Guns, Guns, Guns. America loves Guns.

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • An Obama-era regulation that tightened gun checks on mentally ill buyers has been blocked by the US Senate and could be signed into law by the White House.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38986147

Do Americans have to accept that their children could easily be shot and killed in school and this is just a "normal" risk of school life? Should Americans just accept that their inner cities will always be torn apart by gun wielding drugs gangs? And should Americans accept that if little Bobby Jnr finds his dad's gun and goes out playing cowboys and indians with his friends, that the consequences are inevitable...?

Will Americans ever shake off their addiction to guns?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I think as far as many Americans go, guns are part of their culture. Many people feel they need them as self defence which is true because if they banned guns, the criminals would keep theirs anyway. Our American relatives don't have one in the house ( He wants but one but she says 'No.' ) but the menfolk still go off to shooting ranges and fire deadly weapons at targets every so often.

It's that macho experience I expect, although to be honest, many here would be exactly the same if the opportunity arose.

• I been there a few times and it's obviously a different country, culture all that. It's a vast country and in many areas, people are very isolated, so I can understand them wanting guns. But in the middle of cities?? And what can you do with a machine gun, other than kill an awful lot of people very quickly?

• Trouble is I don't think many Americans have actually read what is written in the second amendment:

As passed by the Congress and preserved in the National Archives, with the rest of the original hand-written copy of the Bill of Rights prepared by scribe William Lambert, the amendment says:[32][A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Note: A well regulated Militia. Wiki

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• More than twenty people have been killed and at least 100 injured in a mass shooting at a Las Vegas concert.

A gunman opened fire from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Hotel toward an open-air music festival being held close by

When I created this thread, it wasn't my intention to post about every single gun incident in America here, but this topic seems a good enough place to stick this Las Vegas incident in.

We (in the UK), thank god, rarely get stories such as this. Hungerford probably being the worst gun incident in the UK, but for Americans this is a daily occurrence.

As I said in my OP, will Americans ever shake off their addiction to guns?

• This threads contains 171 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or log-in to continue reading.