Iran, nukes and terrorism

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Iran nuclear deal: Enriched uranium limit breached, IAEA confirms

Iran has breached the limit on its stockpile of enriched uranium set under a 2015 nuclear deal with world powers, the global watchdog has confirmed.

The International Atomic Energy Agency said its inspectors had verified the 300kg (660lb) cap had been exceeded.

Iran stepped up production of enriched uranium, which is used to make reactor fuel and potentially nuclear weapons, in response to reinstated US sanctions.

Things are certainly cranking up and this comes as the Americans deployed some of their top stealth jets to the region last week.

• Why is UK so weak and always follows USA?

I´m iranian and i dont understand how a country can be so weak like UK? Stealing our oil tanker because USA tells them so.

How much does UK want to provocate our country?

Edited once, last by Horizon: Title of thread added into message body in preparation for thread merge. (July 21, 2019 at 8:40 PM).

• Was Iran violating sanctions? The answer to that may help us form an opinion.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I think this is the biggest story the world is facing LW and perhaps the Hong Kong thing too, if the Chinese send in the troops.

I still don't agree with Trump on how he's gone about things. Iran's nuclear weapons program was being contained, but the flip side was and the reasoning for Trump's intervention, is the widespread chaos and death that the regime was causing across the region.

The Americans are slowly but surely moving their forces into the region and unlike Saddam Hussein, the Iranians won't just wait to be attacked, they'll strike first, in fact they already have if you take the tanker attacks into account.

• We're not under sanctions, so they have no legitimate reason to do so. More like one of our tankers will "accidentally" blow up in the Persian gulf.

Problem is, they're rapidly being backed into a corner, so it will either be fight or flight from them and I reckon they'll choose fight.

• Problem is, they're rapidly being backed into a corner, so it will either be fight or flight from them and I reckon they'll choose fight.

I suspect America will keep it's powder dry if all Iran engages in is threats or mischievous pinpricks.

If Iran ups the ante, so will America - but always with a proportional response - yet so effortlessly executed that it will give Iran much pause for thought on the ease by which the US can, if necessary, turn them into dust

As for Iran building nuclear weapons, I understand they are a long way off reaching that capability and their progress will undoubtedly be monitored.

I think much will depend whether Trump is re-elected. If he isn't, then Iran is going to be the scourge of the Middle East and a mounting threat to a US Democrat government who will be to Iran what Chamberlaine was to Germany, in which case Israel may well take matters into their own hands.

If he's re-elected I think Iran will gradually & grudgingly come to a live-and-let-live understanding with America. The Iranian "towel-on-heads" * are not entirely demented and at least their stubborn or fanatical thinking is transparent, whereas the Saudis, beneath their civilised and urbane facade, are bestially and strategically evil and playing a long game of Islamic hegemony

BTW: in my good cop/bad cop analogy, don't misunderstand. Like you I have a considerable liking and respect for John Bolton. He transcends media's simplistic labelling

* Do I really have to phrase it this way? What would happen if the slang censored word was used? Would the Thought Police be knocking on Horizon's door.

• I don't disagree with you about the Saudis, but I don't really view the Iranian regime as being any better.

Problem here is Israel. Trump has the massive Jewish lobby behind him and the Israelis love him and they hate Iran, which is not too surprising since Iran has been indirectly attacking the country since its creation. I don't think Israel would do anything without America's say so, but if Iran and Israel came into direct conflict with each other, this would almost certainly pull in American and probably us too.

I'm not sure American commanders will be restrained as you make out. They have standing orders that if they come under attacks, they have total discretion on how to respond, it only takes one little incident involving a Iranian patrol boat and America shop, for things to explode in the region.

• I'm not sure American commanders will be restrained as you make out. They have standing orders that if they come under attacks, they have total discretion on how to respond

Iran will end up in low earth orbit. But maybe as a demonstration it will rein in the other Muslim extremists?

• 1 I don't disagree with you about the Saudis, but I don't really view the Iranian regime as being any better.

2 Problem here is Israel. Trump has the massive Jewish lobby behind him and the Israelis love him and they hate Iran, which is not too surprising since Iran has been indirectly attacking the country since its creation. I don't think Israel would do anything without America's say so, but if Iran and Israel came into direct conflict with each other, this would almost certainly pull in American and probably us too.

3 I'm not sure American commanders will be restrained as you make out. They have standing orders that if they come under attacks, they have total discretion on how to respond, it only takes one little incident involving a Iranian patrol boat and America shop, for things to explode in the region.

1 You're probably right about both Saudi and Iran being as mad & bad as one another. I'm probably over-influenced by Iran's Persian legacy. But I still contend that at least with Iran what you see, ghastly though it may be, is what you get, while with Saudi it's all smiles and charm and flowing robes in the reception drawing room, while in the basement they're dismembering anyone they have taken a dislike to and will stick the bits in the incinerator.

2 Bear in mind that what I'm talking about here is if the Democrats win the next US election and take an appeasing position towards Iran's sabre rattling and potshots at this n' that - and if Iran has come close enough to a weapons grade nuclear build-up, then Israel might feel justified and compelled to "take the initiative".

3 I presume Heero's "low earth orbit" means reduced to dust. He and you could well be right. Depends how you define restraint. I'd like to believe when two countries are teetering on but not yet declaring war, that American commanders have been taught the importance of proportionality when demonstrating the strength of their defence response and the shape of things to come if Iran don't learn to behave themselves. To Trump's credit, he has made it clear that his door is open to Iran. This is the very opposite of Bush invading Iraq just to finish off his dad's work. .

• 1 You're probably right about both Saudi and Iran being as mad & bad as one another. I'm probably over-influenced by Iran's Persian legacy. But I still contend that at least with Iran what you see, ghastly though it may be, is what you get, while with Saudi it's all smiles and charm and flowing robes in the reception drawing room, while in the basement they're dismembering anyone they have taken a dislike to and will stick the bits in the incinerator.

True, but Iran still employs similar cloak and dagger methods as the Arabs.

They're proxies attack Israel on a almost daily basis, they are causing untold death and destruction in Syria and Yemen, not to mentioned their weapons and special forces were behind more British deaths in the Iraq war than anything else.

3 I presume Heero's "low earth orbit" means reduced to dust. He and you could well be right. Depends how you define restraint. I'd like to believe when two countries are teetering on but not yet declaring war, that American commanders have been taught the importance of proportionality when demonstrating the strength of their defence response and the shape of things to come if Iran don't learn to behave themselves. To Trump's credit, he has made it clear that his door is open to Iran. This is the very opposite of Bush invading Iraq just to finish off his dad's work. .

Agree, but the American commanders are told if someone shoots at them, they can shoot back with everything they've got. Trump would need to be very careful if were to countermand such policies in the aftermath of a Iranian attack on a American ship.

What I don't agree with in the event of any conflict between Iran and America, is the Americans would act proportionally. If the Americans get attacked, that's the end of the Iranian regime and Trump would lose all home grown support if he chose a different course of action in such an event.

• UK was following EU law , not US ,try harder Mr Troll.

Im not a troll. Im iranian and in Iran, UK are called pirates.

Is Iran member of EU? Is Syria member of EU?

No.

EU sanctions work not on non EU members. Why dont you stop the russian frighters going Syria? Too scared?

The way our country is treated reaches levels that are too much to accept. Why dont you try to treat us like human beings?

UK was following EU law , not US ,try harder Mr Troll.

• Iran has sanctions, and Iran was trying to bypass them. If they have a valid reason for doing what they did, then I am sure it will be taken into consideration.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!