What's Theresa May's Future?

• What will happen to Theresa May? 8

1. She will resign voluntarily. (1) 13%
    2. Boris or someone else will stand against her and force her out. (1) 13%
    3. She will carry on as PM to the end of the term. (0) 0%
    4. Some other option. Perhaps some Conservative MPs will have a "quiet word" with her and she'll resign after that. (3) 38%
    5. Don't know what will happen to her. (2) 25%
    6. Don't care. (1) 13%

After Theresa's May's disaster of a speech yesterday, what is the future for the prime minster? Do you reckon she might step down soon, or will she wait until she's pushed? Perhaps you think she might hang on. Vote now for the likely option. You can only select one choice on this vote.

I think she'll be silently shown the door and if she doesn't take it, she'll be shoved through it.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I don't know what will happen now. After her failure to show any strong leadership in her conference speech and get a grip, it seems more likely that she will go instead of just hanging around waiting to be humiliated further. She can't go on kidding herself that Johnson is ever going to support her. She should have sacked him.

I think the whole thing is going to descend into chaos with the Tories fighting like rats in a sack over the leadership contest and Labour demanding a general election.

A former chairman of the Conservative party has called for Theresa May to resign and revealed 30 MPs and "one or two" cabinet ministers agree.

Grant Shapps compared her premiership to the ailing end of Gordon Brown and John Major's, saying: "I don't think we're heading anywhere different."

Speculation has swirled over the Prime Minister's position following her calamity-ridden conference speech on Wednesday and this year's General Election result, where the party lost its overall majority.

Mr Shapps told Sky News that his list of discontented MPs existed "long before" the party met in Manchester and that Downing Street "pleaded" with him not to go public earlier.

But party whips forced his hand by briefing the media instead, the Welwyn MP claimed.

Source

One cabal revealed but how many more are also plotting?

Labour demanding a general election.

I think after all the promises were shown to be unaffordable falsehoods that Labour under Corbyn has passed its zenith for now.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in red it is moderation. Take note.

• But he increased Labour's share of the vote, Heero.

I honestly don't what I would do if we end up with Boris as PM. I would never vote for him in a election and I certainly wouldn't vote for the IRA supporting Corbyn either. What a mess.

When those election debates were on and Amber Rudd took on May's role, I was impressed with her. She had a dozen panellists all against her, but she stayed calm and held her own. And again at the conference, she was telling Boris and others to stand up to support May. Could she be a contender?

Former Tory Party chairman Grant Shapps has said he believes Theresa May should face a leadership election.

Mr Shapps told the BBC he had the backing of about 30 MPs, including five former cabinet ministers, adding: "I don't think we can go on like this."

Not sure where to post this, as there are a few threads on a similar theme, but decided on here.

So, it's started!

I didn't realise that when I created the poll that things would kick off so quickly! One way or another, she'll be gone before Christmas.

Listening to Michael Gove give his unwavering support to May this morning, made me almost choke with laughter on my cornflakes. Yes, Michael, of course you support her, it's not as if you have a history of sticking the knife in or anything, is it....?;)

• But he increased Labour's share of the vote, Heero.

And May increased the Tory vote. Both parties profited from the demise of the Libdems and UKIP.

Mrs May’s Tories took 42.2 per cent of the vote this time round, again a marked improvement on the previous two elections which saw and just 36.9 per cent in 2015 and 36.1 per cent in 2010.

Astonishingly, this was only slightly less than the 43.9 per cent achieved by Margaret Thatcher in the groundbreaking 1979 election when the Tories trounced Labour, gaining 63 seats as they raced to a total of 339 and a working majority of 43.

Source

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in red it is moderation. Take note.

• I know Heero, but you're arguing that Corbyn has passed his zenith, but the figures say the opposite. If his vote starts to fall off, then I'd agree.

• That nonsense at the tory conference with the joker handing the PM a fake P45 was probably the most interesting thing to happen at any party conference for quite a while, I simply don't watch any of them as listening to any politician speak for more than a minute or so is just boring.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• There was actually a lot of politics in the speech, Ron. I'm trying to catch up on it, as I had a trip to the hospital at the time of the speech, so missed it. I will try to create a post later, if I can cobble the details together, but stuff on housing,crime, health etc was all there.

If you want a less boring speech, try and find Boris', it was pretty good.

• I am utterly bemused by the hysteria over Mrs May's speech , i knew she was unwell so presumably the press did too! If she had cancelled she would of been weak in their eyes , she did the speech but a moron who somehow got to be in front of her and a faulty letter on the wall behind her are all seemingly her fault?

Does anyone with a brain and a memory of the strikes, power cuts and union barons in the 70's actually want this version of the Labour party in power to screw up the country?

• The thing is, Corbyn is saying what people want to hear. As I said somewhere here, even his message sounds attractive to me and no I wouldn't vote for him. Hell would freeze over before I ever voted for someone who supported the IRA.

May's speech is a metaphor of her problems, rather than being the problem itself. The actual problem is despite increasingly the share of the vote, May lost a Conservative majority. She was finished at that point and if you looked at her face on election night, she knew it too.

What a mess it is.... With Brexit and all the other things going on in the world, we need a strong government, not a weak PM, a buffoon on manoeuvres and whoever else might chip in to add to the chaos.

• I listened to his speech Nigel and he mentioned the Grenfell tower a lot, helping the vulnerable, big business paying tax etc. I liked it and I'm over 40, I would just like to know how Corbyn will pay for all he wants to do. Taxing Google and Starbucks into oblivion will take him only so far.

• Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.:(

I've just seen a recording of May's full speech on BBC Parliament. She was almost in tears as she walked off.

It was excruciating to watch. I can't really say what content was in the speech for two reasons, her voice was so distracting, it took you away from everything she was saying and, there was no content.

It was excruciating to watch, it really, really, was. You could argue that she was strong to get through it with a bad throat, or it could also be argued, that she should have walked off the stage for 10 minutes, had a hot lemon, then come back.

The worst part of the speech was after she got her P45 and that really accelerated her bad throat. All the cabinet were supportive of her, but as the speech went on you could see on their faces that the sympathy was turning to exasperation. Any support she may have had from some members of her cabinet, I believe has now completely vanished. In the conference room, some of the crowd looked angry after they got over the sympathy phase..

A Newsnight reporter said it was like all the air was sucked out the room. That's exactly what I felt by watching this speech and looking at everyone's reaction to it in the conference hall.

She'll be gone. I'm 100% certain of that now. You cannot have someone who smugly repeats during an election "Strong and stable leadership", then months later looks as weak as she possibly can. She's finished.

I feel sorry for her as a lady, and I feel sorry for all us, as she is our prime minister, but she's got to go.

Oh, and beyond the 2bn in housing, she said something about extra dosh going into the Help to Buy Scheme too, but I don't think she gave any details and what she did announce was too little anyway. Totally useless.

• I am utterly bemused by the hysteria over Mrs May's speech , i knew she was unwell so presumably the press did too! If she had cancelled she would of been weak in their eyes , she did the speech but a moron who somehow got to be in front of her and a faulty letter on the wall behind her are all seemingly her fault?

Does anyone with a brain and a memory of the strikes, power cuts and union barons in the 70's actually want this version of the Labour party in power to screw up the country?

Just coming back to this Nigel and while I agree with you, after all the nationalised industries got privatised in the 80s and 90s, they are meant to be private, but the thing that Corbyn focusses on, which does resonate, is they're not really private. Rail, energy companies et are all subsidised by the taxpayer.

The private companies are allowed all the profit, but like the rail companies, as soon as there is a problem, the risk and cost is transferred back to the State.

It's got to change. Corbyn's solution is not correct, but the current system doesn't work either.

• I don't know what will happen now. After her failure to show any strong leadership in her conference speech and get a grip, it seems more likely that she will go instead of just hanging around waiting to be humiliated further. She can't go on kidding herself that Johnson is ever going to support her. She should have sacked him.

I've haven't been around much over the last few weeks, so haven't been following the news closely, but this stems back to Boris' article in the Sun talking about the two week transition period only.

The reason he did that, according to some articles, is that Hammond was talking about a five, six year transitionall period aka no Brexit at all, and May was leaning towards that, so Boris, according to what I've read, felt he had no choice but to intervene.

I've no doubt he wants the top job, but perhaps if he felt his voice was being drowned out in cabinet and as foreign secretary he should have a major say on foreign issues, perhaps his motives were not entirely self-serving.

• Before there is disaster, they need to get someone in there who can drag it all back from the brink and take on Corbyn, gloves off and no smiling.

One more wobble and they will hand it to Labour on a plate.

• If you want a less boring speech, try and find Boris', it was pretty good.

I just find all politicians boring regardless of party or whatever, they start talking and I just glaze over after a minute or so, I could never sit through any of them giving a speech as they just seem to slip into tell them what they want to hear mode and I start to think it's all bullshit.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• Before there is disaster, they need to get someone in there who can drag it all back from the brink and take on Corbyn, gloves off and no smiling.

Yep. And all the papers have gone nuts on this subject, this morning. Where to start? I'll try and link to some stories in a minute.

• I listened to his speech Nigel and he mentioned the Grenfell tower a lot, helping the vulnerable, big business paying tax etc. I liked it and I'm over 40, I would just like to know how Corbyn will pay for all he wants to do. Taxing Google and Starbucks into oblivion will take him only so far.

Grenfell doesn't mean a lot to most living outside cities , a tragedy yes but is it worse than a plane crash? , the vulnerable?, who actually are they?, the feckless?, the useless?, the undeserving?, All genuinely disabled people I know are doing OK and seem happy enough . As for tax , nobody has closed the loopholes regardless of political persuasion , doing so will cost a huge amounts of jobs , even Corbyn must realise this .

Mrs May's manifesto was embarrassing, fox hunting vote and the dementia tax for heaven's sake!, who thought these gems would be popular, Labour should of been torn to shreds with the la la land script they were reading off daily.

Who wants the job?, i cannot think of anyone of substance who would want this poisonous chalice , May's problem is her aloofness , a trait most politicians have in spades , a real battler who can tear the Labour lunacy to shreds is ??

• Priti Patel has resigned as UK international development secretary amid controversy over her unauthorised meetings with Israeli officials.

She was ordered back from an official trip in Africa by the PM and summoned to Downing Street over the row.

In her resignation letter, Ms Patel said her actions "fell below the standards of transparency and openness that I have promoted and advocated".

After her unauthorised meetings in Israel, Priti Patel has gone. What did she think she was doing having meetings with Israeli officials without correct authorisation and with no knowledge of May.

I have no doubt Patel was sacked, was this the correct decision by May?

And then we have this other story about Boris:

Boris Johnson has said he is sorry if his remarks about a British-Iranian mother caused anxiety to her family.

The foreign secretary had been criticised for saying Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, who has been jailed in Iran, had been training journalists there.

A charity said the remarks could worsen her sentence. She had been in Iran on holiday when she was arrested, it said

I thought May's problems would all be Brexit related. Instead its sex pests, ministers going AWOL and doing their own thing and Boris and his big, stupid gob.

This government is starting to have a "John Major" feel about it.... Will it go the same way as Major's?

• A bit of analysis by Laura Kuenssberg on May's current problems:

It was precisely a week ago that I was summoned to the Ministry of Defence to ask Sir Michael Fallon why he was resigning.

Seven days on, for an unconnected reason, Theresa May has just lost another one of her ministers.

Kuenssberg is coming at this from a Brexit perspective. She's saying that May's cabinet is finely balanced between those ministers who want a loose relationship with the EU post Brexit and those minsters who want a tight one.

I'm not sure this is quite as important, as it once was. I think there maybe more Westminster sex scandals to come and maybe that is the key thing, not Brexit, that causes problems for May and her eventual downfall. Or, perhaps I am completely wrong about May and her future and perhaps she lasts the full term??

• She's toast now and the Israel debacle will possibly sink her before anything else does. In short, she's not an astute politician. If they don't do something relatively quickly, Corbyn will find the crown in his hands by default.

• I don't think there is any doubt that May is now in a lot of trouble. The EU have thrown their hat in the ring to add to her worries and there are press reports that they have refused to accept the proposals for EU citizens after Brexit and now they are threatening to force UK businesses to move to Europe.

I think she's going to have to go but it looks like it's going to be very messy for a long time yet.

• Conservative MPs warned before the conference season started, that if there were any more issues, any more mistakes made by May after Grenfell, that it would be the end for her as PM.

I think we're almost at that point now and her nail in the coffin will be if EU leaders do not agree to start discussing trade with us at the last EU conference in December.

• Justine Greening has resigned from the government after refusing a job as work and pensions secretary in Theresa May's cabinet reshuffle, the BBC understands.

BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg said the PM was "disappointed" the ex-education secretary had resigned.

Well, despite all the evidence to the contrary, we're into the new year and May is still PM and decided to do a reshuffle.

Not sure why Greening has resigned, she was offered the Work and Pensions brief, but all the main players are still with May including Boris...

Full list of cabinet reshuffle here.

• Theresa May attempted a reshuffle today, yet all she did was move the milk from one side of the fridge to the butter, but added some butter and cheese into the mix.What are your views on the reshuffle and did Justine Greening get sacked or did she really quit of her own accord?

On a side issue, very sad news about James Brokenshire, hope he recovers well.