Iran, nukes and terrorism

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • What was the point? The fact that is there is so little damage to the tanker makes me wonder if it was a set up Iranian job, purely to invoke direct conflict. I'll wait to hear the Saudi response.

I agree that the UK should stay out of it. If they want to, let them kill one another, but we don't want British forces to be sacrificed for the aggression in the ME.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I agree that the UK should stay out of it. If they want to, let them kill one another, but we don't want British forces to be sacrificed for the aggression in the ME.

+1.

We've got burnt too many times trying to do good and at best making a bog of it.

Any way if the Saudi's get going then they'll need some more jets.

• +1.

We've got burnt too many times trying to do good and at best making a bog of it.

Saudis are bad fighters. Jets dont help you when your pilots are cowards.

• What was the point? The fact that is there is so little damage to the tanker makes me wonder if it was a set up Iranian job, purely to invoke direct conflict. I'll wait to hear the Saudi response.

Could be Fidget, but these two have been fighting each other indirectly via their various proxies for ages, so seem to want to avoid direct conflict, or at least until now they have. Perhaps that will change now.

+1.

^^

But seriously, any direct conflict and the Iranians would beat them in a second, that's assuming the West stays out of it.

• Iran already passed the nuclear treshold. We developed evrything needed to build a nuke. We enrich uranium and even up to Plutonium.

And i believe for Iran thats the best option. Chose the japan option. To be a nation capable to build a nuke but dont actually do it.

• Or Iran could just engage peacefully engage with the world and just use your vast oil supplies instead of having anything nuclear.

Burning oil of creating electricity is idiotic.

Nuclear power is more effective, creates no CO2 and is more stable. Beside that nuclear power is also needed for medical treatment. Where you think comes the stuff from used in x-ray machines and cancer treatment?

You also want that we treat cancer patients with our "vast oil supplies"?

The UK has 15 nuclear power plants. You have not a single plant burning oil to create electricity.

You too have vast amounts of oil. So tell me, if oil is good enough for us to create power, why is it not good enough for you?

I just read UK wants build 8 new nuclear power plants. Why dont you build oil power plants?

By "engaging peaceful with the world and have nothing nuclear" you mean Iran should be a poverty ridden 3rd world country without advanced energy production? I really would like to know.

• US and Iranian men released in 'prisoner swap'

A Chinese-American researcher convicted of spying in Iran is to be freed in an apparent exchange for the release of an Iranian scientist held by the US.

Xiyue Wang was arrested in Iran in 2016 for "collaborating with foreign governments".

Massoud Soleimani, a stem cell expert, was arrested at Chicago airport last year.

He was accused of attempting to export biological materials to Iran.

After all the tensions over the past year including the tanker seizures, could this move be a thawing of Western/Iranian relations?

• After all the tensions over the past year including the tanker seizures, could this move be a thawing of Western/Iranian relations?

I don't think that Iran will ever "thaw". like the N Koreans

• I don't think that Iran will ever "thaw". like the N Koreans

Start to treat us as equals and on eye level and we can have good relations. We react very strong, when we feel treated disrespectful. Get used to the fact that we are not your slaves.

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-50979463

This creature was also responsible for all those IED attacks on our troops in Iraq, so good riddance to him.

Iran's supreme leader is making lots of threats, but he knows that if he escheateds things further with America, that will spell the end of his rule and that of his regime, in the same way that Saddam was toppled.

Will he escalate?

• We'll have to wait and see! I know who I would put my money on, and it wouldn't be Iran. I think many of the countries surrounding Iran would combine forces with the USA to bring Iran into line. That's just speculation on my part though. I don't claim to be very knowledgeable on Middle East affairs.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Good riddance to another terrorist. Hope this is the start of more to come for others

What was he doing in Iraq other than plotting more attacks

• Indeed. Iraq is pretty much under Iran's control at the moment and I think this attack, in part, is part of a strategy to bring that to a end.

We'll have to wait and see! I know who I would put my money on, and it wouldn't be Iran. I think many of the countries surrounding Iran would combine forces with the USA to bring Iran into line. That's just speculation on my part though. I don't claim to be very knowledgeable on Middle East affairs.

Israel could be in the firing line here, but if the Iranians did attack Israel in a major way, then they'd be slitting their own throats, as Israel would respond with its nuclear weapons. This is the reason Iran uses terrorist groups, so everything is done via proxy.

• The Iranian regime is making predictable threatening noises about retaliation but we heard all this from Saddam Hussein and his so called formidable Republican Guard. First sign of an American soldier and they fled

• Trump isn't Obama or Bush. Trump may decide that it's time to stop terrorism where it starts. I see that other little homicidal person from North Korea is about to announce a great new mass murdering device soon. He never stops.

• the hate and ignorance spred here is amazing. Also the insults at my country, our people.

I love my country from all my heart. Nobody of you know anything about Iran. You chose hate and ignorance. You dont even want use the chance to learn or understand.

We will see what this will led too. Its clear that Iran will answer this. Its unfortunate it has to go like this. I always hoped that one day we would have peace. The hardliners here always called it naive. Now peace has become impossible.

• I thought the propaganda spokesman for the evil Iran regime would pop up to shout his head off about this welcome American action

He conveniently forgets that this man has for years caused death and destruction in the countries in the area, and finally got his just deserts

• the hate and ignorance spred here is amazing. Also the insults at my country, our people.

I love my country from all my heart. Nobody of you know anything about Iran. You chose hate and ignorance. You dont even want use the chance to learn or understand.

We will see what this will led too. Its clear that Iran will answer this. Its unfortunate it has to go like this. I always hoped that one day we would have peace. The hardliners here always called it naive. Now peace has become impossible.

The love of country applies to us Brits too. You have made many offensive remarks about the UK, so why complain when we criticise Iran. We are not criticising you personally, just your government, and if you look around this forum you will see we criticise our own government even more!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!