• Should there be internet voting 2

1. Yes (2) 100%
    2. No (0) 0%
    3. Don't know (0) 0%
    4. Don't care (0) 0%

The BBC are running a story on this here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39955468
    ====

It seems several countries now have internet voting, but with the recent hack attack on the NHS which affected many other countries too, is internet voting a good idea?

What happens if you don't have the internet, will that mean in the future that you can't vote? I don't imagine there will be polling stations if this is brought in.

Another dimension to this beyond criminal hacking is that of malicious behaviour by another State, especially Russia. As may, may be the case in America, Putin interfered in the election there, he would have a field day if we had internet voting here. Just imagine it, Corbyn wants to get rid of nuclear weapons and all of a sudden, despite all the opinion polls, he gets a massive vote on election day. All thanks to a certain hacker...

I can see the benefits, but for something as crucial as voting, shouldn't we just get off our backsides still, go to the polling station, pick up that little pencil and make a mark on a bit of paper. It's not that hard, is it? Or, is is it?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I don't think there should be. In fact I don't think Blair should have changed the law about postal voting so anyone can do it. I think that, mainly in 'certain communities, ' the man of the house dominates and can have undue influence over others in the household.

Unless people have a valid reason, holiday, illness, disability, distance etc. they should attend the polling station to vote.

• Take your point Morgan, in ethnic areas, I am sure that is the case for some people, but that would apply to other things too such as internet banking and internet shopping. The "women" would be told what to do.

But you state the very reason why it could be such a good idea, if you are sick, disabled and elderly, it is easier to click a button than go to the polling station. And like with internet banking, shopping etc, many things are done on the net, why not voting?

I agree with you though about post voting, that can easily be abused. Who can tell from postal votes who has really cast the vote. Should be got rid of.

• No to this idea, if you can't be bothered to attend you don't vote , do we really want the government chosen by the xfactor method?

• That's a scary thought Nigel!

Just imagine it, Simon Cowell judging who wins with his smarmy, attention seeking ways and those idiots Ant and Dec (sounds like some kind of infestation) with their buffoonery presenting the results.

I guess it would liven things up a bit!:S

• Just imagine it, Simon Cowell judging who wins with his smarmy, attention seeking ways and those idiots Ant and Dec (sounds like some kind of infestation) with their buffoonery presenting the results.

Well I guess with the chance of voting for a load of clowns it's not too far from BGT.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

Red = Mod. Abide by it.

• Personally, I would welcome internet voting. One can do exams, tutorials, interviews and banking via the internet now so people are used to it and voting would be great. More people would vote because many can't get to the polling station. I think most things will be done online in the near future.

• Well I guess with the chance of voting for a load of clowns it's not too far from BGT.

Yes, it's quite a poor crop of politicians overall. Although, perhaps I'm just getting too cynical these days. Look how Blair turned out, although he was elected three times, but he always did enjoy being up on the stage.

• Personally, I would welcome internet voting. One can do exams, tutorials, interviews and banking via the internet now so people are used to it and voting would be great. More people would vote because many can't get to the polling station. I think most things will be done online in the near future.

It seems the way to go, but also open to potential abuse and hacking. I'm sure Putin would enjoy the chance of disrupting a election if it was all done by internet voting.

• Actually, I don't see how Putin could disrupt an election in another country by hacking. If you have proper security, you shouldn't have to be worried about the old Bear all the time. I think he's being used as an excuse a lot of the time.

• You already can confirm your eligibility to vote on-line for the electoral register. IIRC that uses a one-time code unique to yourself. For me the issue is not that the system can get hacked, but that oppressed minorities, such as (some) Muslim women would be told how to vote and their vote monitored by their husbands etc

At least in the privacy of a booth they might feel they can vote as their conscience tells them.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

Red = Mod. Abide by it.

• At least in the privacy of a booth they might feel they can vote as their conscience tells them.

But I don't think they would get to the booth in the first place.

You already can confirm your eligibility to vote on-line for the electoral register. IIRC that uses a one-time code unique to yourself.

Didn't know this, thanks Heero. Although, for me it would be the ultimate in laziness as I live close to a primary school that gets turned into a polling station for elections. I don't get out now much, so at least a two minute walk is better than nothing. (now where's that on-line voting form...;))

• I think the on-line confirmation is only if your details haven't changed. The code is on the form that they send you. Helps the council save postage.

I usually vote after getting my news paper first thing as the polling station is only a few hundred yards from our house. If it was on-line I think I'd still go and vote in person. Where it might be advantageous is remote places where the polling station could be several miles away.

4312-gwban-gif

Red = Mod. Abide by it.

• I am extremely uncomfortable about the idea, and also have reservation over postal voting too.

Before we do anything else, the first thing we need is to link all constituencies to one centralised database, so the concept of people being registered in more than one area becomes a non-issue. Why cant the entire electorate be on one electoral register? It makes no sense for the system to be the way it is now in this day and age.

• My only issue with that bks, would be one of security, in the same way that the ID cards database was centralised.

I think it is efficient to have it centralised and probably the way to go, but could also be a hacking target for Putin and/or the Chinese.

I will never use postal voting. I don't trust it.

• But for the disabled and elderly to use a postal vote, they still have to post that vote. If that can get to a post box, then likely they should be able to get to a local polling station too.

I think hacking would be a major issue and a golden opportunity for someone like Putin, but otherwise I'm all for it.

Who goes into a bank today..?

• No poll for this Horizon??

Yes I'm in favour. This could be the start of a better democracy although I'm increasingly beginning to wonder if humans can be trusted with that.

It can be started at a local level for council elections as a trial - to tackle hacking the best way is to ask the hackers, then set up a system and give a prize to the hackers that can get into it on condition that they work with you to improve the system afterwards. You can't remove the human element from any of this but until we get an AI looking after us we will have to put up with that whatever we do.

If it works it should mean referendums can be cheaper to hold and therefore more frequent. Maybe there should be some qualifying questions first though which you have to answer before they let you vote...!