What's Theresa May's Future?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Alternative scenarios

With enough MP's like Andrea Jenkyns - and enough voting citizens - saying things like "nobody could fault or doubt her commitment and sense of duty", Theresa May will run the Tory Party right up until the day in which the Labour Party moves into Downing Street. At which point she might leave of her own volition or be gently but firmly led out by men in white coats from a psychiatric centre. Or she might carry on and run for re-election - who is to stop someone with all that vote-winning "commitment and sense of duty"?

So many parallels between 10 Downing Street and the "Fuhrerbunker" in 1945. Just like May, the Fuhrer, right up until his demise, was blaming his commanders for treachery and incompetence. Just like the Americans marching into Berlin from the West, and the Russians from the East, and the Fuhrer topping himself before being strung up or sent to prison for life (or whisked away to South America (you never know!), we have Maybot being led away by Philip and/or the men in white coats and the Labour Party (aka Russia) marching into Maybotbunker from the East versus a gaggle of other parties (Tories, Libs, Greens, Brexiteers, etc) from the West to "take command", continuing our newfound hopelessly divided Britain, just like a divided Berlin in 1945.

The only frightening alternative possibility in all of this will come from the guiding dead hand of Democracy: that unlike in 1945, Maybotfuhrer will win the next General Election. It will be a contest between the living brain-death insanity of Corbyn (and/or puppet master John McDonnel's concealed hand of Marxism) disguised versus the manic "commitment and sense of duty" of Maybot. In a world where the infantile-ism of Artificial Intelligence is on the rise, Maybot might more closely represent the way ahead.

• One would think that the 1922 committee would say to May that if the party gets wiped out at the European elections and if her deal gets defeated a fourth time, they would request that she resigned at that point. But they all seem to be a bunch of servile wimps.

• One would think that the 1922 committee would say to May that if the party gets wiped out at the European elections and if her deal gets defeated a fourth time, they would request that she resigned at that point. But they all seem to be a bunch of servile wimps.

What's the point of REQUESTING that she resign? All she has to reply "request denied". Then what?

What if the 1922 committee want to change the rules to get rid of her right away? They have to have a majority in their committee to do that and either Theresa May has enough members of the committee in her pocket or she can play her killer card, which is to threaten go to the country in a General Election in which she would be running to remain leader. She knows that the 1922 committee knows that if shei nsists on doing that he Tpries will lose to Corbyn. Do you think she cares? Really? In effect Theresa May is able to hold the Tory Party to random. That is why the most overused word attached to every newspaper's sensational stories about UK politics is "could" (as opposed to "will"). Even the word "agree" out of the mouth of Theresa May is not worth spit.

This is how British democracy works. No need to be a dictator. Just slide in under British democracy and you're in clover

• In effect Theresa May is able to hold the Tory Party to random.

That has been the case, but it looks like her reign is over:

Theresa May agrees to set timetable to choose successor

Theresa May has promised to set a timetable for the election of her successor after the next Brexit vote in the first week of June.

The agreement follows a meeting between the prime minister and senior Tory MPs who are demanding a date for her departure from Downing Street.

If she loses the vote on her Brexit plan, already rejected three times, sources told the BBC she would resign.

Yeah!:):):) Although, I shouldn't celebrate yet, as she hasn't gone yet.

What an aboslute mess she has made over Brexit and even if someone like Boris took over, I think the Conservatives have used up their nine lives with the electorate.

• Yeah! :):):) Although, I shouldn't celebrate yet, as she hasn't gone yet.

I wouldn't celebrate until she's really gone: Garlic and wooden stake don't you know. Where's Van Helsing when you really need him? Truly the worst Tory leader in modern history.

• it looks like her reign is over:

Although, I shouldn't celebrate yet, as she hasn't gone yet.

Who can make her go?

What if she insists on staying or choose to call general election? In effect, either I stay or the Tories get slaughtered in the next GE

• Well, we all know she will be leaving by the end of the year, and whilst I didn't actually want her as PM, I don't really understand what she has done wrong. Unlike so many other MP's she tried to deliver Brexit albeit she was a remainer. It sickens me to the core that there are MP's who have no respect for democracy, and this includes the entire Lib Dem party. OK, she hasn't managed to get it through, but when you have so many different opinions on what is right for the party, and so few politicians being prepared to give a little, I'm not sure if anyone could have done better. Perhaps we need a political system that is a little more autocratic ?

The real fact is that none will ever actually know if she has or hasn't been a good PM, because she hasn't really been given the opportunity. If the woman has any sense she will take some of her enormous wealth, travel the world and find herself a toy boy.

The intelligent are being oppressed so the stupid don't get offended

• Unlike so many other MP's she tried to deliver Brexit albeit she was a remainer.

I disagree. She never tried to deliver Brexit. She rejected the possibility of a FTA with the EU in favour of Chequers, which is not, and never will be, anything but Remain, but without an exit clause.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Bibbles, your view was the same as mine, but after Chequers as Fidget says, that's when my view started to change. And when David Davis came out and said that No 10 had in effect been operating a parallel Brexit department to his, including their plan, which is the government's "deal" today she's trying to get view parliament, I see her as nothing but dishonest and deceitful.

She hasn't tried to deliver Brexit, she has tried to derail it and she has had all the time in the world to deliver it.

• Theresa May is expected to announce the date of her departure from Downing Street on Friday morning, senior cabinet ministers have told the BBC.

Sources say they expect the PM to give a timetable for her successor to be chosen, with 10 June likely to be the start of the official leadership race.

Mrs May is due to meet the chairman of Tory backbenchers on Friday.

Lets hope this pre-news turns out to be true and she does give a date. Today would be good for me.

• Lets hope this pre-news turns out to be true and she does give a date. Today would be good for me.

You'll be lucky, she's going to hang on and try to give her Hokey Cokey deal another shot. The nice young men in white coats will have to get one of those jackets that tie up round the back and drag her out by the heels to the waiting padded van.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• To be quite honest, I would like to see her prosecuted as a reward for trying to tie us into the EU permanently and effectively removing any semblance of democracy.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!