Labour's Manifesto leaked. Welcome back to the 70s!

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Jeremy Corbyn will take Britain back to the 1970s by nationalising industries, forcing wage caps on businesses and giving huge power to the unions if he gets into power, a leaked copy of Labour's draft manifesto reveals.

The 43-page document, obtained by the Daily Telegraph, shows that Mr Corbyn plans to nationalise energy, rail and mail and will introduce a 20:1 pay cap for businesses.

The manifesto says Mr Corbyn is committed to achieving a "nuclear free world" and is "extremely cautious" about using Britain's nuclear deterrent.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ifesto-leaked/
    (this article is not behind a paywall)
    =====

Labour's manifesto could have been written by Michael Foot. Here's the highlights:

• Energy firms, the railway companies, bus companies and the Royal Mail will be nationalised.
    • A Ministry of Labour will be created handing massive power to unions.
    • Pay caps forced onto business' at a ratio of 20:1.
    • Committent to a "nuclear free world" although trident will be renewed.
    • Armed forces only sent into combat if "all other options have been exhausted."
    • Pledge to protect "a nomadic way of life" and support gypsies, travellers and the Roma community.
    • Would scrap the "Great Repeal Bill" and protect EU funding across UK.
    • Will not accept "a no deal is better than a bad deal" in Brexit negotiations.
    • Create a National Investment Bank.
    • Raise Minimum Wage levels to Living Wage levels.

I'm getting my flares out and time for a bit of a ABBA sing along (all join in!):

"Money, money, money. Let's be funny. In a rich man's world"!

:D

Bless them! They tried.

Nothing new, nothing revolutionary here. Does anyone like this?

• Been a bit out of touch recently, have they not also spoken about corporation tax hikes? That's a nice lefty version of populism but really only small and medium UK based businesses will ever pay that, large and offshore firms will always get round it (with huge support from the British public I might add).

• It's a ridiculous manifesto because it's so extreme left and obviously totally unaffordable. But having said that it will appeal to a lot of people. The railways are in chaos and costing us millions anyway. Some sources say even more than they did when they were nationalised. Supporting travellers is a terrible idea. Many of them are a curse on society now. Far from being supported they should be forced to obey the laws and illegal settlements should be removed immediately they are set up.

The mess and filth they leave behind costs ratepayers millions. They contribute little or nothing to society. Anyone who's experienced them in their local area knows what a blight they are.

One thing I think we do need is an effective opposition to curb the worst excesses of the government, whoever is in power. When one ignores the Daily Mail rants of " lazy benefit scroungers," there is no doubt that it's the poorest and unfortunate who have suffered most from the cuts and since May refused to rule out any more cuts, they are likely to be on the receiving end any plans she has.

I may be a Tory but I think we need a society which does help those unable, not those unwilling, to work for any reason.

Corbyn will never lead an effective opposition because he's gone too far in the right direction.

• Been a bit out of touch recently, have they not also spoken about corporation tax hikes? That's a nice lefty version of populism but really only small and medium UK based businesses will ever pay that, large and offshore firms will always get round it (with huge support from the British public I might add).

Let me check about the corp tax hikes, they're raising taxes for anyone on higher than 80k.

• Some other highlights from the manifesto:

• Spend an extra £8bn on social care over the next Parliament
    • Ban so-called "zero hours" contracts
    • Reserve 4,000 homes for rough sleepers
    • Build at least 100,000 council and housing association houses a year
    • Price caps on energy, capped at 1k.
    • Lower voting age to 16
    • Ban fracking
    • Scrap benefit sanctions and the so-called "bedroom tax" and restore housing benefit for people aged under 21.
    • Triple lock protected and retirement age would not increase beyond 66.
  • On the railways Morgan, we just stop the subsidies to the companies. They either succeed or not. And if no company is able to run a railway, then there is only one other option.

The bit about the travellers was an eye opener, to say the least!

He wouldn't be supporting travellers if he'd been conned out hundreds for 'replacing a loose tile ' as an elderly relative who lives alone was. Especially when instead of replacing a tile they've pulled down more. And they even promised to come back and do some more work! ( We solved that by fitting a dummy CCTV camera and a few notices on the front door.) Or if like a chap I used to know, they'd be camped on his land for weeks, ( Land which was a proper holiday camp site.) ruining his trade and driving customers away.

At the risk of infringing our ' discrimination laws ' or whatever they are, one of my one liners is - (deleted.)
    P.S. If you feel you should remove that, fair enough.;)

(Mod remark by Horizon: Done!! Pikeys is ok, but it's what you said before that I can't allow)

• He wouldn't be supporting travellers if he'd been conned out hundreds for 'replacing a loose tile ' as an elderly relative who lives alone was. Especially when instead of replacing a tile they've pulled down more. And they even promised to come back and do some more work! ( We solved that by fitting a dummy CCTV camera and a few notices on the front door.) Or if like a chap I used to know, they'd be camped on his land for weeks, ( Land which was a proper holiday camp site.) ruining his trade and driving customers away.

What I don't get with the Hard Left is why they are so supportive of groups who cause our country so many issues. Ie The current Labour leadership practically supported the IRA against us.

As for our traveller friends, yes, I've experienced them... Without giving my exact location away, I'm on the outskirts of London and we encounter them frequently. They've taken over the "rag n bone" trade in my area and I've lots of stories to tell about that in the future.

• Voters overwhelmingly back policies set out in Labour’s leaked manifesto, including nationalising the railways, building more houses and raising taxes on higher earners, according to a poll.

The ComRes survey shows around half of people support state ownership of the train network (52 per cent), energy market (49 per cent) and Royal Mail (50 per cent).
    Roughly a quarter of people (22, 24 and 25 per cent respectively) said they opposed the policies, outlined in the party’s draft document, which was signed off by Labour executives at a meeting on Thursday.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politi…t-a7731536.html

I'm not really surprised that some Labour policies are popular with the voters. I'm sure that many people would approve of some including the nationalisation of the railways and Royal Mail.

• I think that support would evaporate quickley after this:

JEREMY CORBYN was branded “delusional” after Labour outlined radical proposals for a spending spree costing an estimated HALF A TRILLION pounds.
    A leaked manifesto revealed 71 separate spending pledges that experts claimed could up Government spending by £93billion a year – equivalent to £4,000 for every household in Britain.

The Centre for Policy Studies said it was the “longest sweetie shop note in history”. Tim Knox, CPS director, said: “Expecting people to believe that Labour’s pledges are affordable is an insult to their intelligence.”

Julian Jessop, chief economist at the Institute of Economic Affairs, said: “The Labour Party’s manifesto includes delusional and incoherent economics that would result in economic disaster for this country.”

He added: “The Labour Party seems to have grown a whole forest of money trees.”

Source

It's very easy to spend other peoples money. Any tax eventually comes out of the peoples pockets, there's no such thing as "free"

For those here who may not have experienced the 70's here's a good read. I experienced this and it wasn't funny.

• I'm not really surprised that some Labour policies are popular with the voters. I'm sure that many people would approve of some including the nationalisation of the railways and Royal Mail.

They're obviously too young to know what they were like when it was British Rail. The biggest disgrace this country ever had.

The Royal Mail is now efficient whereas it used to be inefficient and cost a fortune. That said, I used to get my post at 7.30 in the morning pretty much on the dot. The average time I get my post now is around 3 in the afternoon, that's if I get it at all. The postmen, always a different one very day, don't seem to understand house numbers, so my post ends up elsewhere quite frequently.

• Voters overwhelmingly back policies set out in Labour’s leaked manifesto, including nationalising the railways, building more houses and raising taxes on higher earners, according to a poll.

The ComRes survey shows around half of people support state ownership of the train network (52 per cent), energy market (49 per cent) and Royal Mail (50 per cent).
    Roughly a quarter of people (22, 24 and 25 per cent respectively) said they opposed the policies, outlined in the party’s draft document, which was signed off by Labour executives at a meeting on Thursday.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politi…t-a7731536.html

I'm not really surprised that some Labour policies are popular with the voters. I'm sure that many people would approve of some including the nationalisation of the railways and Royal Mail.

Frightening. Are people not thinking any more?

• Frightening. Are people not thinking any more?

The whole focus seems to be on Brexit. Domestic issues haven't really been mentioned by the Tories but there are still a lot of problems to sort out. It seems odd to me that just after the referendum there was this focus on those 'left behind and forgotten ' in the present economic climate, traditional Labour supporters who felt that mass immigration was the cause of their inability to find a decent job and afford the rent on a home. ( The Panorama programme is still available. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod…-britain-speaks )

These people, traditional Labour supporters, seem to have turned first to UKIP and now to the Tories to solve their problems. And yet, if the Tories don't curb mass immigration, and I don't think they will very soon or by much, they are still going to be in the same situation, but with a Tory government intent on cutting their welfare and the results of the Brexit they hoped for still as far away as ever.

So I'm wondering if, en masse, they may be putting all their eggs into one basket by giving May an unassailable majority.

• I think for the "left behind and forgotten", I agree Morgan. Brexit or no Brexit, huge immigration or not, these people would still be in the same situation and no current party has a solution for them. The manual factory, mining jobs etc are gone will never come back. We're in the age of AI and robots now, they'll take over all that stuff.

I agree also about the likely inaction in controlling immigration. May's been in charge of that for years and as yet, she's done nothing. So, I don't trust her on that one bit. On the putting all the eggs into one basket, of course you put all your eggs into one basket, then watch the basket. If May fouls up on Brexit and to be fair to her, it is a huge task, the Conservatives will be chucked out of office heads first and will remain out of government for years to come if they do not deliver.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!