Peacock

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • NBCUniversal today announced “Peacock” (www.peacocktv.com) as the name for its new streaming service.

Peacock is a nod to NBC’s iconic logo and NBCUniversal’s rich legacy of creating beloved films, TV series, characters and franchises that have been at the epicenter of pop culture and will continue to define the future of entertainment.

I'm assuming that the Comcast executives were out of the room when their NBCUniversal division came up with the name for the company's streamer, which presumably will launch globally at some point. I had thought that since Comcast took over Sky, there was a high chance that Sky would be name of the global streamer, but the Sky brand is now owned between Murdoch, Comcast and Disney, depending on the territory, so that's a no go, but peacock...8|:rolleyes: Me thinks this name will change at some point, before the streamer goes global.

No idea of UK launch date yet, but presumably Sky subscribers will get access to this streamer as part of their existing pay tv packages and it will be packed with loads of Universal's films ranging from Jaws to Jurassic Park and from franchises like Bourne to Back to the Future. Coupled with NBC shows like The Office (recently clawed back from Netflix), and others ranging from Cheers to House and Bates Motel to Downton Abbey. Yes, you read that right, Downton Abbey is not a ITV show, but made by NBCUniversal. This streamer will be a compelling product in what is becoming a crowded market.

It won't be all old stuff on the streamer though, as several new shows are planned including another reboot of Battlestar Galactica which NBCUniversal are hoping will take on Disney's Star Wars franchise, Warner/HBO's Game of Thrones franchise and ViacomCBS' Star Trek franchise. If you like sci-fi/fantasy shows, they'll all be on the streamers, but isn't new stories better than rehashing old ones? That said, a Lord of Rings tv show is to be made for Amazon Prime and Isaac Asimov's Foundation is being made into a tv series for Apple+, so if you have the dosh for all of them, the streamers will be the place to go to for the best stuff.

Peacock launches in America next April.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• As I understand it, NBCU are considering both an ad-free subscription option as well as the free of charge streamer. This seems sensible to me; I only hope that other streamers will follow this route, which should please most people.

Although (as I've said many times) I would not watch a streamer with unskippable commercials, I am concerned for all those people who cannot afford the subscriptions to all the good streamers. Giving people the choice is the right thing to do, and presumably provides more revenue for the streamers.

Black lives matter

• I think the ever increasing number of adverts on these programmes will be the death of them

I used to turn to Sky News for up to date news but whenever I switch it on these days I get adverts, there seem to be more adverts than news. I thought there were limits in the percentage of adverts allowed

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• Some people are content to watch the commercials, but they drive me up the wall! I haven't watched a scheduled channel with ads live for many years now. Everything I watch (even the news) is recorded or streamed. I don't use DVDs or tapes anymore, either.

Black lives matter

• As I understand it, NBCU are considering both an ad-free subscription option as well as the free of charge streamer. This seems sensible to me; I only hope that other streamers will follow this route, which should please most people.

Although (as I've said many times) I would not watch a streamer with unskippable commercials, I am concerned for all those people who cannot afford the subscriptions to all the good streamers. Giving people the choice is the right thing to do, and presumably provides more revenue for the streamers.

I agree that with all these streamers around now or about to be, it's good there is a choice of a free option, as long as it is free. But

I maybe wrong here OB, but even the ad option will have a lower cost monthly sub, or so I thought I'd read. I guess we'll see closer to the time of release.

The question is, will Sky get this?

• I agree that with all these streamers around now or about to be, it's good there is a choice of a free option, as long as it is free. But

I maybe wrong here OB, but even the ad option will have a lower cost monthly sub, or so I thought I'd read. I guess we'll see closer to the time of release.

The question is, will Sky get this?

Yes, I seem to recollect reading that they were toying with that idea as well.

I am sure I have also read that it will be free of charge to Sky subscribers (although, knowing Sky, it will be the advert infested version!)

Black lives matter

• Could be a good reason going to Sky if they throw in the "premium" version free of charge.

• Could be a good reason going to Sky if they throw in the "premium" version free of charge.

Agreed, but it is in the interests of the streamers to appear on as many platforms as possible, so I am sure they would not deny the service to Virgin Media.

As VM (and Liberty Global) have stated they are now content aggregators, I have no doubt that this service will also be available on VM.

I can't see Sky throwing in the premium version free of charge, but who knows? It would be out of character for them to do so!

Black lives matter

• That was under the Murdoch controlled Sky, now we have the Brian Roberts, Comcast cuddly version of Sky. This is the same company that forces crappy, old stbs down customers throats in the States... You may be right OB, but Comcast are giving Peacock to their cable customers in the States, so in theory Sky should get it too.

• NBCUniversal Unveils Peacock, A Free Premium Ad-Supported Streaming Service With Subscription Tier

Here's the key details:

• free ad supported service with 7.5k hours of content
    • $4.99 premium ad supported service with 15k hours of content with ad-free option for an additional $5
    • only 5 mins of ads per hour
    • Comcast pay tv and broadband customers get Peacock premium for free
    • no news about whether this is coming to Sky
    • Peacock is powered by Sky's Now TV tech and the Now TV tech team are now based in the States
    • exclusive streaming home of the Law & Order franchise and Chicago franchise
    • new shows including sci-fi drama Brave New World and a new Battlestar Galactica show
    • will feature on demand content as well as traditional new Peacock tv channels, including a Sky News channel, premier league channel and law and order channel
    • will feature news and sports as well as drama and comedies
    • will feature new international news channel from Sky and NBC News
    • will feature content from other broadcasters and studios including Lionsgate
    • Home screen features a live channel as standard
    • will have profiles, watchlists, playlists, continue watching last show features etc
    • can save clips of shows into playlists
    • will launch to Comcast customers on 15th April with full American launch in July and international launch from 2021 onwards

Having seen all the previews of the new streaming services to come, I have to say I think this one powered by Sky's Now Tv tech is by far the best.

• OLD BOY What did you think of yesterday's announcement?

It really does look quite good. I was interested to see the comprehensive nature of the programming, with news and sport included, and the fact that live TV channels are on there, too. But then again, Now TV has live TV channels, so this is perhaps is not too surprising. However, in future, I would expect the live material to be streamed, as it is on the BBC i-Player.

I think they have made the right decision to offer the three options - two levels of subscription and one free to use. I think that is the right thing to do - it is inclusive while preserving the preference that many of us have to watch without advertisements.

Yes, on the whole, I think this is very positive, and as long as I like what it has to offer in terms of original dramas, I am inclined to go for it. Pity we have to wait until 2021, though!

Black lives matter

• They were cagey on international launch dates, but I'd expect Now TV to automatically morph into Peacock at some point. As I said on my earlier post, the Now TV tech people are based in the States, so it should be relatively easy to merge the products, it's probably rights issues what's holding them back.

• They were cagey on international launch dates, but I'd expect Now TV to automatically morph into Peacock at some point. As I said on my earlier post, the Now TV tech people are based in the States, so it should be relatively easy to merge the products, it's probably rights issues what's holding them back.

I agree with that assessment. Hopefully, the Peacock UI will be a darn sight better than the Now TV one, which is getting rather dated now, with only two programmes displayed on each row in their Entertainment Pack,, making a browse through rather tiresome.

Black lives matter

• Horizon

Changed the title of the thread from “Peacock - NBCUniversal's streamer” to “Peacock”.
  • I think Peacock may have discovered something important here that has the potential to drive more traditional TV viewers towards its streamer.

They have found in their survey of triallists that there was huge support for NBC programming on Peacock, indicating that these types of live shows are likely to be attractive to those who have yet to make the shift to streaming.

Coupled with the fact that there is a free ad-supported subscription option available, Peacock has the potential to be a game-changer, I think. This is bound to make the streamers think harder about the type of content they make available to subscribers.

https://advanced-television.co…s-gravitate-to-free-tier/

[EXTRACT]

"Current NBC shows are the biggest draw. Just over half (51 per cent) of total respondents said they were most interested in accessing and viewing currently airing NBCU shows on Peacock. This could be attributed to the prevalence of cord-cutting, whereby many consumers have dropped traditional Cable/Telco/DTH services and don’t have access to live broadcast content."

Black lives matter

• Obviously, NBC shows will be popular as they form the bulk of the service and if you take the various Law & Order series' as but one example, the quantity of content available is vast.

What I find interesting is how they're going about adverts, in that there will only be 5 mins of ads per hour on the cheap and free tiers. That's very interesting, because it gives everyone the chance to either pay nothing and have less content with 5mins of ads, or gain access to the full premium service but only pay $5 and only get the 5 mins of ads with that too. Why bother paying for the ad free top tier, when its only 5 mins of ads to tolerate on the middle premium tier?

• Obviously, NBC shows will be popular as they form the bulk of the service and if you take the various Law & Order series' as but one example, the quantity of content available is vast.

What I find interesting is how they're going about adverts, in that there will only be 5 mins of ads per hour on the cheap and free tiers. That's very interesting, because it gives everyone the chance to either pay nothing and have less content with 5mins of ads, or gain access to the full premium service but only pay $5 and only get the 5 mins of ads with that too. Why bother paying for the ad free top tier, when its only 5 mins of ads to tolerate on the middle premium tier?

I don't watch adverts on principle, Horizon!

I know that many don't mind, and I think some actually prefer the commercials to the programmes. However, I would not waste my time on them - I would pay the subscription or not watch at all.

Black lives matter

• I don't like them either OB, but at 5 mins (or under) of them, it's a very good option and I hope we get the same choice as and when the service launches here.

• Some people are content to watch the commercials, but they drive me up the wall! I haven't watched a scheduled channel with ads live for many years now. Everything I watch (even the news) is recorded or streamed. I don't use DVDs or tapes anymore, either.

Pretty much the only real time TV (ie: watching programmes as they are broadcast) that we watch now is news, arts, movies and sport. We restrict our little girl to the minimum amount of TV and even then we steer her towards more educational programming rather than letting her watch programmes that are nothing more than barely concealed adverts for such and such a product.

There is always the risk of allowing children to be exposed to programmes that treat them as a consumer, and I don't need to point out the problems that stem from that.

Something like Peacock would probably get a great big miss from us. Which is pretty much what happens to 90% of the channels that we already have available. There is only so much television a family can watch.

There's nothing wrong with choice, per se, but the number of channels is approaching saturation point and sooner or later the dam will burst. Some companies will rise to the top and some will go under. As long as we can pick out a decent film, see some dance or music, get the news and watch the Olympics, rugby, football, netball and winter sport ........ we're happy with that.