What's Theresa May's Future?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Before there is disaster, they need to get someone in there who can drag it all back from the brink and take on Corbyn, gloves off and no smiling.

One more wobble and they will hand it to Labour on a plate.

Who wants the job?, i cannot think of anyone of substance who would want this poisonous chalice , May's problem is her aloofness , a trait most politicians have in spades , a real battler who can tear the Labour lunacy to shreds is ??

• Priti Patel has resigned as UK international development secretary amid controversy over her unauthorised meetings with Israeli officials.

She was ordered back from an official trip in Africa by the PM and summoned to Downing Street over the row.

In her resignation letter, Ms Patel said her actions "fell below the standards of transparency and openness that I have promoted and advocated".

After her unauthorised meetings in Israel, Priti Patel has gone. What did she think she was doing having meetings with Israeli officials without correct authorisation and with no knowledge of May.

I have no doubt Patel was sacked, was this the correct decision by May?

And then we have this other story about Boris:

Boris Johnson has said he is sorry if his remarks about a British-Iranian mother caused anxiety to her family.

The foreign secretary had been criticised for saying Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, who has been jailed in Iran, had been training journalists there.

A charity said the remarks could worsen her sentence. She had been in Iran on holiday when she was arrested, it said

I thought May's problems would all be Brexit related. Instead its sex pests, ministers going AWOL and doing their own thing and Boris and his big, stupid gob.

This government is starting to have a "John Major" feel about it.... Will it go the same way as Major's?

• A bit of analysis by Laura Kuenssberg on May's current problems:

It was precisely a week ago that I was summoned to the Ministry of Defence to ask Sir Michael Fallon why he was resigning.

Seven days on, for an unconnected reason, Theresa May has just lost another one of her ministers.

Kuenssberg is coming at this from a Brexit perspective. She's saying that May's cabinet is finely balanced between those ministers who want a loose relationship with the EU post Brexit and those minsters who want a tight one.

I'm not sure this is quite as important, as it once was. I think there maybe more Westminster sex scandals to come and maybe that is the key thing, not Brexit, that causes problems for May and her eventual downfall. Or, perhaps I am completely wrong about May and her future and perhaps she lasts the full term??

• She's toast now and the Israel debacle will possibly sink her before anything else does. In short, she's not an astute politician. If they don't do something relatively quickly, Corbyn will find the crown in his hands by default.

• I don't think there is any doubt that May is now in a lot of trouble. The EU have thrown their hat in the ring to add to her worries and there are press reports that they have refused to accept the proposals for EU citizens after Brexit and now they are threatening to force UK businesses to move to Europe.

I think she's going to have to go but it looks like it's going to be very messy for a long time yet.

• Conservative MPs warned before the conference season started, that if there were any more issues, any more mistakes made by May after Grenfell, that it would be the end for her as PM.

I think we're almost at that point now and her nail in the coffin will be if EU leaders do not agree to start discussing trade with us at the last EU conference in December.

• Justine Greening has resigned from the government after refusing a job as work and pensions secretary in Theresa May's cabinet reshuffle, the BBC understands.

BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg said the PM was "disappointed" the ex-education secretary had resigned.

Well, despite all the evidence to the contrary, we're into the new year and May is still PM and decided to do a reshuffle.

Not sure why Greening has resigned, she was offered the Work and Pensions brief, but all the main players are still with May including Boris...

Full list of cabinet reshuffle here.

• Theresa May attempted a reshuffle today, yet all she did was move the milk from one side of the fridge to the butter, but added some butter and cheese into the mix.What are your views on the reshuffle and did Justine Greening get sacked or did she really quit of her own accord?

On a side issue, very sad news about James Brokenshire, hope he recovers well.

• Theresa May attempted a reshuffle today, yet all she did was move the milk from one side of the fridge to the butter, but added some butter and cheese into the mix.What are your views on the reshuffle and did Justine Greening get sacked or did she really quit of her own accord?

On a side issue, very sad news about James Brokenshire, hope he recovers well.

As I said in my post above, it may well be moving the milk from one side to another, but May is still standing. You've got to give her credit for that.

Not sure about Greening yet, I'll read the papers and see what they say about that.

Yes, sad news about James Brokenshire, but with things deadlocked in Northern Ireland, perhaps Karen Bradley may be able to sort things out there better than he was able to.

• The Scottish Daily Record calls it May's Muppet Show. And that about sums up the whole useless lot of them in my opinion.

If she's allowing ministers to 'persuade her' to leave them where they are she's either made the wrong choices in the first place or is wrong now.

What's really happened is that they have said to her "If you move me, I'm going." She has no one suitable to replace leavers with so we have the ridiculous situation of the monkeys telling the organ grinder what tunes to play.

She really will have to go. If she can't run a the cabinet she can't run the country.

• What is it with ministers refusing to do the job they are given by PM, Jeremy Hunt refusing to give up NHS job, Cameron had the same problem with IDS refusing to leave DWP, just shows the PM up to be weak and ineffectual not that we needed show as the was already apparent.

• Been reading a little bit about this just now and take Justine Greening as the main example here. She has just finished a major piece of work on social mobility and she wanted to see it through, the document was only finished just before Christmas. Greening wanted to stay in her department and May said no, so Greening resigned.

Afterwards May intended to move Jeremy Hunt, but he is doing a lot of work on social care and now his department has been named to reflect that. He made his pitch to May to stay in situ and coming after Greening's departure, May decided to keep him where he was. That sounds like sensible management to me.

What isn't sensible management or good politics is not knowing whether your own ministers are ameniable to being moved or not. For someone who has spent a lifetime in politics, May doesn't seem very good at it, but considering her position, she might well argue differently!

As I said on other treads, I thought May would be gone by now, she hasn't. Perhaps if Brexit goes badly and/or come October, Boris sticks the knife in, then she'll go, but I'm having my doubts now. I reckon she may well stay the course.

• I reckon she may well stay the course.

I don't see any appetite in the Torys for a leadership election in the near future. The pretenders to the throne will be keeping their powder dry until after the next election IMHO. Then win or lose it's all to play for. BREXIT will be done and dusted and most of the Europhiles will have retired or snuffed it.

• The biggest fuss, according to the Independent at least, seems to be about what is usually euphemistically called 'positive discrimination' to bring in more ethnic minorities and women to the cabinet.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politi…h-a8150551.html

The Telegraph ( not premium.) has a report of the abuse aimed at Esther McVey. She is commonly known as Esther McVile among the sick and disabled for her ardent support of draconian policies denying welfare claimants the support they need. Apparently

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/1…-faces-renewed/

• I don't see any appetite in the Torys for a leadership election in the near future. The pretenders to the throne will be keeping their powder dry until after the next election IMHO. Then win or lose it's all to play for. BREXIT will be done and dusted and most of the Europhiles will have retired or snuffed it.

You're probably right Heero, but Brexit is still the biggie. If things go sour in the negoationas, then May will feel the full force of the Brexiteers.

The biggest fuss, according to the Independent at least, seems to be about what is usually euphemistically called 'positive discrimination' to bring in more ethnic minorities and women to the cabinet.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politi…h-a8150551.html

The Telegraph ( not premium.) has a report of the abuse aimed at Esther McVey. She is commonly known as Esther McVile among the sick and disabled for her ardent support of draconian policies denying welfare claimants the support they need. Apparently

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/1…-faces-renewed/

Not had much time yet to look over the details of the new cabinet and junior ministers, but going by May's own words, it seems the reshuffles has been done for PC reasons rather than just political ones.

I am wholly against positive discrimination, full stop. Jobs should be gives to people based soley on their ability to do that job and not for to make "quotas" up.

I am wholly against positive discrimination, full stop. Jobs should be gives to people based soley on their ability to do that job and not for to make "quotas" up

I entirely agree. Unfortunately the mantra seems to be that if ethnic minorities or women are under represented in a particular role it must be due to discrimination rather than a lack of suitable applicants from that particular section of society.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!