North Korean leader's brother killed? Is Kim Jong-un responsible?

• It's a professional hit, no doubt about that. But this chap had a lot of enemies as well as his brother.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Time China stopped supporting the insupportable.

Everything China does is for its own interests (something Trump is being pilloried for even suggesting...) - a ruthless NK dictator is better for them than the chaos that, going by other experiences in the world, might follow. I suppose the various Kims always know just how far they can push it. The assassinations and kidnappings won't worry the Chinese but NK's nuclear capability must make them nervous...

• I think the Chinese are also having trouble containing a flush of democratic aspiration that has broken out. The old guard should realise that you can't join the modern world and let everyone get mightily rich and then tell them you are going to censor their every move and you won't stand for political or ideological competition.

If your biggest friend in defence of your lunatic need to stomp on your own people is the likes of Kim the Nukeman of North Korea then you really are rather sad.

What happened in Tienanmen Square isn't going to go away. It's going to grow large and ugly if the old guard doesn't sharpen its pencils and comprehend that them thar days are possibly over and to try and enforce them now is going to create serious rips in the fabric of China's newfound economic growth. It's already full of holes as it's growing too fast, it's relied on western countries who have placed their industry offshore and it is polluted to kingdom come.

China needs to take stock of what it needs to keep and what it needs to throw out. Some things are good. Heritage is good, national pride is good, but oppression is bad. Surely they can manage to create the slipway to freedom without screwing up? Kim hasn't even begun to do this and he will be overcome by the forces operative in the 21st century. He is a nasty little dictator and he has no idea that it is morally reprehensible to kill thousands of people with atomic warfare simply because you have a complex the size of the Himalayas and you are paranoid and sulky and a boil on the arse of everything that is worth fighting for.

• Everything China does is for its own interests (something Trump is being pilloried for even suggesting...) - a ruthless NK dictator is better for them than the chaos that, going by other experiences in the world, might follow. I suppose the various Kims always know just how far they can push it. The assassinations and kidnappings won't worry the Chinese but NK's nuclear capability must make them nervous...

I'm sure I read a article that the Chinese have cut off N.Korea's oil supply or something. As said, if I find the link, I'll post it.

• Not getting the feeling that the Chinese people care what happens outside China, as long as they are OK themselves.

People only care about democracy if they are poor. Let them earn a few quid and enough of them will put up with a lack of freedom.

• I'm sure I read a article that the Chinese have cut off N.Korea's oil supply or something. As said, if I find the link, I'll post it.

Vaguely remember something about that, they have halted coal shipments too. Enough of a reminder for the current Kim I should think but as I say, the Chinese will prefer a ruthless dictator to total chaos.

• Not getting the feeling that the Chinese people care what happens outside China, as long as they are OK themselves.

People only care about democracy if they are poor. Let them earn a few quid and enough of them will put up with a lack of freedom.

One has to be careful that China doesn't get so big that everything that happens happens inside China! :D

• It's kind of odd that the Chinese think that a whole sea is theirs just because it has the word China in it. Perhaps they'll give Vietnam a new name soon....