Angela Merkel says Europe can no longer rely on US or UK

• Angela Merkel, the German Chancellor, has indicated Europe can no longer completely rely on its American and British allies in the wake of Brexit and the election of US President Donald Trump, declaring the continent's destiny is in "our own hands".
    Her extraordinary comments followed meetings of European leaders with Mr Trump at Nato and the G7.

Mrs Merkel, speaking at an election campaign event in a Bavarian beer tent, said it had served as a wake-up call.
    She said: "The times in which we can fully count on others are somewhat over, as I have experienced in the past few days.
    "And so, all I can say is that we Europeans must really take our destiny into our own hands."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new…er-rely-us-uk-must-fight/

It seems a long time since Obama said the UK would be at the back of the queue if it came to Brexit but with Donald complaining about the Germans, the Europeans making fewer uncooperative and threatening noises about us and Theresa May seemingly determined to keep on good terms with everybody, we could be in a good position here with both of them courting our good will.

• It could go the other way though Morgan and we get left out in the cold by both.

I'm surprised, Morgan, you didn't pick up on the continent's destiny is in "our own hands" remark aka German hands, not European.

Brexit is, in effect, handing Europe to Germany on a plate.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• The EU has almost been run solely for the benefit of the Germans since it started, if the stay in vote had won the UK would have been expected to integrate even more into the system probably having to adopt the Euro currency would have been part of any future deals for staying in.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• It it only started to become dominated by the Germans since the Berlin Wall came down and people celebrated that Europe would be the means to integrate a united Germany into Europe. As Margaret Thatcher once noted it would "not tie a united Germany to Europe but tie Europe to Germany"

The difference is after two world wars the people of Europe have chosen their path, at least for now. I'm glad we're coming out of it - allegedly....

• ...good point!:) I kinda missed that.

The last time I was in a German beer tent, well it was wine tasting actually, the Germans got drunk and smashed the local town up. All the shop windows, phone boxes etc all with the police standing there. I got out, quick.

• I have an image of her quaffing beer from a stein while dressed in lederhosen. :D

Post it here. Use the upload attachments button in the top right of the editor box (the box we're typing in) and choose full size image.

Lets see her in all her glory!

• Post it here. Use the upload attachments button in the top right of the editor box (the box we're typing in) and choose full size image.

Lets see her in all her glory!

My bad, it's an image in my mind rather than an actual image, it is quite scary that I even thought of it. :eek:

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• Have something alcoholic, it's not toooo early.... wash it out of your head!

I have lots of things on my mind, but Germans aren't one of them.:)

• Step forward field Marshall Merkel of the EU army , " our protectors want us to actually contribute towards defence !, we should do it ourselves inside the EU", this is just the opportunity the EU bigwigs are looking for.

• Except in the end, Nigel, it won't be Luxenbourg or Belgium doing the "protecting", but German forces marching everywhere.

Do you recall Merkel's solution to the boat migrants a few years ago? Send German troops and forces into other EU countries.

Despite their love fest with the EU, other countries especially Greece, baulked at that idea.

• Except in the end, Nigel, it won't be Luxenbourg or Belgium doing the "protecting", but German forces marching everywhere.

Do you recall Merkel's solution to the boat migrants a few years ago? Send German troops and forces into other EU countries.

Despite their love fest with the EU, other countries especially Greece, baulked at that idea.

A EU army suggestion is baulked at by our EU remainer fans but I have no doubt it will come , a treaty change will be delivered after Brexit is concluded , this being a convenient time to bring this in!

• Will be interesting to see if it ever materialises. If they don't spend 2% of their coffers on defence as part of NATO now, what's the chance that will change if a EU force is created?

• I think when it comes to the crunch and Germany has to get its chequebook out, the prospect of financing an EU army as well as the rest of the EU may be a less palatable meal.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in red it is moderation. Take note.

• I agree Heero, but it depends on Germany's intentions, if there are any, in regards to the future of Europe.

I've read via Google's translator, a lot of Germans newspapers over the last few years and from the German point of view, they say they don't want to be the leaders of Europe, in part, because of their history. Yet, the orders come from Berlin not Brussels.

They are absolutely resolute, at least according to the comments sections of various papers, the Germans don't want to keep bailing out various peoples and economies. So, I guess it's take your pick.

Do we go with what they say or what they do? Most people would not disagree that the euro is in effect the Deutsche Mark in all but name. It was a direct 1:1 conversion from the mark to the euro when the European currency was created. And this is the method that the Germans control everything, but as I said when Merkel spoke of sending German forces to Greek islands and others to deal with the boat migrants, the Greeks rightly baulked at that idea. They've had, like many European countries, experience of German troops in their country and it's not a experience they want to repeat.

I don't know how it'll play at. I think German taxpayers will tire of forking out for everything, especially if their economy goes pear shaped, but who knows. A bit like Trump complaining that other NATO countries don't contribute much, but that has also served the yanks, as they have always been top dogs.