Harry Dunn death

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • This is the 16 year old who was killed by a car driven by an American women who then fled back to the States claiming diplomatic immunity

His parents have pursued a vigorous campaign on out TV,and including flying to the USA to meet Donald Trump who had arranged for the woman in question to be in an adjoining room to meet them which they refused. They want the woman extradited back to the UK to face justice

Now whilst I can understand their grief and anger I do wonder where all this will get them, It must be very draining psychologically and financially to what end, nothing will bring their son back and I cannot see the USA agreeing to send the woman back

They have sought support from our Foreign Sec and now met the Home Sec

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan…nshire-50882657

Compare this to a couple local to me who's son was born with cerebral palsy and lived a fairly decent life but tragically just died suddenly as a teenager. The did not seek to blame anyone or look for some sort of revenge, they channelled their energy into making and selling wooden reindeers through which they have now raised over £40.000 for the local childrens hospice

https://www.chsw.org.uk/news/record-ye…harity-reindeer

• There is negligence on the part of the diplo woman. It is not an accident in such a case of negligence. BUT FOR... her actions driving said car the lad would be alive. If lightning struck her car sending her in the path of the lad that would be an accident.

I agree that nothing will be gained by seeking the proverbial "pound of flesh".

• I agree that nothing will be gained by seeking the proverbial "pound of flesh".

On the other hand, if foreign diplomats/agents/whatever (and their entire family) are allowed to break UK law with impunity, it sends the wrong message to foreign diplomats that they can be as negligent to UK citizens as they wish. They should respect our laws while in the UK. She broke the law and it wasn't a minor offence. She killed an innocent lad through her carelessness.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• On the other hand, if foreign diplomats/agents/whatever (and their entire family) are allowed to break UK law with impunity, it sends the wrong message to foreign diplomats that they can be as negligent to UK citizens as they wish. They should respect our laws while in the UK. She broke the law and it wasn't a minor offence. She killed an innocent lad through her carelessness.

There are the international agreements, if one of ours does something similar they could be whisked back here

• On the other hand, if foreign diplomats/agents/whatever (and their entire family) are allowed to break UK law with impunity, it sends the wrong message to foreign diplomats that they can be as negligent to UK citizens as they wish. They should respect our laws while in the UK. She broke the law and it wasn't a minor offence. She killed an innocent lad through her carelessness.

I agree. I take account of your comments. Given the current situation legally the obvious result is the diplo woman has killed with impunity. The law, conventions, must be changed. For example could a diplomat collect £500 thousand to shoot Boris then go home and carry on weeding his garden? I make a serious point because if the answer is no then the diplo woman and future similar incidents must not be allowed.

• My view is this, she should return to the UK. The 'sentence' is likely to be very light, ie. a slap on the hand and a suspended sentence (which would keep her out of the UK for a while, which can only be good for both sides).

That way, justice is served at very little cost to the perpetrator and goes some way towards preventing future occurrences.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• My view is this, she should return to the UK. The 'sentence' is likely to be very light, ie. a slap on the hand and a suspended sentence (which would keep her out of the UK for a while, which can only be good for both sides).

That way, justice is served at very little cost to the perpetrator and goes some way towards preventing future occurrences.

She deems it was an accident and faces 12years in prison. She feels her "accident" is outside of serious negligence.. Negligence has a fault factor.

I once, when driving, leaned over to wipe dirt off a CD and put it in the player... It took 2 seconds.. I crossed the center line and was about 1 inch from hitting an oncoming car. I know loads of people who have messed about putting a CD on when driving. This is negligence... Driving without due care and attention.. It is not an accident, legally speaking, if you hit another vehicle or pedestrian. This is why i always put my phone in the boot of my car.

• She deems it was an accident and faces 12years in prison.

In theory 14 years, yes. In practice, no chance, unless the UK judiciary wish to make an example of her. Even those maniac drivers who refuse to stop for the police and go on to commit every offence in the book rarely get sentences.

• I agree. I take account of your comments. Given the current situation legally the obvious result is the diplo woman has killed with impunity. The law, conventions, must be changed. For example could a diplomat collect £500 thousand to shoot Boris then go home and carry on weeding his garden? I make a serious point because if the answer is no then the diplo woman and future similar incidents must not be allowed.

Such is the risk of bad apples in the system

Recently an Arab journalist was murdered seemingly on the instructions of the Saudis, it happened in their Embassy. Where are the murderers, safely behind the immunity shield

It would take international agreement to change things, no chance

• What about that guy who "allegedly" blew up the passenger plane over Scotland? They got him.

Only as part of a "let Libya and the UK be pals" deal

Bit like we were suddenly pals with Adams and the other one to get the Peace Process done

• I thought we already had a thread about this and I find it, I'll merge this into it, but I find the whole attitude of the yanks stinks.

Basically, they're saying "we're the superpower and we can do what we want" even if that means killing our own people. Aren't the American bases here to protect us, not kill us?

• I thought we already had a thread about this and I find it, I'll merge this into it, but I find the whole attitude of the yanks stinks.

Basically, they're saying "we're the superpower and we can do what we want" even if that means killing our own people. Aren't the American bases here to protect us, not kill us?

I searched but couldn't find any

There may well be a trade off, Trump will send her back in return for some trade deal - the rumoured NHS perhaps

• Boris had better not do that!

The Americans can't be allowed to just to kill our people and get away with it and then have this a trade negotiation tactic.:cursing:

Twas a similar trade off between the UK and Libya over the blamed PAN AM bomber, diplomatic relations and immunity can be waived if it suits

• "The Americans can't be allowed to just to kill our people and get away with it and then have this a trade negotiation tactic.:cursing:"

Trade is not the topic... can we keep this on topic. Ooops!!!!

• There is no chance of this woman ever returning to the UK

How do these parents get so much air time? They are beginning to remind me of the McCanns

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!