The next Speaker will be...

• Harriet Harman has confirmed she will run to become the next Commons Speaker.

The Labour MP and Mother of the House - the longest continuously-serving female MP - made the announcement after the current Speaker, John Bercow, said he would stand down by 31 October.

Ms Harman told BBC Radio 4's Today programme it was the Speaker's job "to ensure Parliament can have its say".

Other MPs intending to stand include Tory Sir Edward Leigh and the SNP's Pete Wishart.

With John Bercow announcing his resignation yesterday (finally!) the MPs wasted no time last night putting in their pitches to the news channels. Lindsay Hoyle, the deputy speaker, was on Sky News almost immediately after Bercow's announcement putting his pitch in with Edward Leigh shortly afterwards, but the fist big gun to announce her candidacy is Harriet Harman. This is the same person who walked away from a car accident several years ago, an accident she caused with the words, "you know who I am, I'm Harriet Harman at Westminster." Should such a person be Speaker?

I'll do a poll when all the candidates are known, but does anyone have any preference that they would like to replace Bercow? Personally, anyone would be better for me!

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I think they should choose someone who does not belong to any political party and is totally impartial and not an elected MP, maybe it should be a civil service role and anyone can apply such as ordinary members of the public.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• He would be a good choice actually as he knows parliamentary procedures better than anyone.

I think they should choose someone who does not belong to any political party and is totally impartial and not an elected MP, maybe it should be a civil service role and anyone can apply such as ordinary members of the public.

Remember Ron, much of the civil service are the ones who've foocked Brexit up for us. They are all almost universally remainers.

I do think it probably should be a MP as it has to be someone who understands how the MPs work, lets hope the new guy or girl is better than the current one.

• The problem with it being an MP is they are more than likely going to have a bias towards one particular party rather than being impartial dispite any claims they are not.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• Until Bercow, I think they were on the whole impartial. He's just been a total cnut who's brought the Speaker position into disrepute, but it all depends on the individual, doesn't it? We could get someone worse...

• Sorry but I just don't trust them to be impartial and the fact the constituency they represent usually don't have candidates that contest them at elections is wholly undemocratic so for that reason it shouldn't be a MP that gets the job.

• Candidates battle it out to replace Commons Speaker Bercow

The nine MPs vying to replace John Bercow as Commons Speaker have been quizzed by journalists in Westminster.

Mr Bercow - who has held the office since 2009 - is standing down on 31 October, with MPs to elect his replacement on 4 November.

Several Tory candidates accused Mr Bercow of being biased - something he has always denied.

One hopeful, deputy Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle, suggested there was a drugs problem in Parliament.

Henry Bellingham wants to wear wigs again if he wins the job. Someone should remind him what century this is.:)

Anyone but Harriet Harman, I can't stand her. Chris Bryant is too highly strung, but very knowledgable, so my favourite for the job would be Edward Leigh. I would expect one of the current deputy speakers to win, though.

Who do you think will replace Bercow?

• Would Chris Bryant take the seat in his "Y" fronts?^^

I have seen former deputy speaker in action who had to stand down when he was tried but acquitted on a rape or assault charge. He was very good but has since set himself up as a fanatical Brexiteer so hardly impartial

I think it has to be a Labour MP this time, if Corbyn has anything to do with it it will be one of hs cronies

Dianne Abbott - what a ghastly thought

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• She couldn't cope with it and she's not a contender, thank goodness.

Anyone is better than the pretentious twat who currently occupies the position.

• I think it has to be a Labour MP this time

Margaret Hodge has had a good record chairing the Public Accounts Committee. She wouldn't stand for any non-sense though I don't know her position on Brexit.:/

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Margaret Hodge has had a good record chairing the Public Accounts Committee. She wouldn't stand for any non-sense though I don't know her position on Brexit.:/

I can't see Corby nominating her following her non stop attacks on him over anti Semitism

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• Speaking of Committee chairs reminded me of Tony Benn's son, Hilary

He would be a good Speaker, a fitting tribute to his father

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• Hilary Benn is one of the most undemocratic MP's in the house, and would be just another Bercow! His Dad was a gentleman, and a democrat too.

• He seems okay and pretty much does the job most of the time anyway. Bercow is barely in the chamber, apart from high profile things like PMQs.

Hilary Benn is one of the most undemocratic MP's in the house, and would be just another Bercow! His Dad was a gentleman, and a democrat too.

Leaving aside Tony Benn, another thread in itself there... Benn Jnr would be a disaster, I agree

Margaret Hodge has had a good record chairing the Public Accounts Committee. She wouldn't stand for any non-sense though I don't know her position on Brexit.:/

For those of us who live in East London, we're very familiar with her track record. She used to be a Barking councillor and there was a cover up of the worst possible kind around twenty years ago and she was right at the centre of it. I say no more, but she wouldn't be my choice for the job.

And as a reminder, we mentioned her on this thread a while ago: Massive leak from Tax havens, including the Queen's secret stash.