Another parent goes to the High Court following a disagreement with doctors over their child's care

Please treat other members in a friendly and respectful manner: Our Community Guidelines.

• A terrible situation and one that doesn't always involved children either. When should life end can be applied in various situations including those with other diseases.

In this case, the parents have been told that there is a chance and new blood vessels might grow in her brain. Some hope is better than none, so if I were in their position, I reckon I would've done the same thing.

It should never involve the courts and the NHS should stop dictating to parents about their kid's care.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• A terrible situation and one that doesn't always involved children either. When should life end can be applied in various situations including those with other diseases.

In this case, the parents have been told that there is a chance and new blood vessels might grow in her brain. Some hope is better than none, so if I were in their position, I reckon I would've done the same thing.

It should never involve the courts and the NHS should stop dictating to parents about their kid's care.

I couldn't have put it better myself. Self-determination is the ultimate human right, and is the concern of nobody else on the planet; and in cases such as this, where the stricken one isn't yet able to act for themselves, the parent(s) should have sole dominance. By all means listen to and consider professional advice, and then decide whether or not to heed it.

There are none who do so much harm as those obsessed with doing good.

People are far more more likely to believe a lie if they want it to be the truth.

Do you ignore or challenge the advice that your doctor/consultant gives to you?

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• Do you ignore or challenge the advice that your doctor/consultant gives to you?

Whatever would make you think that? Of course I don't!

People are far more more likely to believe a lie if they want it to be the truth.

• Do you ignore or challenge the advice that your doctor/consultant gives to you?

If you think it's wrong, yes. And get a second and/or third onion.

In these cases, it's all to down to ego. The doctors can't do anything and another doctor from another country is moving their tanks onto what they perceive as their turf. It's not their turf, it's the parents.

• We have a term for this in our industry, it's "The not invented here" where incumbents are unwilling to assume that somebody else actually does it better or has greater knowledge.

If there's a chance of a treatment that is beneficial and there's no extra cost to the NHS why not?

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• We have a term for this in our industry, it's "The not invented here" where incumbents are unwilling to assume that somebody else actually does it better or has greater knowledge.

If there's a chance of a treatment that is beneficial and there's no extra cost to the NHS why not?

But that is the point, the longer this child lives the greater the cost to the NHS

Now everybody would like their desperately ill loved ones to live forever but if the medics conclude that there is no chance of prolonging life this is now being decided in the courts

The NHS does not have a free money tree

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• If there's a chance of a treatment that is beneficial and there's no extra cost to the NHS why not?

Exactly. There are some in the NHS, like in other services too, where they are rigid and cannot think beyond their own little fiefdom.

It's about control. Authoritarians are always control freaks, and the world of medicine is notorious for having individuals who like to 'play god'. I guess that after being in authority for so long, especially when so many (patients) hold them in awe, the 'god complex' is bound to set in?