Do you phone and drive?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • More than 200 drivers a day were caught using a mobile at the wheel immediately after tougher penalties for the offence came into effect, figures show.

UK police caught almost 6,000 drivers using their devices while driving in the four weeks after 1 March.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40079382
    ====

Seems like this is becoming the new drink driving. So many people are doing it that probably in the end tougher laws will need to come in to stop it.

Do you use your phone while driving?

• Certainly not. It's been proven by several organisations and the Mythbusters that it is easily as dangerous as being on the DUI limit. I think that the penalties should be similar i.e. Immediate 6 month ban, £1000 fine and I'd add professional wiping of said phone. The last probably being the most draconian. :D

• I use my phone occasionally when driving but it's just a matter of pressing a button on the steering wheel to answer it, not fumbling with the phone. If want to call someone, my contacts come up on a screen on the dashboard and I just scroll through and press the same button. My previous car was better though. If I wanted to make a call I just pressed a button on the wheel and said " Call -whoever."

What I never understand is why so many people drive with a phone clamped to their ear with one hand and steer with the other. A Bluetooth earpiece only costs a few pounds and a speaker can be bought for about a tenner.

The biggest problem with phones in cars in my opinion isn't so much the chatting, it's the clowns who try to text while driving.

• In my part of London we have a infamous trunk road where you get all sorts of things going on, including people texting at the wheel. Unfortunately, this road is heavily used by lorries as they go to a nearby port and you guessed it, they text while driving too. The Eastern European drivers are terrible for this and Essex police are always pulling them over.

• I avoid foreign trucks like the plague and get as far away as possible on motorways. One never knows how roadworthy they are.

• Mr Wing has been given a fine for using the phone while driving, or rather being caught doing it, so he's going to get a bluetooth thingummy to talk while driving. It was a business call and he couldn't avoid answering because it was an important one he was waiting for and it caught him just when a cop car was on the prowl. :whistling:

• They are a mixed bag. Some are great, friendly, helpful, etc. Others are corrupt. The old apartheid regime jobs were fooking hair raising. Thank the gods that is over.

As the opposition steps up its governance in various places, so does the whole public service industry improve. I think governments create a roll model and when the roll model is bad, so are its upholders.

• I was traveling up to Scotland with my old boss. On the fast lane of the M25 at about 90mph he was trying to pair his laptop with his new phone so he could collect his email. Started at the Dartford tunnel, I think he finally got it at the M11 and spent the next hour or so replying. Quite impressive when I think of it now.

Islamic terrorists have to go some to scare me more than a couple of hours in a car with him... This they don't understand.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!