Are travel agents a thing of the past?

Please treat other members in a friendly and respectful manner: Our Community Guidelines.

• Thomas Cook asks government for bailout in funding race

Thomas Cook has approached the government in a bid to plug the gap in funding it needs to satisfy lenders.

The travel company could fall into administration this weekend unless it finds £200m in extra funds needed to secure its future.

Banks, including RBS and Lloyds, insist the firm comes up with the new contingency funds in case it needs extra money during the winter months

I can't imagine that the government will bail out Thomas Cook, a travel agency, so it looks like this firm will collapse in the next day or so. Anyone ever used them?

With the use of direct bookings over the internet, is is simply the case that travel agents are now past their used by date?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I can't imagine that the government will bail out Thomas Cook, a travel agency

They're asking for £200m. That has to be compared to the (estimated) £600m that it might cost the government to return all the customers to the UK.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• But we know it won't stop at that £200m. If their business is essentially at the end of its life, it should be left to die off, but £200m is cheaper than £600m, true. New bookings should be blocked immediately, everyone should be brought back and the company made insolvent as quick as possible.

• My neighbour has just booked a trip to Australia through a travel agent

His son is furious, he cod have booked the same flight on line £500 cheaper

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• Even before the internet, back in the late 70's or early 80's, you could book cheap flights and check various guidebooks for hotels in different price categories travel guides and send a fax confirmation.

Most of Thomas Cook's customers are more lazy, stupid or naive than poor, in search of the lowest price. As my grandmother used to say: "you get what you pay for". Yet eventually these sad saps will be brought home, to live stupidly and happily ever after, in pursuit of their next holiday bargain disappointment.

People need to be protected from themselves.

The fewer retail packaged holiday operators there are, the better.

• "Even before the internet, back in the late 70's or early 80's, you could book cheap flights and check various guidebooks for hotels in different price categories travel guides and send a fax confirmation."

You could book them on Teletext or Ceefax if you had the patience to wait for the right page to come round

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• "Even before the internet, back in the late 70's or early 80's, you could book cheap flights and check various guidebooks for hotels in different price categories travel guides and send a fax confirmation."

You could book them on Teletext or Ceefax if you had the patience to wait for the right page to come round

Patience? Moi?

• So shouldn't travel insurance cover eventualities like this or am I expecting too much, I know how reluctant most insurance companies are to actually pay out when someone tries to make a claim finding all manner of excuses to avoid it if possible, even though they are very quick to hike up the cost of premiums at the slightest excuse.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• So shouldn't travel insurance cover eventualities like this or am I expecting too much

AFAIK the ABTA agreement covers tourists who are actually on holiday at the moment. Those who have yet to leave are only covered if they booked using a credit card. Both of these only apply to package holidays. Flight only will be covered if booked using a credit card and over £100. This is from the credit card company.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• People who travel with companies like Thomas Cook do so because they are the cheap end of the market so would not want to pay out extra for all cover travel insurance

In any case, as Ron Manager points out the insurance companies would go to every length to avoid paying out

Some years back I was very poorly in Europe, hospitalised and uncertain if I would live. My travel insurance refused to pay out, making every excuse under the sun. They had a Polish doctor with limited English which didn't help

Once I started to recover we made our way back home, and then even tried to claim that I had discharged myself without their consent

On the humorous side I subsequently tried to insure with Saga who I thought might be more reliable. They refused to cover me because I was too old :rolleyes:

Must be unique to be too old for Saga

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• Thomas Cook collapses as last-ditch rescue talks fail

Thomas Cook has collapsed after last-minute negotiations aimed at saving the 178-year-old holiday firm failed.

The UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) said the tour operator had "ceased trading with immediate effect".

It has also triggered the biggest ever peacetime repatriation, aimed at bringing more than 150,000 British holidaymakers home.

Bad news for all the tourists stuck overseas.