump couldn't have demonstrated better how ha couldn't care less about his so called allies

Firstly he abandons the Kurds who were mainly responsible for the defeat of ISIS

Then there is the case of this American diplomat's wife who fled back home after killing a 20 year old Brit in a traffic accident. Trump has virtually dismissed this as "it could happen to anyone"

Yet still the Eurosceptics believe that we can do great deals with this man, and get out of the security of the EU

I agree, apart from that last bit.:PTrump is a ignorant pig, but unfortunately he has the support of half of America.

I'm worried about what happens to these ISIS fighters captured by the Turks, barely in mind there is some evidence that Turkey has supported ISIS and facilitated their oil sales over the years.

• Security of the EU? Ha bloody ha! That's the best joke ever!

Perhaps our could point us to any problems in the EU since 1945

And as Erdogen is desperate to join the EU they are more likely to influence him that anybody else

But you won't listen, you think that Little England will have some influence outside of the EU.

How your dreams are about to be shattered

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• Perhaps our could point us to any problems in the EU since 1945

Not in this thread, please. There's a whole Brexit forum and or/European forum for that.

• Not in this thread, please. There's a whole Brexit forum and or/European forum for that.

Sorry, I thought it very relevant to Trump and the hoped for deals that Brexiters think he is going to give them

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• SAS soldiers are poised to launch 'kill or capture' raids to stop British ISIS fighters escaping from Syrian jails

Turkey-Syria offensive: US 'to evacuate 1,000 troops' as Turkey advances

The US is pulling out all of its troops from northern Syria as Turkey advances its operation against the Kurds.

Defence Secretary Mark Esper said Turkey "likely intends" to extend its attack further than originally planned.

The assault is aimed at forcing out Kurdish forces - the main US ally in the area. They may be seeking help from Syria and Russia, said Mr Esper, and the US would not be defending them.

Syria has now announced it is sending troops north to face Turkish forces.

Trump's decision to pull ouf of the Kurdish areas could be the biggest own goal ever. A total disaster. Now we have former allies, the Kurds, seeking assistance from Assad and Putin and we may have to send in the SAS to deal with ISIS which had been dealt with by mostly the Kurds.

What if Putin gives the Kurds help against Turkey, a NATO ally? Just when we think things can't get any worse, there's always another day.