Moors murderer Ian Brady dies

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • I feel sorry for the families that never got to know where the bodies were buried. Brady could've told them and didn't.

In his case I think a little torture would have been justified.

• True, Heero, valuation of one of these must be without doubt. Individuals like Brady are few and far between. He is a psychopath devoid of the faculty of empathy. He doesn't even do things out of greed. He is a cold fish, a high intellect cold fish and almost certainly also a narcissist by dint of his contempt for anyone who isn't like him. Myra was also his victim. He would have made sure of that, assessed her weaknesses and needs and then used her to effect his experiments.

• Agreed. This was a case where there was no doubt about guilt so the death penalty could have been applied without the chance of a miscarriage of justice. Not always the case though.

If not the death penalty, then he should've been allowed to kill himself.

He wanted to die from 1999 onwards and started the hunger strikes, so what was the response of the State? It was to force feed him with tubes stuck into him. Total madness.

I can understand the reason why he was force fed, as he was mentally ill, but perhaps someone should've called an accountant and said, hey he might live another 20 years (which he almost did) this would save money, a lot, if he were allowed to die.

If he were allowed to die, perhaps the thinking (quite rightly) is that this would've gone down a slippery slope and other mental patients who have committed serious crimes should also be allowed to die, perhaps even encouraged.... one step away from execution which is illegal and which the politicians have always resisted bringing back due to miscourages of justice.

I think there needs to be something in law which says if an act is so abhorrent, then rather than coming at it from a protection issue, the protecting being that of the perpetrator, it should come from a cold accountants spreadsheet instead. If the person wants to die, let them get on with it and it will save a load of money which can be better used elsewhere. But that would require a change in law which no politician will do for the reason I stated. It's starts off allowing someone to die, that then turns into encouraging it.

• True, Heero, valuation of one of these must be without doubt. Individuals like Brady are few and far between. He is a psychopath devoid of the faculty of empathy. He doesn't even do things out of greed. He is a cold fish, a high intellect cold fish and almost certainly also a narcissist by dint of his contempt for anyone who isn't like him. Myra was also his victim. He would have made sure of that, assessed her weaknesses and needs and then used her to effect his experiments.

Perhaps one day, medical science will be able to treat psychopaths, clearly there is something wrong in their genes somewhere and that should be identified and then eventually treated. But for now, what do we do with them?

• I agree that psychopathy proper is almost certainly a brain disorder, or brain defect, but whether or not it will be "curable" is a moot point.

We need to get control of our tendency to see everything in terms of our mostly religiously oriented view of "good" and "evil". It causes us to go in for platitudes that don't help dead people come back or victims wipe away the horrors of what psychopaths can do.

The death penalty for extreme acts can help to remove a burden on the tax payer and the chances of such an individual becoming a hero to copy-cat killers. Many learn from one another and because they know the easy route to public collapse in their favour is to play to their audience's secret and overt desires regarding their misdemeanours, they manage to survive. (This was quite a point of contention in South Africa at the trial of Oscar Pistorius, who insisted he mistakenly shot his girlfriend who had locked herself in the bathroom. He said he thought she was a burglar. Few legal minds believe him. But the schmaltz that was poured on the issue by Oscar's lawyers and the lack of concrete evidence because the victim was dead and couldn't say what really happened, meant he virtually got away with pumping four dumb-dumb bullets into a young woman who was hiding in the pitch dark behind a locked door.)

Brady actually wanted to be put in a prison because firstly, he didn't see himself as mentally ill and secondly, I suspect he wanted to experience what it might be like to be torn apart by other criminals who thought what he did was reprehensible. I suppose the ultimate thrill for someone like Bardy might have been to be killed by someone like himself. A chance to pit his own contempt against the contempt of another, and if he lost, he could ironically notch it up as another experience, more "existentialism" for his cold fish gallery of experiences.

If he had been used for psychological and physiological study then his continued existence might have been worth something in that his thoughts could be collected and evaluated, but psychopaths play to the gallery and so much of what anyone might get out of them could simply be calculated to achieve various effects and become a source of amusement to the subject of society's revulsion.

It's important to see the extremist kind of psychopath as a thought machine rather than a human being and a soulless human rather than a poor, deranged unfortunate. They are well aware of their abilities and they are also well aware of our tendency to want to cure them. They have no interest in changing. They are cold fish. They revel in who and what they are and they delight in the torment of those who have what they do not possess. Cruelty often forms part of their killing methods because torture makes their victims beg and begging fascinates them as they feel no identification with their victims.

Society should perhaps ask itself if they are worth the tax payers' funds spent on merely keeping them alive.

• I feel sorry for the families that never got to know where the bodies were buried. Brady could've told them and didn't.

Just read an article that suggests otherwise. Supposedly he did lead police to one body and was in the general area of another. Unfortunately with so much media attention, which he seemed to enjoy, no one was keen to allow too many visits to the Moors.

• Moors Murderer Ian Brady's remains must be disposed of with "no music and no ceremony", a a High Court judge has ruled.

Two local authorities asked the judge for the ruling so the serial killer's body can be "lawfully and decently disposed of without further delay".

Five months after his death, this person still makes the headlines.

What is wrong with this country?

Presumably, the solicitor charged with dealing with his remains, doesn't get much money for dealing with them, so couldn't be bothered and the matter has now been taken away from them. For goodness sake, flush his remains down the loo or chuck them in the bin. At least there won't be a funeral.

• The ashes of Moors Murderer Ian Brady have been disposed of at sea in the middle of the night after a cremation last week, it has been revealed.

The child killer, who died in May aged 79, was cremated without ceremony.

It comes after a court ruling to ensure the disposal of his body did not cause "offence and distress" to his victims' families.

There is a sick irony that with alleged paedophiles like Kevin Spacey and the Westminster sex scandal, this story pops up in the middle of it all.

NOW it's all over. Good riddance him. But as I said before, his ashes should've just been flushed down the toilet. Who has had to pay for this "ceremony" at sea?

• I find his burial weird. It certainly was a ceremonial sort of thing. Psychopaths have an odd allure to some people. I think humans are attracted to individuals who are not afraid to kill. Some sort of skewed, ancient, need to pick leaders who are not afraid to die.

It's what gives some bank robbers a certain glamour and really gruesome murders a kind of fascination as they do what is against the laws of every culture and religion. They do it and are damned and don't care. Instead of being repelled a nd enraged by them, the mob often becomes fascinated by them. You can tell by all the ghastly films made about their antics.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!