Jeremy Corbyn will take Britain back to the 1970s by nationalising industries, forcing wage caps on businesses and giving huge power to the unions if he gets into power, a leaked copy of Labour's draft manifesto reveals.
The 43-page document, obtained by the Daily Telegraph, shows that Mr Corbyn plans to nationalise energy, rail and mail and will introduce a 20:1 pay cap for businesses.
The manifesto says Mr Corbyn is committed to achieving a "nuclear free world" and is "extremely cautious" about using Britain's nuclear deterrent.
(this article is not behind a paywall)
Labour's manifesto could have been written by Michael Foot. Here's the highlights:
- Energy firms, the railway companies, bus companies and the Royal Mail will be nationalised.
- A Ministry of Labour will be created handing massive power to unions.
- Pay caps forced onto business' at a ratio of 20:1.
- Committent to a "nuclear free world" although trident will be renewed.
- Armed forces only sent into combat if "all other options have been exhausted."
- Pledge to protect "a nomadic way of life" and support gypsies, travellers and the Roma community.
- Would scrap the "Great Repeal Bill" and protect EU funding across UK.
- Will not accept "a no deal is better than a bad deal" in Brexit negotiations.
- Create a National Investment Bank.
- Raise Minimum Wage levels to Living Wage levels.
I'm getting my flares out and time for a bit of a ABBA sing along (all join in!):
"Money, money, money. Let's be funny. In a rich man's world"!
Bless them! They tried.
Nothing new, nothing revolutionary here. Does anyone like this?