What's Theresa May's Future?

• Alternative scenarios

With enough MP's like Andrea Jenkyns - and enough voting citizens - saying things like "nobody could fault or doubt her commitment and sense of duty", Theresa May will run the Tory Party right up until the day in which the Labour Party moves into Downing Street. At which point she might leave of her own volition or be gently but firmly led out by men in white coats from a psychiatric centre. Or she might carry on and run for re-election - who is to stop someone with all that vote-winning "commitment and sense of duty"?

So many parallels between 10 Downing Street and the "Fuhrerbunker" in 1945. Just like May, the Fuhrer, right up until his demise, was blaming his commanders for treachery and incompetence. Just like the Americans marching into Berlin from the West, and the Russians from the East, and the Fuhrer topping himself before being strung up or sent to prison for life (or whisked away to South America (you never know!), we have Maybot being led away by Philip and/or the men in white coats and the Labour Party (aka Russia) marching into Maybotbunker from the East versus a gaggle of other parties (Tories, Libs, Greens, Brexiteers, etc) from the West to "take command", continuing our newfound hopelessly divided Britain, just like a divided Berlin in 1945.

The only frightening alternative possibility in all of this will come from the guiding dead hand of Democracy: that unlike in 1945, Maybotfuhrer will win the next General Election. It will be a contest between the living brain-death insanity of Corbyn (and/or puppet master John McDonnel's concealed hand of Marxism) disguised versus the manic "commitment and sense of duty" of Maybot. In a world where the infantile-ism of Artificial Intelligence is on the rise, Maybot might more closely represent the way ahead.

• The 1922 committee is meeting again today and will see May next week, but as they didn't decide to change the rules to get rid of May before, I don't see what has changed since then. It's just going around in circles.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48199725

Does nobody have the balls to get rid of her?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Does nobody have the balls to get rid of her?

They're afraid she'll eat their brains.

You just can't kill her.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• If she just skipped a meal or two, that would probably do it, but I digress...:)

• One would think that the 1922 committee would say to May that if the party gets wiped out at the European elections and if her deal gets defeated a fourth time, they would request that she resigned at that point. But they all seem to be a bunch of servile wimps.

• One would think that the 1922 committee would say to May that if the party gets wiped out at the European elections and if her deal gets defeated a fourth time, they would request that she resigned at that point. But they all seem to be a bunch of servile wimps.

What's the point of REQUESTING that she resign? All she has to reply "request denied". Then what?

What if the 1922 committee want to change the rules to get rid of her right away? They have to have a majority in their committee to do that and either Theresa May has enough members of the committee in her pocket or she can play her killer card, which is to threaten go to the country in a General Election in which she would be running to remain leader. She knows that the 1922 committee knows that if shei nsists on doing that he Tpries will lose to Corbyn. Do you think she cares? Really? In effect Theresa May is able to hold the Tory Party to random. That is why the most overused word attached to every newspaper's sensational stories about UK politics is "could" (as opposed to "will"). Even the word "agree" out of the mouth of Theresa May is not worth spit.

This is how British democracy works. No need to be a dictator. Just slide in under British democracy and you're in clover

• to threaten go to the country in a General Election in which she would be running to remain leader.

Tory war chest is empty so that option is effectively closed. Dead woman walking.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• In effect Theresa May is able to hold the Tory Party to random.

That has been the case, but it looks like her reign is over:

Theresa May agrees to set timetable to choose successor

Theresa May has promised to set a timetable for the election of her successor after the next Brexit vote in the first week of June.

The agreement follows a meeting between the prime minister and senior Tory MPs who are demanding a date for her departure from Downing Street.

If she loses the vote on her Brexit plan, already rejected three times, sources told the BBC she would resign.

Yeah!:):):) Although, I shouldn't celebrate yet, as she hasn't gone yet.

What an aboslute mess she has made over Brexit and even if someone like Boris took over, I think the Conservatives have used up their nine lives with the electorate.

• Yeah! :):):) Although, I shouldn't celebrate yet, as she hasn't gone yet.

I wouldn't celebrate until she's really gone: Garlic and wooden stake don't you know. Where's Van Helsing when you really need him? Truly the worst Tory leader in modern history.

4312-gwban-gif

• it looks like her reign is over:

Although, I shouldn't celebrate yet, as she hasn't gone yet.

Who can make her go?

What if she insists on staying or choose to call general election? In effect, either I stay or the Tories get slaughtered in the next GE

• True, but then she'd have all the other Conservative MPs against her as well as the Brexit ones.

Graham Brady seemed confident her time is up, as did the smiling Boris.<X

• Well, we all know she will be leaving by the end of the year, and whilst I didn't actually want her as PM, I don't really understand what she has done wrong. Unlike so many other MP's she tried to deliver Brexit albeit she was a remainer. It sickens me to the core that there are MP's who have no respect for democracy, and this includes the entire Lib Dem party. OK, she hasn't managed to get it through, but when you have so many different opinions on what is right for the party, and so few politicians being prepared to give a little, I'm not sure if anyone could have done better. Perhaps we need a political system that is a little more autocratic ?

The real fact is that none will ever actually know if she has or hasn't been a good PM, because she hasn't really been given the opportunity. If the woman has any sense she will take some of her enormous wealth, travel the world and find herself a toy boy.

Don't make me angry

• Unlike so many other MP's she tried to deliver Brexit albeit she was a remainer.

I disagree. She never tried to deliver Brexit. She rejected the possibility of a FTA with the EU in favour of Chequers, which is not, and never will be, anything but Remain, but without an exit clause.

• Bibbles, your view was the same as mine, but after Chequers as Fidget says, that's when my view started to change. And when David Davis came out and said that No 10 had in effect been operating a parallel Brexit department to his, including their plan, which is the government's "deal" today she's trying to get view parliament, I see her as nothing but dishonest and deceitful.

She hasn't tried to deliver Brexit, she has tried to derail it and she has had all the time in the world to deliver it.

• Theresa May is expected to announce the date of her departure from Downing Street on Friday morning, senior cabinet ministers have told the BBC.

Sources say they expect the PM to give a timetable for her successor to be chosen, with 10 June likely to be the start of the official leadership race.

Mrs May is due to meet the chairman of Tory backbenchers on Friday.

Lets hope this pre-news turns out to be true and she does give a date. Today would be good for me.

• Lets hope this pre-news turns out to be true and she does give a date. Today would be good for me.

You'll be lucky, she's going to hang on and try to give her Hokey Cokey deal another shot. The nice young men in white coats will have to get one of those jackets that tie up round the back and drag her out by the heels to the waiting padded van.

4312-gwban-gif

• To be quite honest, I would like to see her prosecuted as a reward for trying to tie us into the EU permanently and effectively removing any semblance of democracy.

• Breaking: May resigns effective 7th June. Just after Trumps visit. Caretaker PM until sucessor is elected.

4312-gwban-gif

• To be quite honest, I would like to see her prosecuted as a reward for trying to tie us into the EU permanently and effectively removing any semblance of democracy.

No. I want to move on and the next PM to deliver Brexit and get on with running the country.

• Theresa May to resign as prime minister

Theresa May has said she will quit as Conservative leader on 7 June, paving the way for a contest to decide a new prime minister.

In an emotional statement, she said she had done her best to deliver Brexit and it was a matter of "deep regret" that she had been unable to do so.

Being prime minister had been the "honour of my life", she said.

Mrs May said she would continue to serve as PM while a Conservative leadership contest takes place.

Breaking: May resigns effective 7th June. Just after Trumps visit. Caretaker PM until sucessor is elected.

I'm sure Trump will have a comment to make on her leadership over the last few years, assuming he can keep his hands to himself.:)

• Oh dear.

I've just seen the news and saw May breaking down at the end of her resignation speech into almost tears. I wanted to her to go, but not like that and it's not something I'm gleeful about.:(

• It was a very difficult task she took on. Dozens of politicians who want to remain because they have their dirty little pockets to line. Regardless of who ever takes over next, I am not sure what they are going to do. Even though the British public voted out, and the EU polls are just about to prove that we are more Brexit than ever, the Lib Dems are still fighting to stay in. Perhaps, just perhaps, if politicians had any interest in democracy, we would have already left. I want Gove, but I think it may well be Boris next.

Don't make me angry

• It was a very difficult task she took on. Dozens of politicians who want to remain because they have their dirty little pockets to line. Regardless of who ever takes over next, I am not sure what they are going to do. Even though the British public voted out, and the EU polls are just about to prove that we are more Brexit than ever, the Lib Dems are still fighting to stay in. Perhaps, just perhaps, if politicians had any interest in democracy, we would have already left. I want Gove, but I think it may well be Boris next.

Gove is a snake , all members currently in her cabinet are as trustworthy as a backstreet car dealer.

It was a difficult task, but it was one she chose to do and not in the end, in a honest way. Betraying David Davis with her alternative "deal" which Downing Steet had been working on for ages, was a terrible thing to do to him, his staff and the country.

Gove is a slimeball and he certainly wouldn't be my choice.

Gove is a snake , all members currently in her cabinet are as trustworthy as a backstreet car dealer.

Ah, I should've read the next post before posting, but yeah, snake is much better.:)

• So now we have to wait for the rats to decide who to make king/queen rat, yet another excuse to delay Brexit and then there's no guarantee that they will be able to come up with a deal that works. :rolleyes:

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• So now we have to wait for the rats to decide who to make king/queen rat, yet another excuse to delay Brexit and then there's no guarantee that they will be able to come up with a deal that works. :rolleyes:

Outside No10 on accepting the job our new PM should Rip up the treaty May got in front of the nation , no ambiguity from day one!

• Outside No10 on accepting the job our new PM should Rip up the treaty May got in front of the nation , no ambiguity from day one!

Like they say and pigs might fly and if they did the price of bacon would go up.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• The Brits love a loser. "It's not whether you lose, it's how you play the game". "Full marks for effort". It was with such sanctimonious claptrap that it took several decades before a British man won Wimbledon and, even then, surprise surprise, it was a Scot rather than an Englishman, and one who chose to learn tennis abroad, not merely because of the climate but rather to avoid being handicapped by rules-&-regulations-besotted England.

As for Theresa May, it's not just that she lost, it's also that she did not "play the game". She lied, evaded, obfuscated and went behind her ministers' back unless they were craven yes-men. She never gave a straight answer to a straight question - in that particular regard she made other politicians seem the pinnacle of transparency (which is one heck of a non-accomplishment). Even her departing speech on the steps of Downing Street was a pathetic pretence of innocent victim-hood, of Poor Little Me, sob sob, betrayed by all those beastly backstabbing politicians who "wouldn't vote for what I offered them, who just refused to recognise how good my deal was". Delusional right to the end.

Why wait until June 7. What is she going to do between now and then? Shake hands with Mister Trump? Feed the cat? Feed her husband? Start writing her legacy? (On the back of a postage stamp?). Like everything else about her, she fluffed her farewell speech. That was the time to apologise, without excuses, to admit that she thought she was up to the job but took too long to come to terms with the fact that she was not, to admit that her communication abilities were worse than expected and that being Home Secretary did not test and expose that disability. To admit , that it took too long to realise she was out of her depth. To admit to hubris. That's the proper way to bow out with grace, dignity, honesty and humility, not like a little girl losing a tennis match and saying it was because someone didn't tie her shoelaces properly.

I'm puzzled about her husband. Did he ever come to realise he had married a dud? Had he decided to be resigned to making the best of it? Or was she the dominant partner, the Darth Vader of wives, who would give him hell (without the compensation SM gratification) if he didn't offer unreserved support rather than tell her in no uncertain terms the way it is, or at least recommended she see a psychiatrist? Any guesses what she'll make on the after-dinner circuit? Enough for the Uber fare home? What kind of restaurant can she now go to without diners staring at her or being sorely tempted to say to her "why don't you pay my restaurant bill after all the money I've lost thanks to you?"

PS I just learned that the last lap of Boris's prospective inauguration is to gain the approval of Tory members at a constituency level. That could be the final roadblock, gaining the votes of those who aspire to mediocrity. With yet another non-entity at the helm, another f-ing safe pair of f-ing hands, Theresa May will have the last laugh.