What's Theresa May's Future?

Please treat other members in a friendly and respectful manner: Our Community Guidelines.

• She could be the second after-dinner speaker, to help clear the room

Or if Britain brings back capital punishment, she could be the chief executioner

Or she could open up a dance studio in deepest Africa

Or take a major role in a movie remake of The Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Or take another hike. Take a lot of hikes. Go on the 10 most dangerous hikes in the world

• As the old saying goes ... she should take a long walk on a short pier.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I heard today that the letter total is now at 40 , 8 more and hopefully this REMAINER will be shown the door , only nightmare I can see is that another is appointed by the incompetent MP's in the Tory party!

• Well she's united the party, though in opposition to her constant appeasement. 1922 committee hearing on Wednesday. Could be the time that Brutus puts in the final knife. Though which Mark Antony takes over?

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• I heard today that the letter total is now at 40 , 8 more and hopefully this REMAINER will be shown the door , only nightmare I can see is that another is appointed by the incompetent MP's in the Tory party!

I doubt it would have any effect, other than to preserve Mays tenure. There are too many remainers in Parliament that support Mays attempts to ignore our democratic vote.

The 5th column would rather see the UK tied into perpetual subservience, or ruined by such a bad deal to 'teach us a lesson', than honour a democratic vote that doesn't go 'their way'.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I don't see the need to get rid of her until Brexit.

Rather than remove a leader and become a new leader of a divided party that will be unable to deliver a deal that will unite the party, or parliament and get passed..... and hence result in your own post brexit resignation...

Let Theresa take the can for it.

With 40+ votes all EU agreements can be blocked.

This assures a WTO exit.

Which is fine by leaver MP's and fine by the electorate.

So, leaver MP's don't need to compromise or change anything to win.

The others if they recognise this relationship can get on with preparing for a no deal exit.

Lol. Fat chance. The others can keep remoaning ineffectually.

Can Mrs May change tack?

Is she sharp enough to say "I tried my best to get a deal. I offered them more than was reasonable to offer them and they still said 'no.'

No one can deny that the British government did it's best to get a deal with the EU. But we are unable to and so we are now walking away".

If she can bring herself to say that, she will align herself with the majority of the country and can keep office.

But she can't do it, because she's not feeling it. She is a remainer and she hasn't had the honour to resign.

• A new leader before or after Brexit? Your argument for it being afterwards makes sense up to a point (ie not to be holding this poisoned chalice) but it has one disadvantage or lost opportunity: That the new leader who either strikes up an acceptable deal or demonstrates that there is no deal to be had, and does all this in just a couple of months, will be a leader with "The Right Stuff" and he will have a reasonable amount of time to consolidate that reputation in time for the GE

I disagree with you that Theresa May can't change tack because she's not feeling it. She is enough of a devious and obfuscating politician to take whatever position her addled brain might focus upon. Although if by "not feeling it" you really mean that she has no feelings at all and that she is Asperger-ish in the sense of having limited powers of rational thinking and zero powers of qualitative and emotional thinking, then I completely agree. But I also believe that the number one reason why she can't "bring herself to say that she has changed tack" is that she can barely string two words together without reading a script prepared by someone else and she would expose her mental vacuousness within the first couple of minutes of a TV interview which probes into her thoughts which attach to that change of tack.

• Can Mrs May change tack?

Is she sharp enough to say "I tried my best to get a deal. I offered them more than was reasonable to offer them and they still said 'no.'

No one can deny that the British government did it's best to get a deal with the EU. But we are unable to and so we are now walking away".

If she can bring herself to say that, she will align herself with the majority of the country and can keep office.

But she can't do it, because she's not feeling it. She is a remainer and she hasn't had the honour to resign.

I think your scenario is highly plausible, but going by today's papers she's out of time, unless she makes a statement very early on next week.

I said on here all last year that she would be gone by last year's Conservative party conference, more than a year on, she's still there.

Those who hold the high ground and all that...

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Will May get the boot today or very soon? 3

1. Yes (1) 33%
    2. No (1) 33%
    3. Don't know (1) 33%

Will it be May Day today? Time for a snap poll.

• Andrew Neil on Politics Live has just said that 50 conservative MPs have signed up to opposing her Brexit plans, but I'm assuming that's separate from those putting in letters calling for her head.

• but I'm assuming that's separate from those putting in letters calling for her head.

I guess so though there must be common cause here.

It's enough combined with Labour, the SNPs and Libtards to scupper Chequers, at least I hope so.

Especially after this latest appeasement. :cursing:

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• .... Reece-Mogg just asked May about that at PMQs and she replied the UK would retain sovereignty, she didn't quite answer his question..

• Horizon: your poll question reminds me of the story of the general being invited to test a new military strategy computer. So he asks: what is the size and type of military attack & defence capability on xxx's (the enemy's) Southern border and what size and type do I need to attack and overpower them with a maximum of 5% deaths and 15% injuries on our side? The computer whirrs away and two minutes later says "yes". The general fumes with disgust and asks "what kind of cockamamie answer is that? Gimme a proper answer. The computer responds with "Yes Sir"

So when you ask if May will get the boot today or very soon, the answer is definitely yes if “by today or very soon” you mean before the world comes to an end, probably yes if you mean before year end, probably no if you mean by today..

So good luck in your interpretation of the percentages of yes, no and don't know!

I preferred your question "are there any who wish to defend the honour of our beloved PM here?" But do you interpret no replies as an unwillingness to defend her honour or as a temporary inability to type "no" while vomiting at the mere thought of defending her honour? By now I’m sure you know which of those two explanations applies in my case!

• We are starting to worry whether the replacement for Theresa May will be able to save our bacon. especially when the obstacles to success are mostly on this side of the channel (and across the Irish Sea) and even more especially when the electorate is (or was) near evenly split on how to define success.

If you accept the fact that the electorate cannot be content if their standard of living significantly drops and they are having difficulty making ends meet and are dreading the future because they see no end to the fear and uncertainty, then achieving sovereignty is going to be a hollow victory.

In which case, the economic aspect of Leave versus Remain becomes crucial and therefore the big question is no longer whether UK businesses can be persuaded not to downsize and relocate, and international investors steer a wide berth around the UK. The real question is why on earth shouldn't they do that?

I've started to think of another way of looking at all this, partly to preserve my sanity and partly to think outside the box (especially when the box has fallen apart). My "other way" is to tell UK commerce and, of course, the EU, that the UK will allow the transition period to run indefinitely, without a lock-in agreement by either side, and any deal or relationship that seems to have common ground and mutual benefit can be enacted at whatever pace suits the EU and UK, whenever it has the energy and inclination to do so.

During this indefinite period (please let's not bother giving it a name) the UK will pay the EU a provisional/associate/partnership/fee which will adequately reflect whatever quantifiable benefits there are to the UK in having these provisional arrangements. As long as the EU can resist being hustlers trying to run a protection racket and the UK can resist trying to be freeloaders or cheap bargain hunters, this ought to be easy to quantify with the help for a bright accountant who is not trying to make a meal of it and who gets rewarded primarily by results rather than hours.

What the Government needs to explain to UK businesses - indeed, what UK businesses need to explain to themselves - is that, from here on, trading with the EU will be like trading with any other individual country and, assuming the goods or services being traded are wanted by one or other party, the required attributes to make that happen are adaptability, flexibility, an avoidance of nitpicking and quick decision-making. Because, frankly, if UK businesses can't perform that way, then in a global economy they will be dead in the water, and it will serve them right.

I believe that the main reason why multi-national companies have become shy of investing in the UK - or are thinking of relocating elsewhere - is not because the UK seeks to run its affairs as an independent sovereign nation rather than be answerable to a European consortium / cartel / federalisation of nation states. It is because the UK is behaving like a basket case, unable to decide what to do, whether to remain or leave, with a government unable to lead the way, worse than that, a government unable or unwilling to remove a prime minister who is completely unfit to govern and is no longer just dead weight but a tangible liability to the UK's economic health and its worldwide reputation.

In short, just forget about agreements and treaties. Just trade with the EU as if it is another country rather than a trade bloc or cartel. That's what other non-EU countries do. If over time we develop a closer positive relationship than that with the EU, all well and good. But let it happen naturally, with the minimum involvement and interference of Government.

• Theresa May has been applauded by Tory MPs after making a "heartfelt" appeal for unity over Brexit and urging her critics to get behind her.

The prime minister has been addressing all her MPs in Parliament, many of whom are seeking a change of approach.

Asked by one MP what concessions she had made to the EU, she set out areas where the EU had itself given ground.

Former minister Amber Rudd said the PM "won the room" while another MP said it was a "petting zoo, not a lion's den".

There might not be any lions, but you can find other creatures in zoos. Curious analogy.

After the stage managed meeting yesterday, May survives another day, but all these people loudly applauding her like Amber Rudd, have all the reason to stick the boot in her when the time comes. And it will come.

• Despite being the PM, May cannot force every MP to vote in line with her instructions. I hope there are enough democrats in the Commons to reject her BRINO, whatever form it comes in.

• When it comes to it, it will probably be Labour MPs who vote down the deal, rather than Conservative ones. Corbyn will do anything to get into power.

What a mess.:(

• Even if, hopefully, the deal is rejected by parliament and we leave properly in March then she will still have delivered their manifesto commitment to Brexit, unlike the duplicitus Corbyn.

Defeat is certainly not a reason for a GE. The Tories lead by around 5 points in the polls and we know how that lead evaporated last time. I don't think the govenment will risk that again.

4312-gwban-gif

• I think we can say with some certainty that the cock up that has been the so called Brexit negotiations have been all May's own work, the problem is it will all reflect badly on the Tory party in general, even if they get a semi-suitable deal at this point and try to claim it some sort of victory the damage will have been done it may take them offering some rather juicy incentives at the next GE to keep voters happy to assure a Tory victory. ;)

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• If May is still in charge, nothing will entice voters to the Tories. I, for one, will never believe a promise/speech/manifesto of hers, ever again.

If we Brexit, and they get rid of May, they may stand a chance. otherwise, they will have to hope that the fear of Labour is greater than the deceit of the Tories. It didn't work out too well for Cleggie when he failed his promises and ended up unemployed.

• I definitely think the Tories are fortunate that Labour under Corbyn can't be trusted and so may just scrap through the next GE on that alone.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• Labour under Corbyn can't be trusted

The Tory's are indeed fortunate to be opposed by Corbyn's rabble. They're project fear on steroids.

4312-gwban-gif