Prince Harry launches legal action against the press

Please treat other members in a friendly and respectful manner: Our Community Guidelines.

• I wish they were a bit more like the Queen, ie. they should be seen but not heard.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• bryanluc I've edited your title of your thread to give a better idea of what the thread is about and as with all news stories, they belong in the news forum, so moved it too.

Here's the Beeb article on this too:

The Duke of Sussex has begun legal action against the owners of the Sun, the defunct News of the World, and the Daily Mirror, in relation to alleged phone-hacking.

Documents have been filed on behalf of Prince Harry over the alleged illegal interception of voicemail messages, Buckingham Palace has confirmed.

His wife Meghan this week began legal action against the Mail on Sunday.

I think Harry is making a mistake here. He had good reports from the press over his trip, yet his legal action against the MoS was already in the works and now this legal action over alleged hacking.

If he wanted the press to leave him alone, he can forget that now. They'll be out for him.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they are still doing the phone hacking, they may have martyred a few like Cameron's buddy Rebecca what's-her-face as well as him rubbishing that waste of public money Leveson report and since the media have all the right friends in the right places being paid the right money it will no doubt be brushed under the carpet yet again. :rolleyes:

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• Thanks

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• The details of his action are not yet known but theirs is speculation that it is about an historical phone hacking

Surely the press can't still be at it today after Leveson

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• If you remember Cameron literally dismissed the Leveson enquiry as if it was a load of nonsense, probably due to him being close friends with some of those working in the media, he was either in their pockets and/or they had some dirt on him.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• IIRC at the time there were over 30 prosecutions of journalists and only one conviction that was quashed on appeal.

Most of the time the "hacking" was simply the result of carelessness on behalf of the user.

We must also remember that many of these prosecutions, by the likes of Hacked Off were by the rich and powerful who didn't want people to know how corrupt they were/are.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• I remember the enquiry where the proceedings were quite ferocious, almost as hypnotic as a movie

Especially Piers Morgan who they tore apart. Interesting that he is now a fierce critic of Harry, I wonder why

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• The details of his action are not yet known but theirs is speculation that it is about an historical phone hacking

Surely the press can't still be at it today after Leveson

One of his targets is the News of the World and as that hasn't existed since the original hacking scandal, I think its safe to assume his lawsuit is related to that.

Why has he brought this up now?

If you remember Cameron literally dismissed the Leveson enquiry as if it was a load of nonsense, probably due to him being close friends with some of those working in the media, he was either in their pockets and/or they had some dirt on him.

And some of his Cabinet had close links and even worked for Murdoch at one time.

There was a funny moment several years ago which the cameras captured showing Jeremy Hunt about to go into one of Murdoch's parties. On seeing the tv cameras, Hunt hid behind a tree, but it was too late, they'd already spotted him!^^

Most of the time the "hacking" was simply the result of carelessness on behalf of the user.

Indeed. The inquiry found that most of those who had been hacked had left all their security settings on the default one, so all a hacker needed to do was key in 1234, 9999, 0000 and they were in.

Very interesting inquiry for all the tricks that were revealed. One of the revelations was one of the ways on how the journalists got hold of telephone numbers of people. Simple, they walked into a library and got all the old phonebooks and got the numbers out of them before people went ex-directory.

I remember the enquiry where the proceedings were quite ferocious, almost as hypnotic as a movie

Especially Piers Morgan who they tore apart. Interesting that he is now a fierce critic of Harry, I wonder why

Morgan's article in the Mail the other day was meant to be complmentary and in many respects it still was, but as for the past, Morgan knew what Harry got up to (like all his orgies) so had little respect for him.

• I think that stems from the days when senior politicians courted the press as their support was thought vital to whoever was in power

I remember Wilson cosying up to Cecil King and Maxwell. Blair and Murdoch. I don't think Mrs T did, she was always at war with them. Cameron and Osborn again with Murdoch, May not with the first Mail editor but certainly with his successor

I think however that will greatly reduced circulation such press influence is now a thing of the past, much more likely to be social media now

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• Reduced, I agree, but millions still read the papers and there's always newcomers like the Russian oligarchs wanting to own newspapers.

• "The biggest year-on-year decline was reported by the Sunday People and Daily Star Sunday at 18 per cent. The Sun remains the best-selling national newspaper with a circulation of 1.26m, only 100,000 copies above nearest rival the Daily Mail. The free Metro has the largest circulation of any UK newspaper at 1.42m".

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• Indeed. The inquiry found that most of those who had been hacked had left all their security settings on the default one, so all a hacker needed to do was key in 1234, 9999, 0000 and they were in.

Maybe so, but just because you can do somthing doesn't mean you should. ;)

• It appears that this is nothing to do with phone hacking

It is all about a handwritten letter that Megan wrote to her father when he was moaning all over the press. He kept the content of the letter confidential but someone in her circle of friends or relatives leaked the contents in the States

If this is correct I fail to see how Harry's action can succeed if this letter was in the public domain

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• If this is correct I fail to see how Harry's action can succeed if this letter was in the public domain

It does seem to be an ill-conceived action that could backfire spectacularly. Alienating the popular press rarely ends up well.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• It appears that this is nothing to do with phone hacking

It is all about a handwritten letter that Megan wrote to her father when he was moaning all over the press. He kept the content of the letter confidential but someone in her circle of friends or relatives leaked the contents in the States

If this is correct I fail to see how Harry's action can succeed if this letter was in the public domain

Indeed, but that is only one lawsuit. It has now come to light, that they're launching legal action over phone hacking too. So, that's three companies they're suing in total - at the moment.

It does seem to be an ill-conceived action that could backfire spectacularly. Alienating the popular press rarely ends up well.

Yep and so odd after they got such good press of their trip.

• Yes, he's looking incredibly scruffy. But what is worse is this mad idea of emotionalism in public. We don't do that. The fact that we do now is the result of Americanisation of our national golden rule not to wobble when the chips are down.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• Yes, he's looking incredibly scruffy.

Most beards and particularly "designer" stubble just look very scruffy particularly if ginger. Ed Sheran take note.:P

BTW Archie is also ginger, apparently. That DNA surfaces again.^^

4312-gwban-gif

• I feel sorry for Archie. I hope he can overcome his origins and live somewhere else some day. He didn't ask to be plunged into the Windsor firm. Hopefully, he will have find the courage to be himself some day and leave.

• Many of the historical royals were gingers though. Elizabeth I being the most famous. Wasn't Henry VIII and his son gingers too??

• Being ginger is the least of one's problems in the face of a future where royals will be increasingly shunned in favour of free nation states. Archie will need to find something he's good at and do that to the best of his ability, avoiding all the bullshit that might be heaped on him by everyone else. He doesn't owe anyone a brass farthing. He needs to free himself of the grip of Windsor as soon as he can.

• Many of the historical royals were gingers though. Elizabeth I being the most famous. Wasn't Henry VIII and his son gingers too??

The current lot aren't directly related:

The dynasty is originally of German paternal descent and was a branch of the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, itself derived from the House of Wettin, which succeeded the House of Hanover to the British monarchy

They changed the name to Winsor during WW1 because of anti-German sentiments in the country.

4312-gwban-gif

• Most beards and particularly "designer" stubble just look very scruffy particularly if ginger. Ed Sheran take note.:P

BTW Archie is also ginger, apparently. That DNA surfaces again.^^

The "scruffy look" seems to be in vogue. Sheeran and Johnson for example

I think we have all started down that road, I always used to polish my shoes daily and I can't remember when I last wore a tie

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• I'd only be vaguely interested in a monarchy that looked like me and my forebears. Said regents would need to be chosen from prime stock after England was made independent. :evil:

• Why is Harry suddenly acting like a big girl's blouse?

I think he's always been a loose cannon, but it's more obvious since he married Meghan. I know he's done some good things, such as the Invictus games, but that was only possible due to his privileged position. Maybe the Supreme Court would like to consider whether he set up the Invictus games for the 'right' reasons, or the 'wrong' reasons (please excuse my sarcasm).

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I preferred him when he was a loose cannon. This new, blubbery, emotional bullshit is nauseating.