What's Theresa May's Future?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Who will replace May? (assuming she goes) 3

1. Boris Johnson (2) 67%
    2. Jacob Reese-Mogg (1) 33%
    3. David Davis (0) 0%
    4. Michael Gove (0) 0%
    5. Sajid Javid (0) 0%
    6. Gavin Williamson (0) 0%
    7. Amber Rudd (0) 0%
    8. Angela Leadsom (remember her?...) (0) 0%
    9. Someone else. Please state (0) 0%

You can change your votes at any time and unlike my last poll (:rolleyes:) you can see how other members voted. Which will always be the norm on this site.:)

I think Reese-Mogg still might get it, despite Johnson being the favorite. So my vote goes to him.

• Very revealing Nigel Farage show this morning , he believes all the tough talk and no deal spiel is just being done to try and undermine Boris , i think he is spot on .May and co do not believe any of what they sre saying to the press and the EU knows it.

• I voted for Boris as he's not the idiot that some brand him as and he does say what he thinks (a bit like Trump) and that does chime with the voters who are fed up with career politicians who say things just to get elected and then do the complete opposite.

However I think Reese-mogg would be the "safe" candidate for most.

• Quite bizarre really, that the two main contenders are old etonians. What century are we in?

The reason I voted for JRM is that a lot of the conservative MPs, who will be the ones to decide this, not us, don't like Boris.

What about Davies? That earlier article I posted, suggested he was being lined up as replacement for May and he is generally liked by both wings of the conservative MPs.

• What about Davies? That earlier article I posted, suggested he was being lined up as replacement for May and he is generally liked by both wings of the conservative MPs.

As you say he's the party choice but does he engage with the electors?

Boris is more dangerous but as Trump has shown the electors might want a change. That of course is the danger from Corbyn.

• It's a good point, but on this occasion it doesn't matter. The conservative MPs don't have time to go for a full leadership contest which would involve the wider conservative party electorate. It it will be (if it happens) a closed door contest between two candidates only. So, in that sense it doesn't matter what the voters think of DD, only the MPs.

• Theresa May was facing a fresh threat to her leadership last night as senior Tories said the man who ran her election campaign is secretly masterminding a bid to destroy her Brexit plan and install Boris Johnson in Downing Street.

Sir Lynton Crosby — the election guru who helped Johnson win two London mayoral elections — has ordered his allies to work with hardline Brexiteers in the Commons to run a nationwide campaign against the prime minister’s Chequers plan. One of Crosby’s senior staff at his firm CTF Partners is in close contact with the European Research Group (ERG) of Brexit hardliners run by Jacob Rees-Mogg and a campaign that is seen as a front for Johnson’s leadership ambitions. MPs plan to publish an alternative to May’s plan before the Tory party conference with the backing of both Johnson and David Davis, who resigned from the cabinet over Chequers.

All very well them lining the tanks up against her, but they bloody well shouldn't have let her become PM in the first place!

What choice did we get in who was leader? By the time it came to the public vote, we had to accept who the Conservative Party had already decided was leader and that was May.

The article goes on to say that its a lot of ex-minsters like Steve Baker and Prti Patel who are working with the Aussie to bring about her downfall and install Boris into No10, but Gove is also on manoeuvres again and David Davis has said he will not support Boris for PM. Like groundhog day this....:cursing::thumbdown:

• Conservative MPs opposed to Theresa May's Brexit plan have met to discuss how and when they could force her to stand down as prime minister.

About 50 members of the European Research Group (ERG) openly discussed "how best you game the leadership election rules," a source said.

Eurosceptic MPs are to unveil what they say is a solution to the Irish border.

They may plot, but they have to do as well.

It's like a Shakespearean play that never ends.

• These somebody challengeing for the leadership stories are getting a bit old hat, seems to be a lot of noise made by certain people but when push comes to shove nothing actually happens, have any of them actually got the balls to stand up and be counted or are they all too happy to just keep rideing the gravy train?

• And that is why the talk of a leadership challenge is old hat as we always await the answer and then nothing happens.

It's all just smoke and mirrors to distract from the cock up that is Brexit which also has become a non event will that also get a repetition of the wait and see treatment.

• A challenge of leadership would severely handicap and possibly delay Brexit. I think the threat is just to try and make her abandon Chequers, and I hope they succeed.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Maybot's plan would still need to get through parliament even IF the EU go for it after it's been further watered down. Labour will vote it down because they want to defeat the government and provoke a GE. Brexiteers will vote it down because it stays in the EU in all but name. She doesn't have the numbers to pass it as far as I can see.

A defeat like that probably would cause her to resign.

• It’s horribly obvious that the European Research Group (Mogg, Davies etc) know they haven’t got the firing power/support to oust May and therefore their plans are irrelevant.

I know for a fact that a 2nd referendum will result in a vote to Remain just as is. This is because::

a) the Leavers now realise they can't leave because the EU is playing hard ball (in which ideology trumps reality)

b) Theresa May and her yes-men are unable or unwilling to negotiate to Leave with a soft-landing

c) the ERG (European Research Group - Mogg, Davies etc) dodge the difficult questions, revealing them to be men of straw

d) the ERG can't muster enough support from MP's to oust May and they therefore have to pretend that May is an admirable credible leader, which ends up reinforcing her position (which becomes a nightmare)

e) 650 MP's are incapable of agreeing among themselves what particular “Leave” deal to promote to the EU (this is the true downside of Democracy)

f) the public who voted in the first referendum to Leave now realise that to vote in that same way in the second referendum is to prolong the negotiations and indecision for an indefinite amount of time (it will be Groundhog Day, without the nice bits)

g) the public who voted in the first referendum to Remain will be reinforced in voting that way after witnessing the (deliberate?) incompetence of this Government and/or the opposition, to progress Leave to the finishing line

h) A second referendum is unworkable because while Remain is clearly defined (do nothing, just stay, status quo), by contrast, Leave is completely undefined because (1) MP’s cannot agree among themselves what the Leave deal should be, (2) even if they could agree what the deal should be, it is almost certain the EU will "analyse it to destruction", (3) MP’s can’t even agree among themselves what deal to propose that will be agreed by the EU to put into the second referendum to define Leave

i) Even if Government agreed among themselves and with the EU, what deal defines “Leave” to put into the second referendum , this Government would never agree that the second referendum result be binding. Instead the result would have to be ratified in the House of Commons (and probably the House of Lords) and, here is the worse part, the public now knows this, which means the turnout for the second referendum will be very low (a case of once bitten, twice shy).

j) Most of the public are unable or can’t be bothered to get to mental grips with the details of the Leave deal and, if they knew Leaving was going to be so impossibly complex, the previous referendum would have been overwhelmingly in favour of Remaining.

• It’s horribly obvious that the European Research Group (Mogg, Davies etc) know they haven’t got the firing power/support to oust May and therefore their plans are irrelevant.

But they have the numbers to stop the plan, if not the person.

I know for a fact that a 2nd referendum will result in a vote to Remain just as is

All the polling done suggests the opposite and in fact, a larger vote for leave.

Maybot's plan would still need to get through parliament even IF the EU go for it after it's been further watered down. Labour will vote it down because they want to defeat the government and provoke a GE. Brexiteers will vote it down because it stays in the EU in all but name. She doesn't have the numbers to pass it as far as I can see.

A defeat like that probably would cause her to resign

Agree that the numbers are against her for the Chequers proposals, but technically she doesn't have to quit if she loses the vote. She could just stay.

After all of last year saying she would be gone by last Autumn, I'm slightly more reluctant to predict her downfall this time around.

A challenge of leadership would severely handicap and possibly delay Brexit. I think the threat is just to try and make her abandon Chequers, and I hope they succeed.

So, do I, but I share your concerns about the possible delay in Brexit, especially as:

And that is why the talk of a leadership challenge is old hat as we always await the answer and then nothing happens.

It's all just smoke and mirrors to distract from the cock up that is Brexit which also has become a non event will that also get a repetition of the wait and see treatment.

I hope you're wrong on this, but share your concerns, we may stay in limbo for a long time if Brexit is messed up. I was especially suspicious when the two year implementation period got renamed to the transitional period.

Goal posts seem to keep moving, all in the direction of trying to keep us tethered to the EU in all but name. A revolt against May could be the very thing, as others have outlined, that guarantees that tether lasts forever.

• DOWNING Street last night dismissed claims the PM is preparing for a snap autumn election as “utter hogwash”.

Senior figures at Number 10 are said to have had “discussions” about campaign planning in the event Theresa May fails to clinch a Brexit deal — or get one through Parliament.

After the disastrous EU summit, I am sure change is in the air, but what would be the point of a new general election if May was still leader?

• After the disastrous EU summit, I am sure change is in the air, but what would be the point of a new general election if May was still leader?

You ask "what would be the point if May was still leader?"

It's simple: for her to cling to office, no matter what, even if her chance of survival is vanishingly thin. Her DNA is personal survival, which eclipses all other considerations.

This political horror story is best expressed as a political comic strip cartoon based on the film Alien: where the deadly creature, May. pops out of Cameron's body, proves impossible to kill and clings like a limpet to the spaceship of a mounting dead crew who can't find a way to get rid of it. The strip cartoon for Alien 2 would depict a new even deadlier indestructible creature popping out of Creature May's body, probably twin creatures Corbyn & McDonnel).

The Conservative Party's collective DNA can find no way to kill Creature May, let alone her Twin Creature in embryo.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!